shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#323895 - 04/03/03 10:21 PM Lock-up torque converter
xterracal Offline

Loc: Surprise Arizona
I have a 2001 X and the other day I went to start it and it jumped forward as I turned the key. Just like if you try to start a standard that is in gear without the clutch pushed in. Could it be the torque converter not unlocking? Do they have a locking torque converter? Any assistance would be helpfull before I bring it to the dealer.

Thanks. [Wave]

#323896 - 05/03/03 06:45 AM Re: Lock-up torque converter
XterrAZ Offline

Loc: Anthem, Arizona
I know that "nothing's impossible" but that doesn't sound likely. With an automatic, when you put it in "Park" it engages a park pawl (lever) into a cog in the direct drum inside the transmission. Pretty much locks the transmission from moving, if your torque convertor clutch was staying engaged you wouldn't be able to turn the engine over in park, realistically. Stranger things have happened but I would look more into something in the way of the tranny jumping out of park. Interesting problem though.

Take it to the dealer and explain what happened. If they bring out a straight jacket, run laugh

Good luck.

#323897 - 05/03/03 08:31 PM Re: Lock-up torque converter
xterracal Offline

Loc: Surprise Arizona
Thanks for the input. If it didn't happen to me personally,I wouldn't have believed it. I didn't think it was possible. I'll find out and let you all know.

Thanks! [Wave]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal