2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#327897 - 29/04/03 08:24 PM AAL install this weekend!
test4echo Offline

Loc: Gilbert, AZ
I'm installing SLR's AAL to "thisbus" this weekend and would appreciate any helpful tips you'll might have.
I've read all the available install instructions online, but is there something in those that I might be missing? I've heard the AAL's tend to squeak. Should I grease them? If so, where and how much? These are the things I need to know.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

I'm a newbie, and proud of it!

#327898 - 29/04/03 08:52 PM Re: AAL install this weekend!
spooky1 Offline

Loc: Maricopa, AZ
Just remember that there is a front and back to the AAL's. Measure from the center bolt hole to the end of the springs and make sure you line them up the same. I am not positive but I think the short end goes in the front (this is where Craig should chime in!). Depending on when and where you are doing the install, I could maybe help early Sunday morning. Also make sure you take the AAL's apart first and give them a coat or two of your favorite color spray paint. They come unfinished from SLR. Are you getting new shocks too?

"Duct tape is like the Force: It has a dark side and a light side - and it holds the universe together."

#327899 - 29/04/03 08:53 PM Re: AAL install this weekend!
spooky1 Offline

Loc: Maricopa, AZ
Oh yeah, they will squeak if you put them in backwards! laugh

"Duct tape is like the Force: It has a dark side and a light side - and it holds the universe together."

#327900 - 30/04/03 08:05 AM Re: AAL install this weekend!
test4echo Offline

No new shocks this time around. Soon though. I'm heading out to Moab in the next couple of weeks, so I will get to put these things to the test.

I'm not sure what time this weekend I will be doing the install. I'm borrowing the garage and tools of a friend to do the work in. Thanks for the offer. If I paint the AAls, I may wait until Sunday for the install.

Jeff

#327901 - 30/04/03 09:16 AM Re: AAL install this weekend!
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
A couple things to remember. Are you putting on new shackles as well? If so, keep in mind you won't get the full wheel travel unless you get longer length shocks.

Spooky is absolutely correct about measuring the leaves and putting them in the right direction. Painting is also recommended before installing. Just some Rustoleum black works great.

You'll be discarding your load leaf, re-using your existing U-bolts, and replacing the center bolt that holds the spring pack together. This comes extra long and you will need to cut it off with a hacksaw or cutting disc after putting the leaf packs back together.

Pretty simple job, straight forward. For safety make sure you have LARGE jack stands to support the truck at the frame right in front of the leaf spring hanger. You'll also want smaller stands to let the diff sit on.

If your not replacing the shackles, you can split the leaf spring packs in the truck and add the AAL without taking the springs out.

#327902 - 30/04/03 11:39 AM Re: AAL install this weekend!
test4echo Offline

That's great info! I can't wait to try these things out.

No new shackles this time around. Slowly building up the lift on the truck. Can't get too crazy, I gotta drive this thing 80 miles a day back and forth to work!

Again, thanks for all the info and offers to help. If I get into trouble look for more posts. smile

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal