2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#35840 - 28/04/03 04:15 PM How well does super black color hold up ?
XCFreak Offline

Loc: Your backyard
I was wondering if anyone has had problems with super black paint on the xterras. The reason I'm asking is that I'm deciding to buy an X either in silver or black. I've heard ppl say that black scratches easily and is more visible when scratched. Since I plan to take my X offroading quite a bit, I wanted to know if any super black X owners have experienced a similar problem?

I personally prefer the super black, but if the paint is going to start showing white lines from scratches, I'd rather get the silver so it's less visible. I don't want my X to look like freddie kreuger has driven it.

Do you guys notice that after you run thru some mud or kick up a nice rooster tail, that you get a lot of scratches on the black X? If so, what's the best color as far as masking scratches?

Thanks in advance,
David

#35841 - 28/04/03 04:31 PM Re: How well does super black color hold up ?
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
I have a Super Black, and yeah, pin strips show up very well. Wax works to hide most for a while, but it goes away. You eventually learn to wear them with pride.

If you wish to hide them go for a silver. I think white hides them the best, but I'm just assuming since the scratches are white themselves.

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#35842 - 28/04/03 06:00 PM Re: How well does super black color hold up ?
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
From looking at the trucks in my club, white's the best for hiding scratches, followed closely by yellow. Dark colors and metallic colors seem to show them much more.

#35843 - 28/04/03 06:03 PM Re: How well does super black color hold up ?
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Super Black sucks! My '96 Maxima was super black and showed every little swirl and pit! Never again will I by black!

-Rick

#35844 - 28/04/03 07:04 PM Re: How well does super black color hold up ?
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
I got a Super Black X and it holds up very well , I do some trail riding thru the woods from time to time, nothing to extreme, being I have a 4x2, but as long as you know how to take care of a Black vehicle you know all the right waxes and sprays, you'll be alright... probably more work for you since you are going extreme off-roading ...why don't you be a little different and get Granite or Canteen, I'm pretty sure they hide the scratches....everybody and their Mother has Silver....but the color theme is entirely up to you....Good Luck...BTW..XTERRA'S LOOK KICK ASS IN SUPER BLACK...

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#35845 - 28/04/03 08:08 PM Re: How well does super black color hold up ?
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
Super black shows every little scratch. It also shows every spec of dust and dirt. Your truck will look white by the end of every trail ride. You will wash your truck and have it look dusty within hours. That being said I own a super black X and I wouldn't have any other color. There is no better way to show your total disregard for trail striping than to plow right throw with your black X. White is virginal and you look like a dishwasher. Silver is common and lame. Yellow is old news go with the new orange.

#35846 - 28/04/03 08:20 PM Re: How well does super black color hold up ?
kev0153 Offline

Loc: Woodbridge, Virginia
I like my super black. Buy one of those car dusters. They work great for pollen and general road dust between washes. I'm starting to get a nice collection of pinstripes from offroading. Meguiar's SCRATCH X works pretty good.

Kevin

#35847 - 29/04/03 06:11 AM Re: How well does super black color hold up ?
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I also have a super black and if you plan on doing any sort of off roading then I highly suggest that you not look at a black one...Cause they are right every tiny scratch shows..I tend to take my X off roading at least once a week and I pick up new scratches frequently....I got one from this one damn branch that scratched fromt the passenger side headlight to right about the gas tank door..Let me tell you my girl wasn't happy about that.. wink Hopefully she doesn't see the scraped up front bumper and the dent I put on my passenger side rocker... wink laugh

#35848 - 29/04/03 06:16 AM Re: How well does super black color hold up ?
njs1stlt Offline

RIXterra She will know about it when I see her laugh

#35849 - 29/04/03 08:24 AM Re: How well does super black color hold up ?
NPT X Offline

Loc: Newport, RI
The super blacks are a pain in the ass to keep clean. My family has four black cars: My father has a 00 super black, I have a 02 super black, then a black volvo S70, and a black Mercedes C230. You really have to get used to that white haze of dust on them and when you wash it you really need to put a quick wax on every time.

I'll have to say, when they are clean they look better then any other color. cool

#35850 - 29/04/03 08:42 AM Re: How well does super black color hold up ?
Scorpion X Offline

Loc: Ft. Worth, TX
I love black cars... My X is Super Black and my Probe was black...

What I did to keep my Probe looking like new was buy a bottle of duplicolor wax. You use it hust like any other wax (I used it a bit more sparingly), but it's the color of your car. It hides pesky scratches and swirls for much longer than any other wax I've used (talking months). Made it look like fresh paint. Only thing is that your hands and towel turn black, but that washes off (you hands) smile

#35851 - 29/04/03 08:46 AM Re: How well does super black color hold up ?
RI Xterra Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by njs1stlt:
RIXterra She will know about it when I see her laugh
Oh Geeeez thanks Nick... wink

#35852 - 29/04/03 09:10 AM Re: How well does super black color hold up ?
XCFreak Offline

Loc: Your backyard
Thanks for all the feedback. I was going to go for either silver or black, but then I saw Xsnoopy's truck and I must say, that thing looks sweet. Doesn't look like a dishwasher at all. laugh

#35853 - 29/04/03 11:16 AM Re: How well does super black color hold up ?
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by imacsae:
Super black shows every little scratch. It also shows every spec of dust and dirt. Your truck will look white by the end of every trail ride. You will wash your truck and have it look dusty within hours. That being said I own a super black X and I wouldn't have any other color. There is no better way to show your total disregard for trail striping than to plow right throw with your black X. White is virginal and you look like a dishwasher. Silver is common and lame. Yellow is old news go with the new orange.
I gave up on my Super Black after the first couple of weeks. It swirls horribly, and shows every little scratch. I am know in the above camp. It shows off trail damage great.

#35854 - 29/04/03 05:16 PM Re: How well does super black color hold up ?
buffalo Offline

Loc: los angeles, california
I agree with the rest, I have pinstriping on both sides from the trails that we do here in southern california, at first it really upset me but I have learned to live with it, and like they said silvers are everywhere and black is beautiful. With or without your X, why don't you join us on the weekend of May 16-18 up in Calico.

#35855 - 30/04/03 07:51 PM Re: How well does super black color hold up ?
Xterra Kid 2003 Offline

Loc: Bozeman MT, originally Detroit...
wax and wash wax and wash repeat every 3 days for continues super black look and minimal scratches. fell up to that go for it! sure you love you x to death now but sooner or later its gona become a pain in the ass just somethin to think about!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal