shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#323176 - 02/07/08 06:50 AM How much trimming to fit 33"s?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I read the stickies in the tire forum & searched but would still like some input.

How much trimming will I need to do to fit 33"s on my 2001 X with a 2" BL?

The stickies said 31"s would require trimming, but that's what I'm running now & didn't have to do anything. I'd rather not mess with the metal if I don't have too, but I've got a Sawzall & a hammer if need be.

Am I correct in assuming the rear tires will be fine & its just the front tires I need to worry about due to turning?

#323177 - 02/07/08 07:40 AM Re: How much trimming to fit 33"s?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tom, I think you'll have to remove the plastic pieces that are toward the rear of the front fenders and that will be all. Tomas has 33's on his and I think that is what he did. If all else fails, get the shoes and then trim where needed. laugh

Are you thinking the Destination A/T's? I really like mine so far.

#323178 - 02/07/08 10:09 AM Re: How much trimming to fit 33"s?
Anonymous
Unregistered

You'll want 10.50s on stock wheels for the least amount of interference. You'll need to trim the plastic quite a bit, and you'llalso need to trim the lower edge of the fender and the pinch seam. A grinder with a cutoff wheel works well for this. Find the lower bolt that holds the fender to the pinch seam, go about 1/4 - 1/2" ahead of it and cut away. This sounds funny, but once you've cut away the fender and the seam, smooth it with a BFH so no sharp, tire cutting edges are exposed.

If you live in Mesa, you can stop by some early evening and I can show you what to remove, and you can look at how it's done on either of my trucks.

#323179 - 02/07/08 04:12 PM Re: How much trimming to fit 33"s?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Adam, I'm looking at going the Destination M/T route. I was expecting I'd have to remove the front plastic.

Thanks for the tip DR. I may take you up on your offer if I can't figure it out. I'll now better once I get up under there.

#323180 - 02/07/08 06:37 PM Re: How much trimming to fit 33"s?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Front plastic is overrated. You will want the pizza cutter 10.50's though for the least amount of issues.

#323181 - 05/07/08 06:37 PM Re: How much trimming to fit 33"s?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go black steelies with 4.75" backpacing and 33X10.5. Great combo! Least amount of rubbing, and the 4.75" backspacing gives it some beef over the stock 5.5" (doesn't look pizza cutter). You don't need a wide tire for out here in my opinion... Toss the plastic up front as well! Good luck on it all!

Good reading here: Tire selection

#323182 - 07/07/08 07:04 AM Re: How much trimming to fit 33"s?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by pluvo:
Adam, I'm looking at going the Destination M/T route. I was expecting I'd have to remove the front plastic.

Thanks for the tip DR. I may take you up on your offer if I can't figure it out. I'll now better once I get up under there.
Cool Tom, I don't think you'll be dissapointed there. Post some pics when they're on...!

#323183 - 08/07/08 12:16 PM Re: How much trimming to fit 33"s?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I removed the plastic from the front fender and trimmed about an inch off from the front fender by the door where the plastic was. I removed only about an inch then bent over the sharp edge with a soft mallet. It looks pretty uniform and haven't had any rubbing. I have 305's on my truck.

#323184 - 08/07/08 02:42 PM Re: How much trimming to fit 33"s?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like you've pretty much already got it figured out. But here's what I did last year to get 33's to fit with a 2" BL. The wheels I was using had 4" BS and I eventually upgraded to a wheel with 5.25" BS and still never had any rubbing issues.

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=00331 1#000000

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal