2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#321618 - 28/08/06 08:46 PM Martinez Cabin Damage
Accasbel Offline

Loc: Chanhassen, MN USA
BradB, Relix, (from other boards - no AzXC???) and I romped through Box Canyon letting the kids play in the water. Fun stuff. Eventually we decided to visit Martinez Cabins. Well, rememebr how ya drop down and enter a stand of Cottonwoods sheltering a small concrete water catchment? One of those big old Cottonwood that has decided to fall and block the trail - just a 1/4 mile from the cabins.

That small sign on the tree:

Trees happen, no big deal, but upstream of the water catchment somebody decided to blaze a trail. That way is now blocked by a nastygram reporting it to the BLM.

Oh well, we walked. Here's what we found:

Somebody has a poor sense of self-worth and consideration for others.

#321619 - 29/08/06 12:27 AM Re: Martinez Cabin Damage
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
That just sucks. No wonder trails are being closed. mad Sorry that I couldn't make it. I had to ferry kids back and forth to school. About a hundred miles a day or about 4 hours worth of driving.

#321620 - 11/02/07 08:21 AM Re: Martinez Cabin Damage
Anonymous
Unregistered

Guys,

I know this is old and I apologize in advance for bringing it back from the dead, but I felt the record should be set straight.

The tree has been removed. The trail is not blocked. The sign that was posted was written by Tom Taylor who is a Seirra Club activist and (frankly) a damn hypocrite and liar. He is merely a volunteer for the BLM....not an official spokesman. He's trying his damnedest to get Martinez CLOSED to anything but hikers.

The cabin that you see with the wall knocked out was NOT done by offroaders. It was caused by recent rains (as was proven by BLM's investigation of the claim that 4 wheelers had done it), not us.

JFYI,
Sean

BTW, there is some truth to the allegations that Martinez may very soon close. Many coalitions are working to try and keep it open, but the prognosis doesn't look good. If you haven't run the canyon, you may wish to do so soon. I have a feeling its days are numbered.

#321621 - 11/02/07 02:42 PM Re: Martinez Cabin Damage
Anonymous
Unregistered

We've been out there since and everything is open. I traded correspondence with the
BLM, as did several other SWANKies and as of now, there are not plans to close the area.

Do your part and pick up trash when on the trails.

#321622 - 11/02/07 02:43 PM Re: Martinez Cabin Damage
Anonymous
Unregistered

To add, I've met that volunteer screwball out there. He's definitely a piece of work.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal