shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#327301 - 11/02/08 06:58 AM 4x4 training for newbies
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got this in an email, not sure if there would be any interest here. Looks like a worthwhile event if you are brand new to your vehicle or off-roading...

The CREEP Run—easy intro to club & trail etiquette!

Join the AZOHVC and the AZVJC for an easy run in Camp Verde on February 23, 2008 emphasizing Club Run Ethics, Etiquette, and Protocols, or “C.R.E.E.P.” for short. With Spring just around the corner, this is the perfect time to invite our members, old and new, for a fun and easy run to review some of the do’s and don’ts on the trail. Newbies and stock 4x4’s are welcome and encouraged!

This event is hosted by the Arizona Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition (AZOHVC) through the Arizona Virtual Jeep Club (AZVJC), and sponsored by Sedona Jeep School, Farabee Jeep Rentals, and Sedona Offroad.

This is a FREE event! Come on out and see what these “club runs” are all about!

Meeting time is 9:30 AM at the trailhead (details below) for an orientation about airing down, following, communication, stopping, equipment, and Tread Lightly prep. We will keep it fun and brief with questions and discussion welcome. On the trail, we will have the opportunity to discuss public land etiquette on and around ranching leases, mining claims, and water sources. Some of the run leaders are veteran guides and will be happy to discuss the local history and geology, too.

Please sign-up by visiting www.virtualjeepclub.com (basic membership is free) OR emailing the following information to sedonajeepschool@yahoo.com:
Your name (and/or virtualjeepclub ID)
Vehicle description so we can more easily identify everyone during the event (year, model, color, any visually distinguishing features)

Date: Saturday, February 23, 2008

Time: 9:30 AM to Noon, approximately (plus optional afternoon run).

Meeting Place: Trailhead for FR 361, Prescott National Forest--located on Hwy 260, between Camp Verde and Cottonwood. No facilities at the trailhead.

Directions: If you are coming from Phoenix, take I-17 North to exit#287. Exit and turn left/west towards Cottonwood. The trailhead is approximately 5 miles west on Hwy 260. It is directly across from Thousand Trails Road, and the first Forest Road on the left past the Steve Coury dealership (can’t miss the dealership—it is the only building in that area of hwy 260).

GPS coordinates: 34_ 39.629N, 111_ 57.921W

For last minute gas, air, food, coffee, pee stops or whatever on your way to the trailhead, the exit#287 at I-17 and Hwy 260 has a selection of restaurants and convenience stores. There are no services at the trailhead.

Trails: The first trail is FR 361 “Conger Mine Road”. This is an easy trail for any stock 4x4. It will take us through some cattle country, past some old mines, and near natural springs, with stops to talk about the do’s and don’ts of each of those types of areas. Great views! Approximately 2.5 hours.

For those of you who want to stick around for a little more, we will also run the old General Crook Trail in the afternoon. A mild to moderate trail, it offers a little more challenge—a little mud, a few shallow creek crossings, some rocks, but still passable for stock Jeeps. There is one rocky spot about 10-feet long that has no bypass and could hang up anyone on less than 30” tires (don’t worry, we won’t strand anyone!). What makes this spot intimidating at all is the 200-foot cliff on one side as you negotiate over the rocks. This trail has some very narrow places--Not recommended for full-size rigs, or anyone with an unusually sensitive fear of heights. Great historical area, pretty canyon. Approximately 1.5 hours.

This is not a formal driving instruction clinic, but there will be experienced drivers there to assist new members through any questionable situations.

What to bring:
4x4 vehicle with decent tires, 28” or better. 4x4 means your rig has a transfer case and a 4L option. Contact me if you are not sure.
Spare tire and jack on-board.
At least one liter of Water per person & trail snacks for yourselves (though chocolate must always be shared).
Layered outdoor clothing and tough shoes. February temperatures for the area range from 35 to 65 degrees.
Smile!

Please don’t hesitate to contact me with questions, but please give me at least 24 hours to respond—most days I am in or under a Jeep right now.
(928) 274-0570
sedonajeepschool@yahoo.com (email for this event only)

Any other sponsors who want to jump in to help lead/teach, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Happy trails!

Nena Barlow
Sedona Jeep School
AZ Virtual Jeep Club
AZ Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition
nena@sedonajeepschool.com
(928) 274-0570

#327302 - 11/02/08 02:31 PM Re: 4x4 training for newbies
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unless anyone is doing something else fun on 23rd, I might go to this one.

#327303 - 11/02/08 08:35 PM Re: 4x4 training for newbies
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by karlover007:
Unless anyone is doing something else fun on 23rd, I might go to this one.
second, just need to check my on call schedule..

#327304 - 18/02/08 10:05 AM Re: 4x4 training for newbies
XCJ Offline

Loc: Chandler, AZ
Assuming I don't have to work, I'll probably go to this. I don't think I can stay for the afternoon run, but the AM should work.

Mikhail - if your truck isn't back and you still want to go, you can ride with me...all assuming I don't have to work...

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal