shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34071 - 18/01/07 07:03 PM Scene to Scene: how was the switch?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was reading the thread about previous cars owned, and was seeing that lots of X owners came from the import scene. Well, Hondas will always have a place in my heart... I think its gonna be kinda hard to cross over to the 4X4 scene.

How was it for all you guys? Import Guys? Domestic Guys? Basically any other scene....

Anything you miss (besides gas mileage!!) from the old scene? Was it a good switch, cuz im thinkin its gonna be better in the long run. [ThumbsUp]

#34072 - 18/01/07 07:15 PM Re: Scene to Scene: how was the switch?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Had a 2000 Maxima. Ran it up from 165,000 to 187,000 miles in a year's worth of driving. Mom got rid of her Infiniti I35 that had some damage from a couple cars hitting her in a parking lot, as well as it was going out of warranty. So she's driving that now with 190,000.

Things I liked about the Maxima:

You could drive it like you were 60 years younger than your grandmother (not wrecklessly...just more spirited), and get 23-26 to the gallon on average. (222hp V6). It was a 5spd manual...I miss that. It was my first car. It was the Maxima SE...fully loaded except for heated seats.

The things I sure don't miss about it:

When i bought it, they said it had new axels. Well, the axels were not Nissan axels...that screwed up everything. because of this, I ended up having to replace the following:

-Clutch
-Flywheel
-Axels (with CVs and all)
-some seals

In addition, the ignition coils went out 500 miles into owning it just like they do on every single maxima (never got recalled either).

Then one time the car got stuck in 3rd gear...and it would not come out. Had to get a new transmission: $2300parts+$700labor=$3000-dad's 10% discount for working with AutoNation=$2700.

Then had the rear main seal go out 4 months after the transmission. the dealership didn't offer to fix the RMS when they had the trans out.

Then recently the Air conditioning compressor clutch went out...turned into $1000 parts and labor...

Basically...i was unfortunate to not have a car that was kept up properly and repaired properly by the previous owner...

#34073 - 19/01/07 12:02 AM Re: Scene to Scene: how was the switch?
Anonymous
Unregistered

easy i was kind forced into it. started getting into bikes, civic got stolen. Spent a year in a scion and hated it. by then i was on my second bike. And let me tell you once you hop on a 600cc supersport bike you realize how dumb tuning compact car is. I mean 20hp less on something 1/5th the wieght. OH BOY.

Plus it lets me go on all the camping trips with my buddies with my own rig.

#34074 - 19/01/07 05:40 AM Re: Scene to Scene: how was the switch?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Always have had domestics, so this is a big leap of faith. The way I figured it, it couldn't be any worse.
So far so good, DW likes it (it's her DD) much better than the Dakota. Only time will tell.

#34075 - 19/01/07 08:55 AM Re: Scene to Scene: how was the switch?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I bought the Xterra and the Pathfinder before as my way of rolling up a Newspaper and smacking the Big 3 american car companies on the nose and Saying "No!!"

I will buy another american car when these knuckleheads realize that you dont need a V-8 in everything. Cars like the Chrysler 300 and Anything with a HEMI are so incredibly stupid and woefully under engineered, they could be beaten with most imports 1.whatever engine.

These companies are so far in the Oil Companies pockets they stopped caring about americans. The CEO's hold meetings with the president wondering what they can do, and how they can save jobs blah blah blah.

STOP MAKING CRAP!!!!

Toyota has started charging MORE just to avoid an american backlash. And they are still out selling GM. Cheaper to make cars for them you say. Nope they make Toys in Tennesee. Parts are cheaper? Nope. Gm makes most of theirs in Asia.

They need to start putting their ears to the ground at local dragstrips, where teenagers are getting more horsepower per ton then they can do with advanced engineering degrees.

The whole world is laughing at us. Decent 4x4? Please, one has not been built in this country since the cj-3b. Dont say Rubicon, or Ill slap you in the mouth. Check the buisness section of your news paper, The Krauts own Jeep. And design stupid cars like the 300 because we are stupid enough to buy them.

Import Tuning should be encoraged, not my bag though. If you dont trust me...part 1 of sevral, watch them all. American Cars v. Europa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaJA7_BD1K8

#34076 - 19/01/07 10:46 AM Re: Scene to Scene: how was the switch?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Drove domestic up until 2002. Had a Cavalier Z24 - decent car then I had 2 Pontiac Grand AM GT's that were total pcs of junk. In the garage constantly. Finally, I had enough and in 02 bought a Honda Accord V6. Loved that car. Best car that I had ever drove or owned. Hubby totalled it about 1 1/2 yrs ago coming home from work on the hwy in a snowstorm. Thank goodness that he was ok. Anyways, we then bought a 2005 Acura TL. Loved that car as well. Handling, ride everything was awesome. Some whack job lady made an improper left hand turn into us in June and just creamed the driver's side of the car. $20,000 in damages and the insurance fixed it but we had to send the car back several times because there were so many problems and in the end, I just said enough was enough.

Hubby is at police college and I'm home transporting the kids to all of their activities and I needed something that would get me around properly in bad weather and I didn't want a minivan. I found the Pilot too big and the Escape like vehicles too small. I liked the Xterra before we got the Acura but I wasn't ready for a SUV at that point, but I'm glad that we have it now. It's been great and I love it. I don't think that I will ever go back to domestic though. If anything, we may get another car to replace hubby's in a couple of years but that's about it.

#34077 - 19/01/07 11:03 PM Re: Scene to Scene: how was the switch?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Agent703:
I was reading the thread about previous cars owned, and was seeing that lots of X owners came from the import scene. Well, Hondas will always have a place in my heart... I think its gonna be kinda hard to cross over to the 4X4 scene.

How was it for all you guys? Import Guys? Domestic Guys? Basically any other scene....

Anything you miss (besides gas mileage!!) from the old scene? Was it a good switch, cuz im thinkin its gonna be better in the long run. [ThumbsUp]
Since I did my first swap, into my 1990 Civic, Back in late 97' I have always been a Honda person. I know them in and out, for the most part.

Unfortunately, the typical age group, and mentality of that particular car, is that of a sniveling teenager. No matter how clean, or fast (12.99 or quicker) your Honda is. It is still a rice burner, with a noisy fart can. I am getting tired of kids revving on me left and right, police staring me down as if I am some punk kid. Guys in mustangs thinking they can beat me down the freeway. Races are not fun anymore, they are down right scary. Car theft continues to rise, with no end in sight... The list goes on.

Moving to a truck/suv has been nice. But I will always enjoy a fast honda.

#34078 - 20/01/07 07:49 AM Re: Scene to Scene: how was the switch?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Switched to an import a few years ago, probably around 6 years or so. Before that I used to have an older Cavalier and then a '90 Taurus. Those were a real piece of shit. The Ford went through 3 transmissions in 4 months with only 80,000 on the clock. I constantly replaced things on it. Letrally, it was in the shop every damn Friday.

Got rid of that and got a '98 Sentra. It was a decent car but had it's issues as well. It really liked to eat O2 sensors and no one could figure out why. When someone did, it was gonna be a $1800 repair.

Said, screw it, and got a 2000 Maxima SE fully loaded with Bose stereo, leather seats, butt warmers, side airbags... you name it - it had it.

My dad still drives that Maxima with over 112,000 on the clock and I've had my X for around 2.5 years.

#34079 - 20/01/07 07:54 AM Re: Scene to Scene: how was the switch?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AHTOXA:
Switched to an import a few years ago, probably around 6 years or so. Before that I used to have an older Cavalier and then a '90 Taurus. Those were a real piece of shit. The Ford went through 3 transmissions in 4 months with only 80,000 on the clock. I constantly replaced things on it. Letrally, it was in the shop every damn Friday.

Got rid of that and got a '98 Sentra. It was a decent car but had it's issues as well. It really liked to eat O2 sensors and no one could figure out why. When someone did, it was gonna be a $1800 repair.

Said, screw it, and got a 2000 Maxima SE fully loaded with Bose stereo, leather seats, butt warmers, side airbags... you name it - it had it.

My dad still drives that Maxima with over 112,000 on the clock and I've had my X for around 2.5 years.
3 transmissions in 4 months?!

how'd you like drving the max? I'm with you. I'm a big fan of the honda prelude, but i'm tired of every one with a big can on the back of them.

#34080 - 20/01/07 08:11 AM Re: Scene to Scene: how was the switch?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Maxima was great. I was actually driving it all day yesterday as I was getting a timing belt done on my X. I miss the way she drives, though. In my truck I drive like a granny partly because it's a truck, partly because it's lifted and partly because I don't wanna fill up every other day. When driving the Maxima, it's just way too hard to let go of the throttle. You just wanna go.

That said, I wouldn't take it over the X. My truck gets me places I need to go, can haul all my stuff and gear for camping along with a few people with room to spare. Plus, I can't wheel the Maxima. wink And yeah... I love my X to death.

#34081 - 22/01/07 04:42 AM Re: Scene to Scene: how was the switch?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ebp_em1:
Quote:
Originally posted by Agent703:
[b]I was reading the thread about previous cars owned, and was seeing that lots of X owners came from the import scene. Well, Hondas will always have a place in my heart... I think its gonna be kinda hard to cross over to the 4X4 scene.

Since I did my first swap, into my 1990 Civic, Back in late 97' I have always been a Honda person. I know them in and out, for the most part.

Unfortunately, the typical age group, and mentality of that particular car, is that of a sniveling teenager. No matter how clean, or fast (12.99 or quicker) your Honda is. It is still a rice burner, with a noisy fart can. I am getting tired of kids revving on me left and right, police staring me down as if I am some punk kid. Guys in mustangs thinking they can beat me down the freeway. Races are not fun anymore, they are down right scary. Car theft continues to rise, with no end in sight... The list goes on.

Moving to a truck/suv has been nice. But I will always enjoy a fast honda.[/b]
I am right there with you. That is a good way to sum it up. [ThumbsUp]

#34082 - 22/01/07 05:16 AM Re: Scene to Scene: how was the switch?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
I'm in a couple S2000 clubs and they are pretty cool... far fewer 18y/o punks in that club than your average civic group.

They do some really cool events and are generally very nice folks (mostly 30's-ish computer geeks like me) - I like hanging out with them - but I prefer the truck club events... because they're a bit more relaxed. Drinking beer around a campfire and playing in the dirt rules smile

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal