shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#333023 - 01/09/01 08:58 PM Xterra Goes the Distance
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
After a little bit of brainstorming after installing the LoadWarrior basket this afternoon, I came up with a method to mount a normal tripod head (ball or pan/tilt) which in turn can hold a video or 35mm camera. I had to play, of course - even if it was dark out.

I present... The fruit of an hour's production time - from filming to laying it to tape (as it were)...

"The Nissan Xterra Goes the Distance" (5.4MB - QuickTime v3.0+)

Props to the X, the Apple Mac and those crafty Yakima folks.

[ 09-01-2001: Message edited by: BoarderPhreak ]

#333024 - 02/09/01 12:59 AM Re: Xterra Goes the Distance
MerchantOfVeniceBeach Offline

Loc: Hollywood CA
There's nothing like running dual monitors on a Matrox G400 (sorry Mac kids)- still watch the vid clip on #2 while posting on #1.

Good vidclip, border.

For the past couple of years i have considered running a vidcam on my Porsche 911 w/ either tape or HD to capture video as I drive (accident evidence, etc. )

Oh yeah- I don't have a 911 yet. Soon.

For now the X and the Mercedes will have to do- video or not.

-Lars

#333025 - 02/09/01 03:08 PM Re: Xterra Goes the Distance
koalakilla Offline

Loc: Woodlands, TX
My dad used to have a red 911 Carrera. Unfortunately, I became old enough to drive right after he got rid of it. I was going to learn standard on that thing. frown Oh well
SWXC Member #74

#333026 - 03/09/01 03:59 PM Re: Xterra Goes the Distance
BennyLen Offline

Loc: Huntsville, AL
Mac Kids? No need to feel sorry for us. I can also run the video on my second monitor while replying on my G3. No big deal. Never has been on Macs.

Hey Border., I didn't see one Xterra in the whole video smile

I see you've got that new G4 up and running. Good job.

#333027 - 04/09/01 06:23 AM Re: Xterra Goes the Distance
BoarderPhreak Offline

LOL, yeah - well, the Xterra was crucial to MAKING the video... wink

Like I said, it was one hour total from filming to final production... The video is a little dark, it needs more interesting footage, blah blah blah... I'll redo it soon, and in the daylight - and I promise, some juicy X shots!

I just like the way the music worked with the lights changing from red to green, and the last 10 seconds, where the headlight cut out, etc. The bounciness of the video kinda adds to that tough Xterra bouncy kinda vibe. Heh.

As for the Mac, yeah - I got that baby hummin' since I maxed out the RAM at 1.5GB and got the Dazzle Hollywood DV-Bridge - works real smooth. Check out a review of it at Everything Mac (my site)

I'm really pleased with the fact that I can mount a video camera to the roof facing forwards or backwards - I'm getting crazy ideas. smile

#333028 - 04/09/01 11:14 AM Re: Xterra Goes the Distance
karmapitbull Offline

Loc: Charm City, MD
Yay BP.... yay!

Nice job.

I'm so pleased you bought a Mac too... not to mention the fact that you have a site devoted to it (I'll be sending you some desktop designs soon enough).

If you need any help on the site.. let me know.

Hey, I was able to view the movie on one monitor and post on the other... dual 17's here.... Of course... my 22" cinema display is on its way.... Hmmmm... I'm thinkin.... dual 22" cinemas... Whoah...

:: kp ::

#333029 - 04/09/01 11:26 AM Re: Xterra Goes the Distance
Clydesdale_MTB Offline

Loc: NH
Quote:
Originally posted by koalakilla:
My dad used to have a red 911 Carrera. Unfortunately, I became old enough to drive right after he got rid of it. I was going to learn standard on that thing. frown Oh well

I learned to drive on a 1969, 911 Targa.
Dam, I miss that car!

Ya know what big feet and big hands mean dontchya?
Yeah: big shoes and big gloves.

#333030 - 04/09/01 12:27 PM Re: Xterra Goes the Distance
BoarderPhreak Offline

Thanks, KP! smile

Yeah, I'd love help with the site... It's tough to manage three "Everything" sites ("Everything Linux" and "Everything Solaris" being the other two) let alone come up with content, designs, etc. I already know that it needs a bunch of work beyond the main, "splash screen." I just slapped it together pretty quickly to get it online...

You're getting a 22" Cinema Display? Dude, you suck! That is one seriously sweet monitor! I'd hack off my left nut for one if I wasn't so attached to it... (or vice versa)

#333031 - 04/09/01 02:54 PM Re: Xterra Goes the Distance
Snarl Offline

Loc: Eau Claire, WI USA
I was groovin' right along with yer video. That was PHAT. (That's my urban vocabulary for the day.)

Two things: One, do it in the daytime, that'd be cool. Second, I want a high bandwidth, large screen version! smile I would even pay for you to send me a burnt CD. Love it!

The AntiMac

#333032 - 04/09/01 04:13 PM Re: Xterra Goes the Distance
BoarderPhreak Offline

Woohoo! Thanks a lot, Snarl!

Yeah, the nighttime results aren't THAT good. What I need to do is hit this totally heinous road called "Snake Hill" that's deserted at night and flip on the KC Daylighters... Drive nice and fast down that with the tape rolling! The name of the song, BTW - is Cake, "Going the Distance."

But yeah, some daytime/action shots are definately required! Stay tuned for new and better versions! If you want a larger video, I've got one at the ready that's nearly full quality, but that's 29MB. wink

I can generate a larger, better quality one for the Web though and would be happy to. I'll keep ya posted.

#333033 - 04/09/01 07:01 PM Re: Xterra Goes the Distance
Snarl Offline

Loc: Eau Claire, WI USA
Inspired by your video, Cake 'Fashion Nugget' is now disc six in my changer. BP, you rule! smile

#333034 - 06/09/01 04:20 AM Re: Xterra Goes the Distance
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
ok how did you make a 3 minute movie and only use 5mb but i made a 1:43 minute movie and it took up 312mb?!!

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#333035 - 06/09/01 07:26 AM Re: Xterra Goes the Distance
BoarderPhreak Offline

Damn, Brian... You didn something VERY wrong... wink Forget to use any compression?

Even the full-sized, full-color, stereo version of that movie was only 29MB!

I think I could actually get that movie a LOT smaller, since the audio compression wasn't at it's most ideal setting. I could probably chop it in half, or at least 3/4...

The problem isn't so much the video (hell, I squeezed it down to like, 180x120 and 256 colors!) but the audio - which started life as an MP3 from CD... Like I said, I didn't "tune" the audio compression as much as it could have been - I'll have to play tonight.

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: BoarderPhreak ]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal