shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#326153 - 06/03/08 06:27 PM A good auto electrician
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone know a really good auto electrician? My mom's 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 has some electrical problems.

1. I took apart the door and couldn't fix it.Passenger side power lock switch making the noise but not locking or unlocking the door. It has to be done maually.

2. Headlights work fine on normal setting, but she loses headlights completely about five minutes after she turns on her high beams.

Google has given us everything except for what we really need. I'm thinking a variety of things, door switch, lock actuator, headlight relay, short in wires. Any ideas?

#326154 - 06/03/08 06:39 PM Re: A good auto electrician
Anonymous
Unregistered

use the christmas lights they where cool!

#326155 - 06/03/08 06:41 PM Re: A good auto electrician
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oooooohhh, of course. She'll be thrilled! No wait, that's my grandma, she's the one who likes to leave a christmas tree up for the better part of a year only to change themes in November.

#326156 - 06/03/08 06:43 PM Re: A good auto electrician
Anonymous
Unregistered

you have a PM cool

#326157 - 06/03/08 06:46 PM Re: A good auto electrician
Anonymous
Unregistered

i could be of some help laugh

#326158 - 06/03/08 08:46 PM Re: A good auto electrician
Anonymous
Unregistered

1. is likely to be the little plastic clip that holds the rod on the mechanisms inside the door that are attached to the solenoid or door lock knob. Most likely not electrical if you're hearing it.

2. is really wierd. I can only think that something is getting hot and like you would think it is a relay, most likely under the hood. Probably one for each - high and low - beams.

See ya tomorrow if you're going. [Wave]

#326159 - 06/03/08 11:20 PM Re: A good auto electrician
Anonymous
Unregistered

your loosing the lights due to a blown fuse?
the switch and lights are are not related unless something else is causing both such as a bad ground for entire system (wiring harness)

#326160 - 07/03/08 07:32 AM Re: A good auto electrician
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Conundrum:
1. is likely to be the little plastic clip that holds the rod on the mechanisms inside the door that are attached to the solenoid or door lock knob. Most likely not electrical if you're hearing it.

2. is really wierd. I can only think that something is getting hot and like you would think it is a relay, most likely under the hood. Probably one for each - high and low - beams.

See ya tomorrow if you're going. [Wave]
I did take apart the door and check that, everything looks like it's in it's place and not broken. WIll probably check electrical connections sometime this weekend to narrow down the source, at least. Checked all fuses, when it came to the light, nothing blown, that's why I feel it's either a short in the wiring, a relay going bad or the multi-switch in the column, where the high beams are turned on at.

#326161 - 07/03/08 07:49 AM Re: A good auto electrician
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now that you mention it, I had the combo switch (which also acts like a relay) in my 94 HB that went bad. Headlights would work intermittently and when I took it apart you could see the pitting of the contacts. Crappy design, but worked for about 90K miles.

If you mess with the switch will the lights come back on or are they out for a duration of time before they are usable again? The latter would lead me to beleive a bad coil in a relay.

As far as the door, the solenoid could be weak or need lubed. May even have a loose connection causing it to not get full current/voltage.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal