shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#323076 - 23/12/05 10:25 AM Re: The best Xmas ever !
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I know visually it doesn't look like I've done much since the last update, but I got the u-joints and driveshaft back in, made u-bolt plates, new extended brake line in, bled the brakes, and put the thing back together. Just need figure out the shock mounting thing. There's two tabs already there, but I'm gonna have some long-a$$ shocks if I use those (which could be a good thing - articulation won't be limited as much).

Then it's on to the front...that's gonna be harder. Need to shorten the drag link, and mate it to the pitman arm... I won't be doing that work. smile

EDIT: So I needed to turn the turd around so I can work on the front.... Took it around the block with the ass end sky-high. Looked pretty funny (and got a couple looks from the neighbors), but nothing blew up at 25mph for a couple minutes - so far so good. Now the front is up on jack stands and I'll starting ripping it apart after xmas. smile

Done (w/ ugly exhaust - need to put the bumper on too...):

Side view: (30's will be replaced with 33" MTRs here soon too):

EDIT #2 - Mockup w/ 33's. laugh

EDIT #3 - Actually got it OUTSIDE for once. (Holy cripes, it's ugly...) smile

#323077 - 29/12/05 09:27 AM Re: The best Xmas ever !
johnnyx Offline
J

Might as well keep the thread going - kinda helps keep me going. smile

The progress (fortunately) continues (always way too late at night though...). Got the front out and swapped all the brake lines to the new axle.

Managed to break my pitman arm puller though...need a stronger one to break free 40+ years of rust/muck.

#323078 - 29/12/05 11:01 AM Re: The best Xmas ever !
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Might as well keep the thread going - kinda helps keep me going.
YOU CAN DO IT!!
laugh
It looks great dude. I just had a conversation w/ myself recently and decided to re-fi the house and pay off some stuff. I'm looking to put gears and a winch on the X. That'll pretty much finish that smile . Then I'm gonna' kick down some change to the SCOUT laugh . 4" lift, 33 MTs, rollcage, seats, and seatbelts.. Of course I'll need a car for a DD at that point, maybe an early Z-car?..

#323079 - 29/12/05 02:43 PM Re: The best Xmas ever !
Anonymous
Unregistered

Damn it guys!

I know that I haven't met any of you guys yet. I have had the X since May and have done my PML(new Calmini torsions/shackles), Shrock bumper, front, eng/trans skid, teh skids that I bought off of Mike that I need to modify a bit, other minor mods, and Bils on the way, just need to go out with you guys and wheel it. 17 month old and a soon to arrive new baby is the only thing limiting me right now.

If I keep seeing this movement to get the old stock out and running, I'll have to finish up my 73 Bronco. It has a Protofab 3.5" long travel suspension, dual 9000's per corner, 302, C4, 44 front/limited slip, 9" rear/detroit, custom tube bumpers, 9000# winch.

I need to finish up my brakes (disc conversion on the 44), drop a motor back in, put the fresh tranny/tranfer case back in and go!

I do have access to a bender/dies, and a mig welder. My brother and I own the setup. He does more bending than me.

I'll try to make the next meeting, but the baby thing is the x factor right now.

Rob

#323080 - 29/12/05 09:02 PM Re: The best Xmas ever !
johnnyx Offline
J

Quote:
Originally posted by Sinagua:
....If I keep seeing this movement to get the old stock out and running, I'll have to finish up my 73 Bronco. ...Rob
Nice! Got pics?

My good buddy has one too - about 3 different colors, lifted, locked and beat to hell. He says "Sliders? Why? I use my rockers as sliders." [ThumbsUp]

#323081 - 30/12/05 12:15 AM Re: The best Xmas ever !
johnnyx Offline
J

This may look like a lot of progress but lots more to do - but the axle is under the truck. Finally.

Now I only need....new ujoints for the front DS, extend the DS about 2", brake line mounts/tabs welded in, shock mounts on the axle, shocks (F & R), soft brake line from the axle up to the master cylinder "area", shorten the drag link, taper the pitman arm, put the MTRs on, etc, etc, etc.... But hey, I'm gettin' there. smile

As it sits, it's at ride height (add another 1.5" for the 33's when installed too). Even though the front axle is on jackstands, the tires are maybe a quarter inch off the floor. The weight of the truck is on the axle. This thing is gonna be TALL.

I met a guy today as well that might be able to make me a full cage too. [ThumbsUp] I don't trust the factory "show bar"... eek [Too much XOC]

#323082 - 30/12/05 07:53 AM Re: The best Xmas ever !
Anonymous
Unregistered

No digital pics and all of my old pics are away somewhere. Right now it is sitting under tarps at a friends house, my association would be all over me if I had it here.

Mine is the Grabber Blue color with a white accent along the bottom. The hood is the only part that is primered since I had the hood louvered.

To get it going I'm probably going to replace all of my brakelines hopefully after taxes. Only about $175 and some time!

By the way, I enjoy watching the progress on the scout. Keep it up.

Rob

#323083 - 23/01/06 11:21 PM Re: The best Xmas ever !
johnnyx Offline
J

Time for another update! It drives (and stops)! laugh [Too much XOC]

Well, the solid axle/spring over swap is nearly finished (replaced my SUA 27's with a sprung over 30 & 44 w/ 3.73's). Woohoo.

Bent, hooked up, and bled the new brake line(s), made sure every nut and bolt was nice and snug and proceeded to back her outa the garage very very gingerly hoping to be able to avoid the neighbors house in case of disaster.

Went about a mile or so around my house (in case of need to walk) and everything seemed to be pretty good. Definite bump steer though going 30 mph and hitting some cross-drainage dips in the road (2" shackes are coming off ASAP), but overall I'm pretty happy with it. Front DS needs to go on still and reassess the shocks front and back, but hey, it goes (and stops!)!

Sorry...I know the pics are dark, but that's what happens when you only work on it at night.

Those are 30" BFG's on 15x8 wheels. The used 33" MTRs are in the garage. If they work, great, if not, I'll do something different

[Wave]

#323084 - 16/02/06 09:52 PM Re: The best Xmas ever !
johnnyx Offline
J

New pics (and a link for Dan).

Dan - that dual reservoir brake thing - looks like a cheap, easy, and more importantly, safer upgrade: http://www.justih.org/Binder-Bench/showthread.php?p=41847#post41847
Also - went to the Binder meeting a couple weeks ago. Ronnie wanted to know when you're gonna get your crap out there for all to see. laugh

Here's a couple new pics too (in the daylight!). I actually drove mine from FLW & 100th St area to downtown Tempe. I won't attempt the freeway yet with no front shocks, but it did well. Only broke the speedo on the way over. Still workin' on the damn front driveshaft...ujoints too tight for my liking so I'm MacGyvering them somehow. laugh

I bought this thing in March last year... the goal was to have it SOA'd and driving well w/in one year. Guess I'd better finish it up!

Yes, bumper mounts are crooked... smile :

Took the big-ass lift shackles off so the steering is much better over bumpy stuff on the road:

Side shot:

Okay...Nissan related. After getting rear-ended on the fwy on Saturday, I worked it out w/ the guy to pay me cash for half of the highly-inflated estimate for repairs. I still came in under budget and replaced all damaged parts in 1 hr. smile

#323085 - 16/03/06 11:34 PM Re: The best Xmas ever !
johnnyx Offline
J

Time for another update. (...keeps my momentum going. laugh )

Got my 33" MTRs on it tonight and put new brake shoes on the front. (Sorry, as usual, when I finish something there's no daylight shots...)

Still need to work on tightening an oil filter adapter...it's not ready to drive more than a couple minutes with that issue...

Yes, that's kitty litter under it...soaking up the oil from the big ol canister that leaks everywhere and then practially blows up when you try to remove it... It's gone now. smile

#323086 - 17/03/06 07:05 AM Re: The best Xmas ever !
Anonymous
Unregistered

I love it, I keep telling myself - Next year I'll get one of those! smile Looking awesome dude.

#323087 - 17/03/06 10:40 AM Re: The best Xmas ever !
johnnyx Offline
J

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
I love it, I keep telling myself - Next year I'll get one of those! smile Looking awesome dude.
Dan's got one he's not using. I'll help you write up an offer. [LOL] [Wave] wink wink

#323088 - 17/03/06 01:11 PM Re: The best Xmas ever !
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know Dans already had a few offers of way more than I'd pay! smile I'll be looking to put around $1000 absolute max into one. Then using it to learn some Welding skills, replacing bodywork, floor, fabricating a rollcage etc.

#323089 - 17/03/06 04:19 PM Re: The best Xmas ever !
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looking good John, As a man I know once said
"What difference it makes with a lift and some tires".

#323090 - 17/03/06 07:33 PM Re: The best Xmas ever !
johnnyx Offline
J

Quote:
Originally posted by MyxH3:
Looking good John, As a man I know once said
"What difference it makes with a lift and some tires".
Holy smokes! You got that right! Mike, that looks sweet! [drink] [ThumbsUp] [drink] [ThumbsUp]

#323091 - 17/03/06 10:23 PM Re: The best Xmas ever !
johnnyx Offline
J

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
I know Dans already had a few offers of way more than I'd pay! smile I'll be looking to put around $1000 absolute max into one. Then using it to learn some Welding skills, replacing bodywork, floor, fabricating a rollcage etc.
Yeah, his is in pretty good shape.

I think I've got a grand total of about $1,750 or so total into mine - and I bought new axles, wheels, custom steering, interior, etc, etc. Would've been easier to buy something else already built, but that's not as much fun. I like to drive a "self-inflicted/created crap heap." smile

#323092 - 18/03/06 01:27 PM Re: The best Xmas ever !
johnnyx Offline
J

couple more in the daylight...and NOT in the driveway...but it's still on pavement... :p :

Can you say "approach angle"? laugh

#323093 - 18/03/06 03:39 PM Re: The best Xmas ever !
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Looking good. [ThumbsUp]

#323094 - 20/03/06 04:17 PM Re: The best Xmas ever !
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi John [Wave] I met Ron (IH) in CK Sunday, nice guy. [drink] Where were you? It was one of the best days EVAR to be on that trail laugh . Your rig looks awesome and you've done a great job on it yourself [ThumbsUp] I'm fixin' to start up on mine here soon too [Smoking] ..

#323095 - 21/03/06 01:44 PM Re: The best Xmas ever !
johnnyx Offline
J

Yeah, Ronnie is a great guy. Always willing to help. [ThumbsUp]

Uhh...over the weekend...Uhh...I literally ran 20 miles Sunday morning, so I did computer work the rest of the day. laugh

I did just finish adjusting my brakes too, then loosening the motor mount to be able to tighten the oil filter adapter. Yeah, you know the one. wink Now I need to address the 7 other leaks. laugh

Seriously, get that thing driving soon! Would love to hit some unpaved roads and see how these old things do. smile

#323096 - 04/06/06 04:40 PM Re: The best Xmas ever !
johnnyx Offline
J

Making further progress. I fabbed up...I mean...bought me some tube doors. laugh

Someday it will actually see the trail. :rolleyes: (but it sure looks good! smile ))

#323097 - 04/06/06 05:52 PM Re: The best Xmas ever !
Anonymous
Unregistered

Damn dude, take her off road and take lots O pics. Looks awesome.

#323098 - 04/06/06 08:03 PM Re: The best Xmas ever !
johnnyx Offline
J

Thanks Roger. All the muscles in my hands are killin' me now. [Uh Oh !] [Too much XOC] Six screws took nearly two hours to remove...hammer...impact screwdriver...hammer...more hammer...some PB Blaster... swearing, sweating, swearing, OUT!

I bought a new ebrake cable too. I might be able to actually park on something with more of a 1/2 degree angle. [LOL]

#323099 - 07/06/06 08:21 PM Re: The best Xmas ever !
Yellow Gecko Offline

Loc: Glendale,AZ
Looks good man where did you get the tires? It is time for me to hit the trail again too. I can finally park in the drive way w/o dripping all over.

#323100 - 08/06/06 09:11 AM Re: The best Xmas ever !
johnnyx Offline
J

Quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Gecko:
Looks good man where did you get the tires?
Found 3 on craigslist.org, and found two more from a guy who's house I listed. Funny story, I had posted a msg saying I'm looking for something in a 33" that holds air for a "project truck" and when I went to pick 'em he saw the RE/MAX sticker on my Armada and said "you're a Realtor?" "Wanna sell my house?" BTW, the tires were free (kinda chunked up, but free smile )

Quote:
It is time for me to hit the trail again too. I can finally park in the drive way w/o dripping all over.
Yeah, I'm *almost* to the not-leaking stage...only about 5 more leaks to take care of! [LOL] :rolleyes: [LOL]

I finally got a parking brake cable too (still need to install it....). My previous parking brake was a 18" long piece of 4x4 (pressure treated, of course.) [ThumbsUp]

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal