2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#334968 - 27/02/02 09:24 PM UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
MOAB - that should say it all... laugh

UXOC headed down to Moab for 3 days of fun, wheelin' and Xplorin'. We did Top of the World the first day; Klondike Bluffs, Eye of the Whale and Arches 4wheel drive road on the second day; and finally Hidden Canyon Overlook and Lunar Canyon. 5 UXOC Xterras made it, one had a lift with knobby Goodyear Wranglers (silver), the black one with no lift but same tires, and the other 3 were pretty much stock... yet we all had a great time and as always very impressed with the X.

Check out Day 1 - large or Day 1 - small for the video... hope you all enjoy it... and please, leave us a comment or 2 so that we can make these clips better! cool

Day 2 and 3 to come shortly...

#334969 - 27/02/02 09:56 PM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Sweet... Crystal Method [Smoking]

#334970 - 27/02/02 10:07 PM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
SCoach Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Nice stuff...

A few comments on the video itself

Can you make the credits just a BIT longer so we can actually see who participated?

In the opening, you might want to title where you were and who's truck was whos. A few face shots to go with the trucks would make the whole thing more "personal".

And the last thing, a lot of the action shots seem to have the truck going away from the camera. It's always more fun to see the action coming TO the viewer instead of away.

But nice editing, (could have done without that panaorama spin), good music, smooth cuts, good quality.

What kind of camera and editing gear are you using?

-P

#334971 - 27/02/02 10:38 PM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Really nice videos, beautiful area you guys are wheeling in, I hope I get to visit it one day. Thanks for sharing with us it's nice to at least see other Xterras getting out there when all my local trails are buried under 5 feet of snow.

#334972 - 27/02/02 10:39 PM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by SCoach:
Can you make the credits just a BIT longer so we can actually see who participated?
Just pause the video...

#334973 - 27/02/02 10:52 PM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
SCoach Offline

Ian,

That was the plan, but by the time I could get to the mouse, the video was over! Was it my imagination or were some of these trucks really struggling?

-P

#334974 - 27/02/02 10:53 PM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
Thats a great video!!!!. Great tunes to go along with it too.
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#334975 - 27/02/02 10:55 PM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
That was the plan, but by the time I could get to the mouse, the video was over! Was it my imagination or were some of these trucks really struggling?
Right-click it and save it to disk.

I've been on snow in Moab, and have had an extremely hard time on it. Top of the World is pretty tough up top when you put 6 inches of snow on 1 foot ledges.

#334976 - 27/02/02 11:07 PM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
XOC Offline
Admin

Hey SCoach, I finally clicked your link, and I see you are with the Spanish Trail Rover club.

Your links of SuperJens Xterra video caused quite the commotion a month or so ago laugh

My favorite is the Mogs on Rocker Knocker.

#334977 - 27/02/02 11:18 PM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
SCoach Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Hey SCoach, I finally clicked your link, and I see you are with the Spanish Trail Rover club.

Your links of SuperJens Xterra video caused quite the commotion a month or so ago laugh

My favorite is the Mogs on Rocker Knocker.
I hope no harm was done. My GF was quite interested in buying an Xterra and took particular interest in that video. I thought I might share it with others. I tried to show a balanced approach and posted 2 videos. There are some more videos up there that you may want to check out now!

-P

#334978 - 28/02/02 01:35 AM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
Was it my imagination or were some of these trucks really struggling?
I had a hell of a time moving in the snow, I'm used to the desert!!! smile

The video is decieving, the snow wasn't powder, it was about 40F degrees, but it acted like powder, it didn't stick to itself.
Add in a constant 10 degree slope, where it was easy and level and 20 degree slope with ledges where it was hard, and you start to have problems.

My Long Trails only have about 5-6mm of tread left and I couldn't get any traction.
I was doing ok with 18 psi but at one hill at the end I just bogged down and couldn't get anything.

I'd come to a complete stop and look at my tires and they were rotating in the snow at idle. Needless to say no matter how much gas I gave it they just spun.

A learning expereience for me but not as fun as the next day (I'm sure Robert will have the video for that up soon).

The reason the video isn't shot perfect (comming scenes vs. going scenes) is because we didn't think we'd have that much film at the end.
We'd just come to a spot that looked fun and somebody would say "get the camera out."
By the end there was two hours of footage so Robert decided to make some films.

Kind of a Mickey Mouse Operation but we had fun. laugh

Xterra101.com

#334979 - 28/02/02 06:20 AM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
TK1 Offline

Loc: Taylorsville, UT
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]That was the plan, but by the time I could get to the mouse, the video was over! Was it my imagination or were some of these trucks really struggling?
Right-click it and save it to disk.

I've been on snow in Moab, and have had an extremely hard time on it. Top of the World is pretty tough up top when you put 6 inches of snow on 1 foot ledges.[/b]
The last section was indeed tough to get up. I'm not one to give up too easily and I wasn't going to quit until I made it up that last hill!!! laugh

Tires definatly came in to play as only the two X's with aggressive tires made it to the top.

Great video Robert! thanks for your efforts.

Got paint?

#334980 - 28/02/02 09:54 AM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
Reb Offline

Loc: Salt Lake, UT
Quote:
Was it my imagination or were some of these trucks really struggling?
I don't think you realize from the video how deep and slick the snow was. The trail is also fairly steep which you can't really tell in the video either. So you had to keep your speed while hitting all the rocks hidden under the snow just to make it up. There was one ledge that was so big that not even the snow cushioned the bump and my ass end got air. But talk about fun! I was slipping and sliding and hauling butt.

#334981 - 28/02/02 10:32 AM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
Miikkaa Offline

Loc: Central New Jersey, United Sta...
Very cool vid man!! I love stuff like that. Got meth? [Smoking] Gotta love the smokin' head!!

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Michael AKA Miikkaa

Earth people suck.

#334982 - 28/02/02 11:33 AM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
nolarocks Offline

Loc: New Orleans
Awesome!!! Very fun to watch!! Nice trucks, too!

laugh

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step" - The C man

I also have some waterfront property for sale on the lakefront in Louisiana!! (NOLA) Just kidding

#334983 - 28/02/02 12:52 PM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
CheetaraX Offline

Loc: Ft. Collins
Great video. Did that trail over Thanksgiving but it looked quite a bit more challenging now. How did you guys go down? Just asking because there were some good drops and a nasty switch back if you continued the loop. Would have made for some great video. Glad to see the 02 breaking trail. Keep it up. Also please answer the question regarding the equipement used for the creation of the vid, inquiring mind want to know.

ALAN

#334984 - 28/02/02 01:25 PM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
The trail with snow on it was tuffer than anyone could guess... it was slick, icey if you spun, and a decent slope! Kudos go to Reb (our only female driver thus far) for going up the steps with no tugs!

The equipment used are 2 digital Sony camcorders... TRV330 type... Hi8 tapes... then I capture it via firewire and edit using Adobe Premiere. Thats about it... If you have specific questions regarding this please feel free to PM me...

2 more left to edit and post!!! laugh

#334985 - 28/02/02 11:03 PM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Very cool, well done.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#334986 - 28/02/02 11:56 PM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
It's nice to see you guys/gals in Utah are having some fun in your Xs. I'll have to look you up when I get out there to visit some friends smile

#334987 - 01/03/02 12:08 AM Re: UXOC Xcursion 2 - Day 1
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
Originally posted by CheetaraX:
How did you guys go down? Just asking because there were some good drops and a nasty switch back if you continued the loop. Would have made for some great video.
That's the way we went up. [Uh Oh !]

The snow was deep enough that there was no sign of the trail, we found our way by staying in the clear area where there were no trees so we ended up missing the turn off for the loop.

The switch back is where the first two of us fell out. Luckily the ledges weren't so steep, the snow kind-of evened them out, but they were enough to stop most of your forward movement.
Not much video because those of us that couldn't move forward were being strapped by those that could.

Comming down we just went back the way we went up, it was getting late and we wanted to check into our room before sundown.

Some of us were getting hungry too. wink

Xterra101.com

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal