2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#325077 - 14/04/08 04:45 PM xterra submarine
Anonymous
Unregistered

ok so my truck is finally running again! laugh

what happened (and still unsure why other than 4 ft of water for the wisenhimers) was that my coil went bad. the coil is inside the distributer and is not a replaceable item on its own. so a new distributer was in order. but we still weren't getting spark yet. checking the crankshaft position sensor proved fruitless (and a major pain). before all this yes we did check all the fuses, fusable links, and relays. i know more about my truck now than i ever wanted to!! so after much deliberation we ended up going with getting a new/used ECU (brain). a new one costs about $550, but wally is the man and was able to find one for $150 used.. and sure enough as soon as we plugged it in, it started right up..

we did move the brain to the left side of the glove box. so it is now about 2.5 ft higher. which is a good thing if you like to see if your X makes a good boat. the good thing about putting it to the left of the glove box(and ill put up a pic or 2 later) is that i still have a usable glove box.

now there are other challenges to face, but nothing too major..
- rip out all carpets and padding underneath (padding still wet after 3-4 weeks). clean carpets and replace padding.
- silicone and seal all connections under hood as well as the fire wall and all holes in truck body. (possibly compressed air in a foggy truck and watch for smoke coming out)
-new brakes (which were from before and i have the parts)
-PML (again have the parts just on th list)
-change all fluids and re lube (trans, oil, diff, lube points, bearings)
-and i just installed new speakers cause the old ones got waterlogged. but i think i also blew them out a while ago.. (if its too loud your too old)
-find a way to seal up the doors because alot of water comes in through the doors, fast!!!
-new tires and rims(need to find out if 4.75 or 4 inches of backspacing is too much)

the water level was up to the drivers door handle one the drivers side (wish i had a pic but was too busy getting it out quick was turning over on its own).. so the inside was over the seats. was interesting to see all the water pour out when i opened the doors. and the water in the cup holders a day or 2 later.

BUT at least it runs.
Thank you very VERY much to "Wally and Chris" for all the help/did most of it cause i had no way of getting over there.
and also a big thanks to the shop next door to doing all the electronic testing to find out what was wrong both times..
and a big thanks to "First Class Auto Body" for letting me store my truck there as well as work on it there..

this was a bit of a "P.I.T.A." but i got a lot of help from a lot of people(mostly wally cause hes the man)but it is now running. and thats a VERY good start(no pun intended).

#325078 - 14/04/08 04:55 PM Re: xterra submarine
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Congrats [ThumbsUp] cool

#325079 - 14/04/08 06:05 PM Re: xterra submarine
Anonymous
Unregistered

Glad to see you up and running so we will see you on the trails somtime soon i hope.
Waldo/Onix laugh

#325080 - 14/04/08 06:06 PM Re: xterra submarine
Anonymous
Unregistered

[Smoking]

#325081 - 14/04/08 06:14 PM Re: xterra submarine
Anonymous
Unregistered

[ThumbsUp] AWESOME!!!

#325082 - 14/04/08 06:38 PM Re: xterra submarine
NOSUP4U Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Whoa must have missed the story on this. Ugh!!

Glad you're up and running again, with water you never know what is going to get hosed up.

Mark

#325083 - 14/04/08 06:56 PM Re: xterra submarine
Anonymous
Unregistered

As someone with some, er, experience in the matter, maybe I can shed some light smile ..
Quote:
rip out all carpets and padding underneath (padding still wet after 3-4 weeks). clean carpets and replace padding.
Count your blessings it's gonna' be in the mid 90's and sunny all week here, it makes the job much less crummy.
Quote:
-change all fluids and re lube (trans, oil, diff, lube points, bearings)
If by bearings, you meant your hubs, great. If not, don't forget to re-pack your hubs..
Quote:
-find a way to seal up the doors because alot of water comes in through the doors, fast!!!
There's no real feasible way, but next time, go in with your windows up. And if you plan to be in for any longer than say 30-40 yds, go in with your windows up, and have your air running for a good minute beforehand. It won't keep it out forever, but it will stem the influx.
Seen these Jeff?-

Like CM once told me after I gave him shit for not taking a hard line, "I know how big my dick gets.." I'd be hard pressed to drive into something that deep again if I didn't have too, and those don't even show the deepest fordings I've been in. [Freak]
Glad you're up and running again, let's get that lift on now! [ThumbsUp]

#325084 - 14/04/08 09:19 PM Re: xterra submarine
Anonymous
Unregistered

So Creek hows the house hunting up there...have you met up with more Xterras and or clubs yet.
Onix laugh

#325085 - 14/04/08 10:03 PM Re: xterra submarine
Anonymous
Unregistered

msg from creek:

Creek

Member # 20587 Icon 1 posted April 14, 2008 07:03 PM Profile for Creek Email Creek

well, it's good news that you at least got it running. If any of you guys are ever up here near Denver, you have a place to crash (pass that on to all that were there that weekend) Here's the house I'm buying...closing is on May 7

house

house Posts: 11 | From: Evergreen, CO | Registered: Sep 2007

#325086 - 14/04/08 10:28 PM Re: xterra submarine
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, Lucky took care of that...
I've met up with one dude from thenewx out here...cool guy. Once I'm settled in, I'll be having a mod day/meet n greet at my house.

Heading back to NJ on Wed. to pick up my cat, dog, bike, and kayak and then coming back out for the May 7th closing on my house. Good stuff.

#325087 - 15/04/08 01:15 AM Re: xterra submarine
Anonymous
Unregistered

wow just saw this. Glad to hear its running. GO Deep or GO Home..

#325088 - 15/04/08 01:19 AM Re: xterra submarine
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek:
Well, Lucky took care of that...
I've met up with one dude from thenewx out here...cool guy. Once I'm settled in, I'll be having a mod day/meet n greet at my house.

Heading back to NJ on Wed. to pick up my cat, dog, bike, and kayak and then coming back out for the May 7th closing on my house. Good stuff.
Yo creek, I am extremely interested in visiting Colorado, I should plan it out in about a couple years, I'll hit you up!

#325089 - 15/04/08 08:11 AM Re: xterra submarine
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice pad creek when i hed to colorado i will look you up .
Onix [Smoking]

#325090 - 15/04/08 11:27 AM Re: xterra submarine
Anonymous
Unregistered

whenever you guys are in the area, def. let me know.

[Smoking]

#325091 - 15/04/08 11:34 AM Re: xterra submarine
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Creek:
whenever you guys are in the area, def. let me know.

[Smoking]
Same here Creek if you need a place here in PHX any time any day just call [Smoking]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal