shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#332503 - 26/11/04 07:13 AM Class project video, comments/critiques welcome [56k rolls off a cliff]
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
This is the first half of a video project I'm doing. The last two clips are placeholders, they won't be in the final cut, and I'm still playing with the rest.

Warning, it's uncompressed so it's around 70MB for only 18 seconds.

http://www.doomedop.com/downloads/testrender.mpg
(Right-click, Save-as)

I wrote, directed and am in the process of editing this .. and yeah, that's my X, with me driving.

Comments and critiques are more than welcome smile

#332504 - 26/11/04 11:27 AM Re: Class project video, comments/critiques welcome [56k rolls off a cliff]
BoneCrusher Offline

Loc: In a Bar near YOU!
wow im on a t1 and this thing is takin forever

Ill give it a chance though

la di da la la ladi doodle de da

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

99% of democrats give the rest a bad name

Liberals are constantly Inflaming the culture war. They seem to forget which side has all the guns.

#332505 - 26/11/04 11:36 AM Re: Class project video, comments/critiques welcome [56k rolls off a cliff]
BoneCrusher Offline

Loc: In a Bar near YOU!
Angles arent to bad
It looks alright

What is it for exactly?

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

99% of democrats give the rest a bad name

Liberals are constantly Inflaming the culture war. They seem to forget which side has all the guns.

#332506 - 26/11/04 12:02 PM Re: Class project video, comments/critiques welcome [56k rolls off a cliff]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TremorX:
This is the first half of a video project I'm doing. The last two clips are placeholders, they won't be in the final cut, and I'm still playing with the rest.

Warning, it's uncompressed so it's around 70MB for only 18 seconds.

http://www.doomedop.com/downloads/TESTR1arizona.avi
(Right-click, Save-as)

I wrote, directed and am in the process of editing this .. and yeah, that's my X, with me driving.

Comments and critiques are more than welcome smile
I'm more than willing to give it a look, but can you compress it a bit. I just don't have time for a 25 min. download.

#332507 - 26/11/04 12:27 PM Re: Class project video, comments/critiques welcome [56k rolls off a cliff]
TremorX Offline

It's going to be a "keep the desert clean" type thing; 30-second PSA. It's coming straight out of Premier and I'm a bit too new at digital video to figure out how exactly to compress it... I don't think have any software that'll do it right now, just Premier and AfterEffects.

I still have some inserts to film, and some of the camera work is a bit sloppy. It was filmed on 5 Canon ZR80's, and only one had a tripod. I got most of ths shots and angles I wanted, but they're a bit shaky. Right now I'm mostly working at getting things time with the music and keeping a fairly nice flow to it.

#332508 - 26/11/04 12:36 PM Re: Class project video, comments/critiques welcome [56k rolls off a cliff]
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
You should have some options in Premier for different codecs to shrink that down a bit, that many megs for that few seconds is crazy!

#332509 - 26/11/04 12:47 PM Re: Class project video, comments/critiques welcome [56k rolls off a cliff]
TremorX Offline

Figured it out, I think... 15MB MPEG.

We've just been going to video, no real need to compress. I'm a total Premier noob, so pardon my ignorance.

#332510 - 26/11/04 12:53 PM Re: Class project video, comments/critiques welcome [56k rolls off a cliff]
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Dude, you gotta put Jack Bauer in there somewhere.

The music reminds me of 24. cool

#332511 - 26/11/04 12:59 PM Re: Class project video, comments/critiques welcome [56k rolls off a cliff]
TremorX Offline

It's from Metal Gear Solid 2. I love the seriousness and severity of it smile

The storyboard goes like.. that's the opening, and for 3 seconds, the truck pulls up inches from a can, then I get out, pick it up, and leave the way I came in.. with the text-over "Keep the desert clean. You can't go too far." (or something like that, still working on it).

#332512 - 28/11/04 09:35 PM Re: Class project video, comments/critiques welcome [56k rolls off a cliff]
TremorX Offline

Here's the rough version of the final cut... some changes here and there. Aside from some timing issues that seem only to occur when rendering (things are timed perfectly in the project, not sure what's happening) it just needs some touching up here and there.

http://www.doomedop.com/downloads/test3.mpg

#332513 - 29/11/04 03:56 PM Re: Class project video, comments/critiques welcome [56k rolls off a cliff]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TremorX:
Figured it out, I think... 15MB MPEG.

We've just been going to video, no real need to compress. I'm a total Premier noob, so pardon my ignorance.

I finally got around to taking a look at it. I like the choice of music. However, it doesn't really fit the overall flow. That kind of underscore needs to really drive a piece. Try experimenting with more intercutting of scenes. Don't be afraid to experiment with your camera either. What you may consider a junk shot can break something up for 10-12 frames at times when the music dictates it. This piece "feels" like a high action type of sequence. I like that. Let the music dictate your cuts. Make them quicker. Try "metric cutting". 10 frame 10 frame 20 frame 10 frame 20 frame stuff. It might be useful. Also, quick pans of the camer can help. Don't be afraid to use "unsteady camera" shots too. The jittery frame can sometimes add to the excitement of the moment. Look at all the "bad camera work" at the opening of Gladiator.

#332514 - 29/11/04 04:35 PM Re: Class project video, comments/critiques welcome [56k rolls off a cliff]
TremorX Offline

Thanks smile Unfortunately, we only got one day to shoot. This is our first project, so it's the first time I've worked with non-linear editing (I haven't touched editing at all since high school, and that was all linear). I like it, but I definitely need some practice. I agree on the pacing.. towards the end the pacing kind of dies. I'll keep playing with it. Thanks!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal