2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#326643 - 19/01/06 08:22 AM All is not quite well
NOSUP4U Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
So my X is back up and running well, but it looks like water is disappearing somewhere. Been checking the radiator periodically because we had a lot of water coming out of the tailpipe when we first fired it up.

Looks like maybe water is getting into the engine. Its a pretty slow leak whatever it is. So we'll do some investigating I guess. But thats the latest.

Mark

#326644 - 19/01/06 11:13 AM Re: All is not quite well
Anonymous
Unregistered

Water as in coolant? Is your oil level going up? Check the oil....water will bead in oil and if there's a significant amount getting in the engine, you'll see it on the dipstick. The only way this can happen is a bad head gasket.

Some water coming out the exhaust is normal...condensation builds in there and is blown out on startup.

#326645 - 19/01/06 01:08 PM Re: All is not quite well
XterrAZ Offline

Loc: Anthem, Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
The only way this can happen is a bad head gasket.

That's the most common way but there could be a bad intake gasket, cracked head, or even cracked block. Heads could also be warped enough to act like a blown head gasket. The engine overheated pretty badly if I remember correctly. Probably a few other possibilites too that I'm not thinking of right now.

Do a pressure test on the coolant system to see if it leaks down and if you can see where it's leaking from if it does. If the pressure leaks down and you don't see the leak...then you can start to worry.

#326646 - 22/01/06 05:43 PM Re: All is not quite well
NOSUP4U Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Ok, after some investigation, it looks like water is indeed getting into the engine. So...any advice on where to take it for a valve job/resurfacing the heads? (or replacing if that ends up being the case?)

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal