shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#331360 - 10/05/07 10:15 AM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
NOSUP4U Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I will be at Price/79 at 8am.

Does anyone have a 22mm socket they can bring? I have everything else I need I think except for that. I might do an oil change out there while I have it jacked up too just for kicks.

Thanks!
Mark

Edit: Found this in the Swanky thread:
The trailhead is just north of the town of Florence and about a mile from a gas station. Fill up there.

To get to the trail head - take US60 out to Florence Jct., exit, and go south on SR79 to Florence (about 15 miles). Price road is the gravel road that turns off immediately south of the railroad tracks (not the first RR crossing 5 miles down the road, but the second just north of the town of Florence). There's a Chevron station about a mile south of the turnoff on the other side of the Gila bridge.

It's about 13 miles on a dirt road to Box Canyon, Box is about a mile of 4 low. Then it's about 5 miles back to the cabins. Then another 5 miles or so back out to the Coke Ovens...another 1/2 mile down to the river, and it's about 15 miles back to Florence on Sunday morning (or Saturday night).

#331361 - 10/05/07 11:36 AM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've got a 22mm socket in my toolbox in the truck.

#331362 - 10/05/07 02:22 PM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

I always carry 10 gallons of frsh, pure, clean, refreshing, municipal water.

From a heat standpoint I am leaving my dogs at home, some others may want to reconsider if bringing the furry, four-legged kids. They can get real warm fast driving around in the desert.

#331363 - 10/05/07 06:38 PM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

Since I am closer than the usual 100 miles to this, I am going to join you people on Saturday at 8 am at 79 and Price intersection (correct?)

Are the trails there nice enough for a slick like me (pun intended!) and in unmodified Xterra? *cough*need sliders*cough*

Or may be we can have more than one group, the crazies in one and the noobs/unmodified in the other? smile

#331364 - 10/05/07 07:39 PM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
MadManX Offline

Loc: Maricopa, AZ
Well I'm about as stock as it comes... My X came from the dealer last Friday... This will be it's second outing. You can do the Box no problems. You just have to take things a little slow and you're all good. As for the side trails... I have no idea yet.

Oh... So this make you feel more comfortable, my last trip to the box was bout 3 years ago in a stock 4x2 SC X... On Thanksgiving. I made it threw with some encouragement of some jeep guys (they said they'd pull me out if i got stuck). I did find out that you can "jump" or "bounce" over anything. I lost my first sidestep that way. I also needed a little push from about 4 guys to make it out the last climb to freedom and flat roads. Other then that it was cake and well worth the drive. Tomorrow morning I'll be ordering a full armor set from Shrock Works for me so I can finally be stupid with a 4x4. Well don't take me litterly there. But yeah a stock 4x4 should do pretty well. Oh yeah... I've hiked all over the box every spring and autom, this will be my first time back this year though.

All the vertraiins, please correct me if the trails have changed though smile

-MadManX
- "Fully Shrocked" by ShrockWorks
- Ramsey 9000UT Winch w/ Synthetic Cable
2007 Red NISMO Frontier
- ShrockWorks Full Underside Armor
- ShrockWorks "Modified" Rock Sliders

#331365 - 10/05/07 08:15 PM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by karlover007:
Since I am closer than the usual 100 miles to this, I am going to join you people on Saturday at 8 am at 79 and Price intersection (correct?)

Are the trails there nice enough for a slick like me (pun intended!) and in unmodified Xterra? *cough*need sliders*cough*

Or may be we can have more than one group, the crazies in one and the noobs/unmodified in the other? smile
Box Canyon / Coke ovens was my first every off road trail, needed a spotter in 1 or 2 places and managed to scrape my diff, but you should be good. Beware tho - you WILL get some pretty major AZ pinstriping on the way from Coke Ovens down to the river through an area of Trees / Brush.

#331366 - 11/05/07 12:08 AM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I guess noone else is going to pre camp with us (travis, T-ray and his wife and me) We are actually leaving tommorow afternoon/evening to i guess reserve a large enough camp ground and set boobie traps for everyone on Sat evening.
Anyone interested give me a call or text at 623.418.4009. I think we are supposed to head out around 6 ish pm.

#331367 - 11/05/07 07:21 AM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well have fun all work called me and could not fill my shoes so i have to work saturday ! mad [Finger] mad Waldo/Onix

#331368 - 11/05/07 08:01 AM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

BEWARE OF BOOBY TRAPS!!!!

#331369 - 11/05/07 08:08 AM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

Find that spot by the river just down stream from the RR tressle....if you can get to it, that's the best spot. It's got a nice sandy beach and there should be plenty of space

If you're coming in from Kelvin Hwy and taking the side road to the river, the spot I'm thinking of can be accessed by a side trail to the west down a sand wash (the same way you'd exit from the river crossing from the Coke Ovens). This sand wash is about 1/2 -3/4 mile from the river on the main road, if that makes sense.

#331370 - 11/05/07 09:57 AM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm bringing my laptop if in case anybody wants to share pics & videos or listen to my music collection. laugh

#331371 - 11/05/07 09:15 PM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

See ya in the AM!

#331372 - 11/05/07 09:18 PM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

[Crybaby] wish i could go! [Crybaby]

#331373 - 11/05/07 09:42 PM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

See you guys in the morning. laugh

#331374 - 12/05/07 08:19 PM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
NOSUP4U Offline

Pic of us camping in box canyon:

Oh wait, thats in our backyard tonight because the first half of the group lost track of 6 of us, and none of us knew where to go, and we got lost, ran into a dead end, and at 12:30 we were just barely past the end of box canyon, and weren't sure exactly where we were supposed to go. So Shan and I decided not to risk 5 more hours of driving with Kaelyn already getting restless and no sure end point in sight.

So 8 hours and 1/2 a tank of gas later we got back home and set up camp here. Oh well, smores were good smile

Mark

#331375 - 12/05/07 08:26 PM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
none of us knew where to go, and we got lost, ran into a dead end, and at 12:30 we were just barely past the end of box canyon, and weren't sure exactly where we were supposed to go.
[Spit]
eek
[Huh?]
[LOL]

#331376 - 12/05/07 08:36 PM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

We eventually found our way to US60 in (more or less) one piece.

I was the only one planning to camp, but with no spare (thanks to a 3" slice in my right rear sidewall) I wasn't about to head out on my own with no idea exactly where I was going.

Now I've got to do something about that hideous Rugged Trail on the back...

#331377 - 12/05/07 09:31 PM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
NOSUP4U Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pluvo:
We eventually found our way to US60 in (more or less) one piece.

I was the only one planning to camp, but with no spare (thanks to a 3" slice in my right rear sidewall) I wasn't about to head out on my own with no idea exactly where I was going.

Now I've got to do something about that hideous Rugged Trail on the back...
Glad you guys made it out ok. I had a feeling that turnoff you guys took would eventually end up back at the 60.

Mark

#331378 - 12/05/07 11:53 PM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NOSUP4U:
Glad you guys made it out ok. I had a feeling that turnoff you guys took would eventually end up back at the 60.

Mark
Yep, thanks to GPS! I still can't believe that I can have a road on the map where a wrong approach to an uphill can take out my whole underside... not that I am complaining, I actually knew where we were going for once.

And I am always down for the second attempt!

#331379 - 13/05/07 06:26 AM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

Some great spotting of those under protected trucks Mark. [ThumbsUp]

Great time out even though we were ditched by the Modified trucks, we still had fun. Thanks guys.

#331380 - 13/05/07 08:55 AM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
NOSUP4U Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Conundrum:

Great time out even though we were ditched by the Modified trucks, we still had fun. Thanks guys.
Thanks, its definitely a trail that can be done by a decent stock 4X4 with some good driving and good spotting. I'm more than slightly annoyed about the being ditched thing. I don't make it out to a lot of runs, and this is the second one in a row I've been on where a group has been left behind. Whatever happened to the 'never lose sight of the truck behind you' rule?

But it was still a fun day of wheeling. And I still have TRE's to put on, so if you're free anytime soon Adam let me know...

Mark

#331381 - 13/05/07 09:26 AM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

I might have time this week, I say might because I don't know when exactly their going to turn the house over to us to move in. Call me if you are going to be able to drop by. Shouldn't take long to get them on.

#331382 - 13/05/07 10:50 AM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Very true, I appreciate all the help from you guys smile Certainly helped me from "modifying" my X any further!

#331383 - 13/05/07 12:11 PM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Great time out even though we were ditched by the Modified trucks.
Sorry Adam, but that's a bunch of crap. You offered to sweep after JW offered first. You had a CB, and we were not 400 yards away from that yellow arrow sign on the right fork for well over an hour waiting for you guys. Tim and Georgie both went looking for you guys down the way you apparently went and no one was answering the radios.

We always wait when the group gets split to get everyone back together. After doing 7 AZ runs with a group twice this size and not losing them, we've got a little experience here.

I hate it for you guys that you didn't get to finish the trail, but it's really important on a large group run to keep the truck ahead of you in sight. If they're not anymore, call out.

I also thought some of the crew had run the Coke Ovens before and knew where they were going. On future runs, we'll ensure someone who knows the trails is in the back.

Sorry your day got shot, but don't accuse us of ditching you. We wanted to run with you guys and share the camp last night. We sent people looking for you. We were constantly trying FRS and CB's to reach you. We didn't have phone service there, else we would have tried that too. I'm not sure what else we could have done. I still want to see that new Frontier on the trails to see how it does. All the SWANKY guys could see a truck in the mirror to the point where we stopped. I'm not sure who the last Xterra was that came up behind us, and there's no use pointing fingers.

If you guys would like (and don't take this the wrong way), but I'd be happy to come to one of the AZXC meetings and talk about trail etiquette, tactics, etc. for traveling in a large group. For some of the newer folks, it might be really helpful to them.

#331384 - 13/05/07 02:42 PM Re: May 12th Box Canyon/Florence
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry Ditching may have been a bit harsh. I think what the problem was is there were new people along with stock rigs that couldn't have taken the lines you traveled without seriously holding up the group.
I understand you guys and appreciate your being there, but it was our fault for having underprepared trucks with the overly ones. laugh
Next time if we want a diverse group we could have someone with the newbs who will lead/spot them to the destination.
I had no idea where to go and I thought I had a decent radio, but it failed me in the canyons, etc. I talked to Georgie at the first fork where we went left and one X got stuck. We were there for quite some time.
Either way I had fun and hope to run with you crazy guys again.
Adam

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal