2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#32433 - 10/01/04 07:35 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

See what a set of tires can do

First off fellows, it's a badge not a sticker, so if your gonna rag on something that you have no clue about, at least get it right.

Ok, yep, I own a 04 Liberty. After hearing the nightmares from a X owner (across my street), I didn't even price one. They look nice and the cargo room seems to there but I already have a minivan and wanted something I could tow behind my RV with 4 down and no mods. People buy what they need and can afford. By expending 5 pages to a little badge telling people that "hey, our 4x4 can walk the walk". Not that other's can't walk the walk off road but DCX just beat everyone to the punch. If you want a real laugh, anyone see the CRv commercial? The one about the guy who thinks he's a wolf? [Sleep]

#32434 - 10/01/04 07:50 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh also, before I forget, if you can't beat'em, join'em.. Check out this CRv wannabe

New smaller X-trail....

Don't put those "trail raited" badge designs away just yet, you might need'em.

#32435 - 10/01/04 08:02 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by rvlikens:
After hearing the nightmares from a X owner (across my street), I didn't even price one. They look nice and the cargo room seems to there but I already have a minivan
[Spit]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

A KJ owner calling an Xterra a minivan!!!

Even fellow jeep owners don't think a KJ is a real jeep. Dude, listen up: unibody wagon!

[LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

#32436 - 10/01/04 09:36 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
come on guys, let's calm down smile .

and about that liberty at the auto show, that thing's got a front solid axle too. kind of cool looking actually.
but personally, it's just not worth the reliability issues if it ain't a wrangler. no offense liberty-owners.

#32437 - 10/01/04 10:20 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

that liberty looks pretty cool, but if you ever have to back up through a snow bank, you are sure to clog your tail pipe. The way the xterra is designed, its hard to get anything lodged in it... just a little detail, but its those little details that make the difference...

i like the liberty, but i would never get one... if you are going to get a small jeep, get a wrangler. the liberty doesnt seem to offer anything new to the market, its a step in the wrong direction for jeep.

just my opinion...

#32438 - 10/01/04 10:26 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=e0e1adf5120219af32d061a03787563e&forumid=30

even on there own sight, its all about complaints and broken parts... not to rag on the liberty... but i just am surprized at the amount of complaints. but i guess we have complaint sections too, but it doesnt seem nearly this active.

#32439 - 10/01/04 10:49 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I find it interesting that we have KJ owners watching the XOC forums... [Huh?] Besides a lot of great off-road pics, what does this board have to offer them, except for maybe some regret for not buying an X??? [Finger]

#32440 - 10/01/04 11:24 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
xterrabull Offline

Loc: san jose, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ClaptoVaughn:
come on guys, let's calm down smile .

and about that liberty at the auto show, that thing's got a front solid axle too. kind of cool looking actually.
Which Liberty?
The one in the link posted above by the KJ owner is clearly IFS; the 1st picture shows the lower control arms just inboard of each tire:

#32441 - 11/01/04 12:34 AM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
KJ_dragon Offline

Loc: East Bay, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by rvlikens:
Oh also, before I forget, if you can't beat'em, join'em.. Check out this CRv wannabe

New smaller X-trail....

Don't put those "trail raited" badge designs away just yet, you might need'em.
Yeah, those X-trails really suck... [Crybaby]

#32442 - 11/01/04 08:37 AM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
OK, i think I have an opinion that most here would agree on....It's always been my belief that if I needed to go just a short distance over rough terrain that I would want a Jeep Wrangler of one sort or another....dont know if there is a more capable, inexpensive, off road vehicle out there....that being said...If I am going to drive same said vehicle more than just a few miles that the LAST vehicle I would want is a Jeep of ANY sort...in fact I think that is one of the major reasons that many of us bought an X....not only is it pretty damn capable off road(though I dont thing any of us would argue that it is as capable as a Wrangler) but it is also highly reliable, has lots of room, and is just as inexpensive as a Jeep...

#32443 - 12/01/04 06:43 AM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any of you folks catch those Jeep "Trail Rated" commercials during the football playoffs? One showed a Rubicon climbing over a tree that had just fallen across a bride (pretty cool). The other showed a bunch of kids riding battery powered "jeep" big wheels. In the commercial, the Jeep folks made a direct comparison to "all those other SUVs" that pretend to be "Trail Rated" and off-road capable like the jeep is. The camera then panned to another kid driving a yellow non-Jeep battery powered big wheel. Of course, it looked just like an Xterra.

-dp [Smoking]

#32444 - 12/01/04 08:55 AM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
KJed Offline

Loc: twin cities
I'd be very careful knocking the Liberty in its offroad abilities as compared to an X. There are many X owners on this forum who can attest to the Liberty's offroad abilities. But I won't mention any names... wink
Tom

#32445 - 12/01/04 01:13 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me?

-dp [Smoking]

Quote:
Originally posted by KJed:
I'd be very careful knocking the Liberty in its offroad abilities as compared to an X. There are many X owners on this forum who can attest to the Liberty's offroad abilities. But I won't mention any names... wink
Tom

#32446 - 12/01/04 01:35 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

i would assume the liberty is pretty capable, but its no wrangler...

its probably pretty similar in ability to the stock xterra, but there is a huge difference in reliability. i also think the xterra has an advantage in ground clearance, approach angle and departure angle. but i am sure you could list some advantages of the liberty... maybe [Smoking] ...

i also agree with spalind comments on why i bought my xterra.

#32447 - 12/01/04 01:44 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
KJed Offline

Loc: twin cities
Approach and departure are better on the KJ. It also ramps better when comparing discoed to discoed. On the reliabiltiy issue,honestly, I think the KJ can take more abuse. I visit this site daily, I know the Xs and Kjs deficiencies. It seems like the Xs have more problems when hitting the hardcore stuff.
Tom

#32448 - 12/01/04 02:33 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by KJed:
On the reliabiltiy issue,honestly, I think the KJ can take more abuse.
It can take more abuse, huh? Could you clarify if that is because of the weaker axles or unibody construction? Reliability wise just look at the statistics, it's no contest.

The only real weakness of the X (other than IFS) is the stock steering system. But it's not that weak and for $350 you can get upgraded aftermarket components that are extremely tough.

#32449 - 12/01/04 02:42 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by distant planet:
One showed a Rubicon climbing over a tree that had just fallen across a bride (pretty cool).
I like the new VW Toureg commercial, where they actually show it wheeling over tougher terrain than even Jeep has shown in a commercial.

#32450 - 12/01/04 02:48 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
Kt Offline

Loc: Montgomery, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]One showed a Rubicon climbing over a tree that had just fallen across a bride (pretty cool).
I like the new VW Toureg commercial, where they actually show it wheeling over tougher terrain than even Jeep has shown in a commercial.[/b]
More power to the VW! Gotta show the love!! (J/K!) wink

#32451 - 12/01/04 02:54 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Any of you folks catch those Jeep "Trail Rated" commercials during the football playoffs? One showed a Rubicon climbing over a tree that had just fallen across a bride (pretty cool). The other showed a bunch of kids riding battery powered "jeep" big wheels. In the commercial, the Jeep folks made a direct comparison to "all those other SUVs" that pretend to be "Trail Rated" and off-road capable like the jeep is. The camera then panned to another kid driving a yellow non-Jeep battery powered big wheel. Of course, it looked just like an Xterra.

-dp [Smoking]
Not only does it resemble an X, but it is yellow. mad

#32452 - 13/01/04 04:42 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
OK, for those of you eagerly(yeah right...) awaiting your "X-rated" stickers in the mail I finally got my film developed and can post a pic of it on my X...2 notes...#1 the film turned out a bit bright and the sticker is darker and not nearly as washed out as it appears in the pic, and #2 they are being sent in their "square" form and you can decide wether to leve them square or shape them into a circle...

and...

More are available if anyone else wants one!!!

#32453 - 13/01/04 07:22 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

WOW. 7 Pages dedicated to one little badge. I'm impressed fellows. Not even the cute utes over at Honda can match this in thier "us vs THEM" section. Anyway, here a little something borrowed by Motortrend.

Jeep "Trail Rated" Badge Appears on Vehicles and in New Advertising
September 19, 2003

Motor Trend

The Jeep brand today announced "Jeep Trail Rated," a new way to communicate to consumers the extensive level of off-road requirements that all Jeep 4x4 vehicles must meet. The new 2004 Jeep 4x4 vehicles -- Grand Cherokee, Liberty and Wrangler -- with Trail Rated badges start arriving in dealerships next week.

"Jeep Trail Rated is an industry-leading methodology to objectively measure and predict off-road performance for all Jeep vehicles," said Jeff Bell, Vice President Jeep, DaimlerChrysler Corporation. "We created Jeep Trail Rated to communicate the legendary Jeep capability that is designed into every Jeep 4x4." Jeep Trail Rated is supported by the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC), which has 45 years of off-road vehicle testing experience, including the creation of standards for the U.S. military."

Everyone likes to think the car they buy is the best choice. People buy Jeep because it's a Jeep. Just like those who buy and only drink Coke. RC, Faygo, SAMS cola just wont do. You buy your X's, Jeepers buy Jeeps. I will say this. I've never owned a jeep till now. I've owned an International Scout, but that's another story. I love it's tight ride. It handles like a dream and is just fun to drive. Both on and off road. I don't think my car is better than anyone elses but will defend my choice.

As far as "spying" on other SUV forums. Well, guilty as charged. Some guy over at the jeep site said "thought this was funny" and put a link to your web site. There have been remarks over there about things that are said here but no one has really put down the X, other than it's not a Jeep. No one can argue that HARDCORE offroaders go with the Jeep brand because of it's ability and price.
If you look at your recall list and compair it to the Jeep, starting with 2002, the only recall has been the lower ball joint. I too would feel upset if another company was poking fun at my choice of car, just like the "minivan stereotype thing". It's all about marketing and from the looks at the 7 pages here, it works. Keep having fun....

The KJJeep web page that started me coming here...

#32454 - 23/01/04 02:36 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been enjoying this thread.
My wife had an '87 Pathfinder and loved it. Pathfinders are now too big so she bought an Xterra and loves it! I don't know how the Xterra does off road because she is smart enough to not let me drive it. smile I have a highly modified Wrangler (TJ) and do most everything from exploring to hard core with it.

I really like the modified X-Rated badges. If some one were to actually have some of those made just like the Jeep ones I would buy a bunch for me and my friend's Jeeps. The Jeep "Trail Rated" is a joke amongst most Jeep owners that actually wheel.
Even saying a stock Rubicon can do the Rubicon Trail is a joke. Of course during the Jeep Safari held on the Rubicon a stock one can do it. I would hope so as they rock up the trail so most any SUV could do it. laugh
Anyhow, they're all fun and if they go where you want to go with the junk you want to carry without breaking, then you've got what you need!
My wife comes to this forum occasionally and was asking me about the phrase, "It's a Jeep Thing, You Wouldn't Understand". You see it all the time on soccer mom's Jeeps and it's lost any meaning. It actually came from guys who would buy Jeeps, put thousands of thousands of dollars into them so they could do hard core trails and then bash them all to hell. If some normal person would ask them why they would put 35 grand into a Jeep and then take it out and wreck it, about all they could say was, "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand."
I'm one of those nuts but I wouldn't wear one of those stupid stickers. I think they are insulting. Most people will understand if you take the time to explain it to them. Actually it's quite easy. "More money than brains". Bwaahahahaha!

Here's some pictures:

Take care,
Ron

#32455 - 23/01/04 03:22 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Nice pics, Ron. [ThumbsUp]

#32456 - 23/01/04 03:58 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
SWBRON, nice shot of Italian Creek Road [ThumbsUp]

#32457 - 23/01/04 05:44 PM Re: Is the X "trail rated?"
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good Eye Ian!

I love Colorado and the Rockys! I'll tell ya, so many time I wish I had the Xterra so I could bring more stuff! I spent a week wheelin' out of Crested Butte doing the passes and camping on the trail. My wife's idea of camping is the 30' fifth wheel.
Here's some more pictures of that area. Ignore the Jeep, it could be an Xterra just as well. laugh

Top of Taylor Pass:

Schofield Road:

Camping on Crystal Creek out of Marble:

Fish from Crystal Creek:

I can't wait to get back to the Rockys this summer!

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal