2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#34588 - 24/04/03 01:59 PM Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
Jason Palmer Offline

I am thinking of buying a new Xterra. Any advice on options I should or shouldn't get.

As of now I am looking at a 4x2 SC. Leather if I can get it, and a Fosgate system. Any other options I should consider?

I live in Los Angeles, and I surf and snowboard but I don't think I need a 4x4, unless anybody can give me a good reason to get one.

Also, I have thought about getting the Supercharged, but people have told me it's a waste of money. Any input?

#34589 - 24/04/03 02:00 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
Jason Palmer Offline

Sorry, I mean 4x2 SE, not SC

#34590 - 24/04/03 02:10 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
FANOF5 Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Fl
I own a 2002 XE, V-6. i love the truck. mine is Silver. i have the utility package which means i have 12volt outlets all through the truck, which is nice for portable TV's for the kid and portable refrigerated coolers for the beer on beach trips. I also have a retractable tonneau cover for the cargo area, and 16in rims and tires. i have a 4x2, and unless you off road alot, a 4x2 will serve you just great. definately go for the supercharged engine if you can afford it. more power and torque is always good. you will have more then plenty room for the surf and snow boards. i would definately go for the waterproof custom covers they make for the seats, since you will be wet alot. i hope that you purchase one. i am very happy with mine.

#34591 - 24/04/03 03:04 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
buffalo Offline

Loc: los angeles, california
Pass on the leather interior and get the neoprene seat covers since you surf. Spend the money that you save on the leather and get the 4x4. SCCX prides itself on being the only Xterra club that is friendly to 4x2s. alot of the trails that we do are capable of being done with 4x2 but you will have more fun with a 4x4. Check us out at www.sccxterra.com or join us on one of our excursions. You will get a feel of what an xterra can really do and meet a great group of people than can educate you on all things xterra.

#34592 - 24/04/03 03:15 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by buffalo:
SCCX prides itself on being the only Xterra club that is friendly to 4x2s.
That's not true... There are several that are 4x2 friendly...

HOWEVER... SCCX really does go out of their way to make sure the 4x2's have a good time.

#34593 - 24/04/03 03:17 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
hattrik21 Offline

Loc: Lewisville, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
Quote:
Originally posted by buffalo:
[b]SCCX prides itself on being the only Xterra club that is friendly to 4x2s.
That's not true... There are several that are 4x2 friendly...

HOWEVER... SCCX really does go out of their way to make sure the 4x2's have a good time.[/b]
The SWXC is trying to get some interist back in the club from 4x2's. Seems the trips we do plan that are 4x2 friendly, no body shows up but we try. smile
www.TheNewX.org
It is in Men that we must place our hope.

#34594 - 24/04/03 03:23 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
PDXterra Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Skip the Fosgate system - put your $ towards aftermarket stuff. Just my .02

#34595 - 24/04/03 03:35 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
BlueXU Offline

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA
I would recommend a 4X4 XE with all 3 option packs. That way you spend about the same cash except you get the 4X4 hardware (which you cannot add later) and you don't get the sunroof which is blocked by the basket anyway. You still get power everything, cruise control, fabric doors, all the plastic moldings, rack, good stereo, step rails (cough cough), limited slip rear differential, 4 wheel abs, airbags... etc, on and on... laugh

Then again, if you know you are not going to take it off road in the next 20 years, skip the 4X4, save cash and get better gas mileage. The truck still looks and handles the same either way.

my .02

p.s. [THE BLUE ONES ARE THE BEST] [Argue]

#34596 - 24/04/03 03:56 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
4x4 and 4x2 Xterra owners are going to tell you their own advise on what is a better drivetrain, respectively...we can't tell you what to buy, just use your own personal judgement according to your financial status and future use of the X ...but you can't go wrong with the XE with all 3 packages and go for an aftermarket stereo and speakers instead of the Fosgate System...Good Luck..

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#34597 - 24/04/03 05:01 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
altima Offline

Loc: Michigan
Get the SC engine, and the leather wrapped steering wheel! [Smoking]

#34598 - 24/04/03 05:57 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
Silent Thunder Offline

Loc: 297 feet up (Los Angeles)
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Palmer:
Also, I have thought about getting the Supercharged, but people have told me it's a waste of money. Any input?
Probably got this "advice" from a non-SC owner. :p

Options to consider really depend on what you're going to use the X for.

I would agree to not get any premium sound system; save the money and get an aftermarket system. It'll sound better and probably cost less.

cool

Welcome to XOC.

#34599 - 24/04/03 07:28 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
DueNorth Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I am also in LA, and here's my suggestions:
- If you will be driving a lot and your Xterra will be your primary method of transportation, you should note that the SuperCharger requires Premium fuel. Personally, I didn't think it was worth it, but that's up to you... and your wallet.

- I picked the SE version. This might be because I used to have a SE Altima. I like the extra stuff like different seat fabric, coloring of gauges, 6-CD changer (perhaps not the best, but I like it) with controls on the leather wraped steering wheel, LSD, and wheels. A XE with all the options would be a bit cheaper but it was hard just trying to find a 4x4 in Los Angeles... let alone one with all the options. One reason why I went through a sucky dealership experience was because I wanted a 4x4.

- As for 4x4 or not, it depends maybe if you will be in the sand or not. 4x4 will provide you better traction if you will be playing in the sand versus a 4x2. Otherwise there is no real reason to pick a 4x4 here unless you plan on going offroading.

Just my $0.02 worth...

#34600 - 24/04/03 07:33 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
The 4X2 will do you fine untill the first time you get stuck on the beach or in the snow and wish that you had gotten the 4X4. laugh

#34601 - 24/04/03 07:41 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
electrobuzz Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
The 4x2 is fine until you decide you want to take her offroad -- and wish you had more capability. You can add the leather later, however you'll be stuck with a 2WD.

#34602 - 24/04/03 08:35 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
wmtrout Offline

Loc: Oregon
Jason if you think you would EVER need the 4x4 spend the money and get it now.
I bought a ford ranger 2 wheel drive and have regretted not getting the 4x4 since the first time I got stuck in wet grass.
I have a se 4x4 and can do without the useless sunroof although I love the leather wrapped steering wheel.
Save your money on the se and get a xe with everything including 4x4. Just my .02

Wade

#34603 - 24/04/03 10:28 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
I go the SE because I intend to keep this truck for a long time and the SE does come with some options that you can only get on the SE. Not all SE's come with the sun roof, mine didn't (nor did I want it - same exact sunroof as came in my '90 240sx and like all sunroofs, it whistled!)

As others have pointed out, 4x4 vs 4x2 is a permanent selection. I got the 4x4 "just because" but ended up using it several weeks this winter due to snow. When you need it, you need it and it is very nice to have it. If you don't have it, you can't use it - all it takes is one time of needing it to justify it smile

As for the SC, it does require premium fuel. This is in an SUV that gets 15-18 MPG, allot less in heavy traffic. If you can afford the gas, great - get the SC - it's tons of fun smile If you are having problems paying for gas with your current vehicle, skip the SC - bottom line. Again, the SC REQUIRES premium fuel. Think about it before you get it smile I have the 5 speed with the SC (not an option for '03 frown ) and absolutely love it.

The SC also gets you an upgraded interior, different color roof rack and some very nice looking rims (if I do say so myself smile ) - mine with the blue paint, black cloth interior with the blue highlights makes a very nice looking truck. Sure looks doesn't have much practical impact on performance, but I still have to drive and look a the truck, and I really like the way the upgraded SE SC trim and interior matches the Just Blue paint - I get compliments and comments from everyone who rides in my X and I am extermly happy with it so look around and make sure YOU are happy with YOUR X

Lastly, read up on a good site like http://www.carbuyingtips.com, fax as many dealers as possible in your area to get the best price and most of all take your time and get exactly what YOU want.

Good luck!

#34604 - 29/04/03 01:21 AM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
Jason Palmer Offline

Thanks for all the great advice guys. I think I am going to get the Fosgate system rather than an aftermarket. Had too many problems with aftermarket installations on past cars.

I like the idea of getting the XE with all 3 options. Not sure yet if I am gonna get 4x4 or 4x2. I do live in LA and doubt I will use the 4x4 often. I do surf, but I don;t know any beac hes in LA where you are allowed to drive on the sand. And I do snowboard, but it never snows heavy enough to need a 4x4.

I am a little concerned about the gas mileage though. How is it?

Again, thanks for all the great advice, I'll keep you posted on what I decide.

Also, are any of you dealer savvy? I see Nissan is offering .9 percent until the end of April. Does anyone have any idea if this will continue into May? If not I have to get going and buy one in the next 2 days.

#34605 - 29/04/03 04:02 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
Jason Palmer Offline

What are the regular seats of an Xterra like? Aren't they made of a wetsuit type material? Or are those special ones. And isn't there some sort of special charcoal option or something? Thanks. Maybe gonna get mine tonight.

#34606 - 29/04/03 05:05 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
buffalo Offline

Loc: los angeles, california
Nissan seats are fabric the wetsuit material that you have seen are nissan seat covers which sell for about 250.00 from any dealership, sometimes you can find a set in the buy and sell forum. As for 4x4 I have used both up in wrightwood and in big bear when I went skiing, it just adds piece of mind in my opinion.

#34607 - 30/04/03 04:23 PM Re: Thinking of buying an Xterra - any advice?
Xterra Kid 2003 Offline

Loc: Bozeman MT, originally Detroit...
Go with the 4X4 since you snowboard your going to want to drive thru the pow when it comes and since you surf you may find a beach where you can drive and clain your own stake at a point and your gona want 4X4 for that as well. The neoprean (wetsuit material) are seat covers for the xterra i dont have them yet but iam planing on getting them, you might also want to consider the rubber flormats. DaKine makes some nice roof pad systems for surfboards. Also just go with the aftermarket sound system nissans dont come with good sound systems and from what i hear the rockford isnt as great as it looks. [Wave]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal