shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#326381 - 23/02/03 01:02 PM Mod party Questions/Info
NOSUP4U Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Just wanted to get a thread started about the Mod party.

I think it was mentioned that it was Sunday the 9th at Craig's place? I'm thinking of getting a steering stabilizer and sticking it on. Anyone have any suggestions for where to get one other than SLR? They aren't on my good side after my experience getting my AAL's and shocks from them.

I'm planning on coming to the party regardless to help out if I can. Shannon will be out of town so I'll have Kaelyn. I might try and find someone to come along and watch her so I can help work on Xterra's.

Also, it was mentioned that there might be a separate party scheduled to do ball bearings, or will people be doing theirs at Craig's?

Who all is planning on going, and what sorts of mods are you doing?

Mark (NOSUP4U)

#326382 - 23/02/03 03:33 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
XROCK Offline

Loc: Prescott, Az
You got the date right! I'm going to try and get the new torsion bars put on and if time allows, repack the bearings- Badly overdue!

I plan on getting the steering stabilizer, but was planning on using SLR- I'll check and see if anyone else makes one.

#326383 - 23/02/03 04:19 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
NOSUP4U Offline

Brian, whats the story on new torsion bars? They give you a little more play or something? Mine are cranked up right now so they don't have quite as much give when I go over deeper than normal potholes....

Always looking for new mods to do smile

Mark (NOSUP4U)

#326384 - 23/02/03 05:36 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Mark, the torsion bars will only make your front end stiffer. It does nothing for wheel travel. Brian needs them due to his heavier front end(uhm, Calmini bumper that is.)

You should be able to get steering stabilizers from Automotive Customizers.

I doubt we will be doing any wheel bearings at this mod party since it is a BIG job in itself. You also need specialized tools to do it, so I'm not sure if everyone is planning on purchasing them so they can do their own?

So far we've got 2 sets of torsion bars, 2 steering stabilizers, 2 idler arm braces and I know I'm missing something.

#326385 - 23/02/03 07:28 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
spooky1 Offline

Loc: Maricopa, AZ
I'll be there to help out, I think. Won't need to do any mods since I spent a total of 15 hours yesterday and today wiring my KC Daylighter's, a pair of driving lights and a 600 watt power inverter. Lots and lots of wires!. Everything works and my truck has not blown up yet. laugh If I make it on the 9th, I'll bring my floor jack (like Craig's), Xtra jack stands, some more floor pads (also like the one's you have Craig laugh ), and some misc. tools. Hope to see ya there! cool

"Duct tape is like the Force: It has a dark side and a light side - and it holds the universe together."

#326386 - 24/02/03 07:54 AM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by spooky1:
some more floor pads (also like the one's you have Craig laugh )
They come in very handy. I even carry a couple in the back of my truck so when I need to crawl under it to take off my disconnects, or look at somebody elses truck I don't get too dirty. cool laugh

#326387 - 24/02/03 09:28 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
xterracal Offline

Loc: Surprise Arizona
Craig, just let me know what you might need.Talk to ya later.Remind me about the center drills, I have an assortment. [Wave]

#326388 - 25/02/03 07:05 AM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xterracal:
Craig, just let me know what you might need.
Marcus, do you happen to have a socket large enough to fit the nut on the pitman arm? It's probably around 34mm or 1-5/8"? Also what about a fork or puller for the tie rod ends, and another puller for the pitman arm?

If not, I'll need to pick these up prior to this weekend as I'll be installing Andy's steering system. If your available on Saturday, feel free to stop by when we're working on it. [Wave]

#326389 - 26/02/03 01:45 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
xterracal Offline

Loc: Surprise Arizona
Hey it works now!

I'll give you a call.

#326390 - 26/02/03 03:23 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
XCETRA Offline

Loc: Utah
I will also have new Torsion Bars that I would like to get put on and repacking the bearings would be a good idea, I am rethinking the stablizer I think I will get the Warn Hubs instead.

#326391 - 26/02/03 05:48 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
XROCK Offline

Loc: Prescott, Az
I don't understand what those do for you that the auto ones don't?

#326392 - 26/02/03 06:19 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XROCK:
I don't understand what those do for you that the auto ones don't?
For one they are stronger. I've seen numerous posts of blown auto hubs but I haven't heard of the Warns going out. (other than from improper installation)

Also they give you instant positive lock, meaning they are either fully engaged or not. When rocking the vehicle back and forth they don't unlock.

The only downside that I see to them is that they may eliminate the natural weak point of the front end, thus you may end up making a new one like an axle. I'll likely be installing the warn hub fuses to maintain my weak link at the hub. They are easily changed out on the trail in about 10 minutes per side.

Here is a pic of the Warn standard and fused. Notice the smaller teeth on the right. That is what is meant to break instead of MY AXLE. mad

#326393 - 26/02/03 06:22 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XCETRA:
I will also have new Torsion Bars that I would like to get put on and repacking the bearings would be a good idea, I am rethinking the stablizer I think I will get the Warn Hubs instead.
Torsion bars are no problem, but I don't think we'll be doing any wheel bearings on this day since it is a pretty good sized job. Your Warn hubs will be no problem, but also get the "hub fuses" so they can be installed at the same time.

#326394 - 26/02/03 09:12 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
XCETRA Offline

Loc: Utah
Will do!

#326395 - 28/02/03 07:39 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
Mud Offline

Loc: az
My Xterra came with backing nuts for one tow hook on the front so I have one tow hook on my truck now and one in my toolbox that was going to go on the other side. Anybody been there done that? There are holes in the frame but no obvious (easy) way to get a nut in place and hold it inside the box frame channel without drilling.

#326396 - 28/02/03 08:09 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Mud:
There are holes in the frame but no obvious (easy) way to get a nut in place and hold it inside the box frame channel.
Correct. frown

I'll take a better look at mine tomorrow and let you know what would be the best way of tackling it. [Geek]

#326397 - 03/03/03 08:17 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Doesn't look real easy. I think the way that I would do it is drill another smaller hole on the edge of the existing hole. Use a hanger to fish the nut into the right place and thread a bolt onto it. Then weld the nut to the frame by filling in the hole I drilled.

Not the easiest solution, but that's how I would probably tackle it.

Maybe Lee can post some comments as I thought they put an extra one on yellowjacket.

#326398 - 03/03/03 08:34 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
XterrAZ Offline

Loc: Anthem, Arizona
When I put my front guard on I had to move the tow hook over to the other side, where there are no nuts in the frame. You also can't get a wrench on the nut to hold it for tightening. There is however a wonderful device called an air impact wrench smile

Once you fish the nut and get a bolt started, hit it with the impact and it will snug right up. I moved mine over in about five minutes, damn near impossible without air.

#326399 - 03/03/03 11:37 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XterrAZ:
Once you fish the nut and get a bolt started, hit it with the impact and it will snug right up.
Mike, did you get a lockwasher in there or a locknut, or did you just use a standard nut and tighten it down?

#326400 - 04/03/03 09:49 AM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
NOSUP4U Offline

You know what else I was just thinking, I have wanted to install that in cabin microfilter thing for a while. From what I understand, its pretty easy to do?

Do I just need to buy one and slap it in? If someone (Mike, I think you said you did this mod right?) can tell me what to buy and where, I'll do it on Sunday as well.

Also, Craig: Should I bring any tools or anything for anyone? I have just general socket sets etc. Nothing heavy duty, but not sure what all we might need.

Thanks!
Mark

#326401 - 04/03/03 10:39 AM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by NOSUP4U:
You know what else I was just thinking, I have wanted to install that in cabin microfilter thing for a while. From what I understand, its pretty easy to do? If your truck already has one, you just take the glove box out, pull the old filter and replace it with the new one. If you don't have one in there now, then you need a razorblade knife to cut the plastic out to accept the filter.

Also, Craig: Should I bring any tools or anything for anyone? We should have everything we need. I'm going over the list of what people want to do and making sure that I have the tools. If anyone needs to bring something I will let them know by Friday.

#326402 - 04/03/03 11:32 AM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
Accasbel Offline

Loc: Chanhassen, MN USA
Our driver's side tow-hook was a short lived experience. I dropped down down two bolts from the hole above and used standard lock washers on the outside/lower holding the hook in place. However, in a very short time I caught the hook, doubled it back and had to remove it. I did not use a lock washer inside the frame.

All in all, once I decided to drop the bolt in rather than try to locate the nut & washer on the inside it was a very easy task.

#326403 - 04/03/03 12:48 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
rb42 Offline

Loc: McKinney
Hey guys - check out the SWXC forum - we did a mod day last saturday and had some hell with frozen torsion rods. Some of the people posted a lot of pix of the event too...

Good luck!
-=RB

#326404 - 04/03/03 04:32 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
XterrAZ Offline

I just got off the phone with Dan, the parts manager at Nissan of Scottsdale, the club members are set up to receive 25% off list price on parts purchases. He is also going to talk to Paul, the service manager, about getting a similar deal with labor for service repairs.

Since we don't have membership cards (hint to Brian) I told him he could go off the list of members on the website, you may have to show I.D. to prove you're part of the club and your name is listed as a member.

I know for some of you it's a long way over there so if you really can't make it and need a Nissan part, call me at work and I can set it up with another dealer using Childress Buick parts account.

Discounts are a good thing cool

#326405 - 04/03/03 04:40 PM Re: Mod party Questions/Info
XterrAZ Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Craigs_Tonka:
Mike, did you get a lockwasher in there or a locknut, or did you just use a standard nut and tighten it down?
I know it wasn't a lock nut. I'll have to look because after reading Lee's post about dropping the bolt down, I don't remember which way I did it.

confused

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal