shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34106 - 03/06/05 06:36 PM Xterra Stability
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok I have just ordered a new Xterra Offroad for work. (standard of course).

I love the car and it is perfect for most of the year, but I travel up north for three months every winter and will have to fill the thing to the limit.

My question is, how stable is the xterra when it is loaded?

Is it suicide to put a thule box on top?

Has anyone on this forum rolled their xterra? what did it take? Am I worrying for nothing?

I used to drive an f-150 and never had any probs off road, but then again I never had to put any weight high up.

I am not talking about taking a corner on tarmac here, but traversing a slope or the reverse cambered slopes you find on logging roads.

Antway, looking forward to the new car, interested in your thoughts.

#34107 - 03/06/05 06:44 PM Re: Xterra Stability
Anonymous
Unregistered

You'll be fine loading up your X. I'd be more concerned with exceeding the roof rack weight limits and breaking the rack rather than actually having enough weight up there that would cause you to roll. I use a Thule box from time to time, and the biggest factor is the push you get from a good cross wind. Enjoy the new X. Good luck with the special order on the manual trans...

#34108 - 03/06/05 07:24 PM Re: Xterra Stability
ripcurl2151 Offline

Loc: NJ
There are people on here who have rolled their X's, but most of the ones I've read about were from offroading...not from too much weight up high. You might still be able to find something on here or NJAX.net about when Jorge rolled his.

#34109 - 03/06/05 08:06 PM Re: Xterra Stability
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Xterra is what it is.

A dumbass can roll it with nothing on top.

If you're that concerned, just buy a trailer.

Loading the top of any vehicle will significantly affect its handling.

Your X should be fine as long as you sren't swerving at every chipmunk.

#34110 - 03/06/05 09:39 PM Re: Xterra Stability
Anonymous
Unregistered

Am mainly asking if the addition of a Thule will unstable the vehicle. Have never even driven a car with a thule on it. Just want to sound out some owners before I spend the $1500.

Will not be driving like a loonatic either but I do prob 5k on the ice roads in the north west territories which make driving interesting in themselves. Have to often traverse 20-25 deg slopes and wondering if anyone has any experience on such.

Only really asking because friend pointed out that the xterra has 2 star roll over rating. I have never paid any attention to these ratings in the past, and I guess you can roll anything if you get erratic with the steering at speed. The stability with a thule at slow speed cross slope is what I am really asking.

#34111 - 05/06/05 09:29 AM Re: Xterra Stability
Anonymous
Unregistered

You'll be fine. First time I got off-camber in my truck was a little scary (mind you I came from driving a Maxima).

You will be fine on 30 degree slope with a Thule box.

#34112 - 05/06/05 09:54 AM Re: Xterra Stability
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I've had it heeled over pretty good...like opening the driver's side door lets it hit the ground before fully opening...and then grabbed the top bars and pulled to see if I could get it to fall over (I had a strap on the opposite side's sliders with a bit of slack as a safety factor...)....because I like to experiment and calibrate my Oh SHIT! factors.

I'm about 215 lb...and I couldn't get it to fall over like that....so its got a reasonable degree of off camber stability.

I have a 3" SL + 2" BL + 33's on it...so it was a fair test.

Oops, I have an '01....you have a '05.

I hear a gentle cross breeze can knock '05's right over....

wink

So you should be fine.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#34113 - 05/06/05 03:46 PM Re: Xterra Stability
Xterra Kid 2003 Offline

Loc: Bozeman MT, originally Detroit...
Quote:
Originally posted by LordStan:
. Just want to sound out some owners before I spend the $1500.
Kinda really off subject but is that what your paying for a Thule box??? That seems kinda steep. Where are you getting it from??

#34114 - 05/06/05 07:34 PM Re: Xterra Stability
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sure feels solid to me. I drove with a loaded rack to gone, and it handles better then any 4x4 I ever had. Frankly, a modern SUV handles like a sports car and you have to be an IDIOT to roll one. I have even driven off a ledge at 75mph, and drove back on in my modified and dangerous SWB Montero, its all in how you handle it. On tip over challenge my 05 felt about as good as any vehicle can, and alot better then some other built rigs looked [Finger]

#34115 - 05/06/05 10:20 PM Re: Xterra Stability
glw Offline

Loc: west texas
Isn't somebody going to bitch about the reference to the "car"? I guess some are realizing that bitching and moaning isn't as productive as they once thought.

#34116 - 06/06/05 08:04 AM Re: Xterra Stability
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by glw:
Isn't somebody going to bitch about the reference to the "car"? I guess some are realizing that bitching and moaning isn't as productive as they once thought.
Kind of seems that has been beat to death. Yes, its a truck, and will roll easier then a car, an obvious, destinction. While it handles amazing well for an SUV, anything will roll if you drive stupid enough in an emergency situation.
Its like the classic John Stossel on 20/20. "So you sued Toyota, how did the roll over happen?"....." Well, the darn thing just rolled over!"....." How exactly?"....."A deer jumped out in front of me, I panicked drove off a 6' imbankment, then got scared and jerked the steering back hard onto the road,(truck was not rolling at this point) but was so frightened I over corrected AGAIN and jerked the steering wheel as hard as I could the other way, and drove off the road again and rolled....." [Spit]

#34117 - 06/06/05 08:18 AM Re: Xterra Stability
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Clifton Bailey:
You'll be fine loading up your X. I'd be more concerned with exceeding the roof rack weight limits and breaking the rack rather than actually having enough weight up there that would cause you to roll.
I'm not sure where they get the weight limits that they specify from - but they are BS.

I've climbed around and sat on my roof rack several times (all 225lb or so of me) with no ill effects.... it can take a pretty heavy load (just don't put too much stress on the cross bars... keep the weight on the strong pieces that run the length of the truck)

#34118 - 06/06/05 09:14 AM Re: Xterra Stability
Andre the Giant Offline

Loc: Cape Girardeau, MO
Quote:
Originally posted by Xterra Kid 2003:
Quote:
Originally posted by LordStan:
[b]. Just want to sound out some owners before I spend the $1500.
Kinda really off subject but is that what your paying for a Thule box??? That seems kinda steep. Where are you getting it from??[/b]
I take it LordStan is refering to the price in Canadian dollars, which makes a substantial difference.

#34119 - 08/06/05 07:27 PM Re: Xterra Stability
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey thanks for all the input guys, I have never even paid attention too or noticed the roll over rating (or crash test for that matter), the result of settling down I guess.

I guess a thule filled with light equipment will not affect the truck too much, but something to think about. And yes am buying thule in canadian dollars.

Nice to see the xterra does good in the rest off the crash test ratings.

What do you all think of aftermarket bush guards? any negatives?

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal