2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#329824 - 21/04/06 10:20 AM Air Compressor
Yzerman Offline

Loc: Cave Creek, AZ
Okay, the other day I am on my way to work and want to top off the air in my tires. I stop at three different places that have free air, but each one has a chuck that is broken. I finally just broke down and went to a place that charged me $1 by the time I got all four wheels filled up (not to mention the $2 in gas I wasted stopping at each station).

Well that got me to thinking about how much easier it would have been to just have a small air compressor at home. I am not planning on using it for any sort of power tools, pretty much just filling the air up on all the auto tires around the house.

Anyone thinking of selling one? Any ideas as to the size I would need. I would think a 4 gal one would be okay for what I'd be using it for, or would a 2 gal work? Does the HP really matter much for what I'd be using it for (the higher the HP the faster air is pump in the tank, correct?).

Thanks for any help on the subject.

#329825 - 21/04/06 10:51 AM Re: Air Compressor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just carry one of those small multi-function air DC air compressors in my car, similar to
<>

Mine has 2 parts, one for tires etc. Then one for air beds etc. So ideal for camping.

If you are looking for a cheap compressor, that would run a Nail gun or somethin too, then Harbor Freight is your friend $59 buys you <>

#329826 - 21/04/06 03:52 PM Re: Air Compressor
Anonymous
Unregistered

In addition to Rinky's suggestion, Home Depot also carries a small portable compressor that works off a 120V outlet. It's perfect for small jobs like airing up tires on cars, bikes or sports balls. Cost is about $100 and can even fit in smaller cars if you have an emergency.

I know what a PITA it can be to drive all over creation only to find everyone's gas station air hose is broken.

#329827 - 21/04/06 04:02 PM Re: Air Compressor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Welcome to AZXC Katwomen

#329828 - 21/04/06 04:32 PM Re: Air Compressor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Welcome to AZXC Katwomen
Thanks [Wave]

#329829 - 21/04/06 08:11 PM Re: Air Compressor
Yzerman Offline

Thanks everyone.

I was actually look at this one from Home Depot as well, only $60.

I don't think I would take it in the car with me anywhere, so having the one you recommended KatWomen would be a little overkill for me.

The problem with the above is that the HD by my house does not have it. I think I'm going to go in and see if they can order it for me. I really do not want to pay $25 for shipping (that is what their website says it is). I'm sure I would have the same issue with the one you recommended RiNiKy, this shipping from Harbor Frieght would kill the price.

#329830 - 22/04/06 10:31 AM Re: Air Compressor
NOSUP4U Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I can check the one near me for you. If they have it, do you want me to pick it up for you?

Mark

#329831 - 22/04/06 10:34 AM Re: Air Compressor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yzerman I have the one you are looking at HD I call it the pancake compressor It works like a champ I have done the tires on my X no problem. A higher gallon just speeds up the job more gallons the faster but for what I use it for it is a great unit. Also Harbour Frieght has two locations here in Phx.

#329832 - 22/04/06 01:25 PM Re: Air Compressor
Yzerman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by NOSUP4U:
I can check the one near me for you. If they have it, do you want me to pick it up for you?

Mark
Thanks Mark, but if they cannot order it for me I am pretty sure they can tell me what stores will have it. I'll just run by and pick it up at that point. Well unless the only store that has it is in Tempe or Goodyear, then the $25 in shipping is looking good seeing I'd blow more in gas getting there. There are two stores pretty close to my work, maybe I'll get lucky.

Quote:
Originally posted by slmh1296:
Yzerman I have the one you are looking at HD I call it the pancake compressor It works like a champ.
Thanks for the info slmh1296, it is always good to hear first hand from someone how it works (before you buy it). I almost got a similar one at Checkers for $40 the other day. It was a 2 gallon, but did not come with a hose or connections, so I would have had to spend $20 in getting a hose and the connections (which this comes with if I am not misstaken). So this one was a better deal. I'll check out Harbor Frieght out if no local HD has it.

#329833 - 23/04/06 07:32 AM Re: Air Compressor
Anonymous
Unregistered

Careful - shopping at harbor freight can be dangerous, you go wanting to spend $40, then you see all the other crap you can buy too! smile

#329834 - 23/04/06 09:22 AM Re: Air Compressor
Yzerman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:
Careful - shopping at harbor freight can be dangerous, you go wanting to spend $40, then you see all the other crap you can buy too! smile
Thanks RiNkY [ThumbsUp]

#329835 - 23/04/06 10:56 AM Re: Air Compressor
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have one of the bigger Husky compressors and it works awesome. I am sure a small one will work great for just airing up tires.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal