2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#366589 - 03/08/07 08:25 AM Re: 05 engine whine???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bankston Nissan, I-635 and the Tollway area, around REI.

They must be pretty sure of mine because it's a big job for them. I'm still going to take a listen before I drive out of there and make sure though.

#366590 - 03/08/07 08:50 AM Re: 05 engine whine???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike in NRH:
Quote:
Originally posted by vondy:
[b]Well they just called. Sure enough, it's the timing chain guide or something in that area. They have to pull it apart first to be certain. Couple day job assuming they can get the parts soon enough.

This dealership has done a couple of these so far.
Hey Vondy, what dealership did you take to get that diagnosis? I'm in Dallas too, and the dealership I went to (Texas Nissan - formally Don Davis Nissan in Grapevine) is telling me mine is something different.

I'd like to have a back up plan incase the repairs they are planning to do tomorrow do not work.[/b]
Since it is a big job and under warranty, some dealers dont want to take the time to do it. The first dealer I went to in addition to " they all make that noise" told me that since the engine is under 50,000 miles warranty, then live with it.
Needless to say, I got another opinion and I'm glad I did.

#366591 - 10/08/07 12:13 PM Re: 05 engine whine???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, finally got her back today, took over a week for them to get all the parts and put the X back together. So far so good, but I have a 4 hour drive in front of me tonight so we will see how she holds up.in

Thanks All! Keep an ear out for the whine!

#366592 - 10/08/07 10:01 PM Re: 05 engine whine???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cool, let us know if there may be any difference in performance, etc.

#366593 - 11/08/07 12:43 AM Re: 05 engine whine???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm with you Adam, my X has barely seen 300 miles per tank.

#366594 - 11/08/07 10:57 AM Re: 05 engine whine???
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Man, what's up with Nissan and timing chains? The KA24E engine in my 240sx had a chain, and the guides would disintegrate on those pretty regularly too. The problem is, when they were gone there wasn't really any noise to notice (the damn fuel injectors were so loud many people mistook them for the valves, but I digress). Over time, the chain slapping against the housing would wear through - it was either the back of the water pump or the front of the block - I forget now. Anyway, the end result is coolant everywhere and a very expensive repair mad

Glad you got it taken care of!

#366595 - 13/08/07 07:58 AM Re: 05 engine whine???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well.... the X is back at the dealership. I noticed, after my 4 hour drive to my brother's house, that there was a burnt smell and a bit of smoke coming from under the hood. Sure enough, someone didn't do a very good job sealing up a valve cover and there was a small oil leak dripping onto the exhaust. Fortunately it was small enough for me to get back home.

They put me in another rental, hopefully it want take long for them to get it back to me. I pretty much expected this to tell you the truth. The dealers can't ever seem to do anything right the first time. How hard can it be to tighten things to the correct specs?

I noticed instead of an actual gasket, they used a gasket maker sealant to reseal the valve covers. Anyone know if this is proper?

#366596 - 13/08/07 08:06 AM Re: 05 engine whine???
Anonymous
Unregistered

That sucks Vondy. I had my S/C replaced and they forgot to tighten one of the coolant lines for it. I noticed after a trip to CA from AZ and Back. Fortunately it was a very short line and could not blow off.

Hope all goes well and I don't know if the gasket is correct but these days they use a lot of liquid alternatives.

#366597 - 13/08/07 01:59 PM Re: 05 engine whine???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Well.... the X is back at the dealership. I noticed, after my 4 hour drive to my brother's house, that there was a burnt smell and a bit of smoke coming from under the hood. Sure enough, someone didn't do a very good job sealing up a valve cover and there was a small oil leak dripping onto the exhaust. Fortunately it was small enough for me to get back home.

They put me in another rental, hopefully it want take long for them to get it back to me. I pretty much expected this to tell you the truth. The dealers can't ever seem to do anything right the first time. How hard can it be to tighten things to the correct specs?

I noticed instead of an actual gasket, they used a gasket maker sealant to reseal the valve covers. Anyone know if this is proper?
Since the late 80's manufactures have switched over to permatex or other alternatives for most assembled products---they still use head gaskets and intake gaskets, but that's about it.

#366598 - 14/08/07 07:22 AM Re: 05 engine whine???
Anonymous
Unregistered

The X is all fixed up now. It was a valve cover leaking, they replaced the gasket and put it on right this time.

Of course last night when I was driving home someone cut in front of me and a rock it my windshield. So now I have a lovely crack making a journey across the glass.

I guess the tires will explode next!

#366599 - 14/08/07 08:07 AM Re: 05 engine whine???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
The X is all fixed up now. It was a valve cover leaking, they replaced the gasket and put it on right this time.

Of course last night when I was driving home someone cut in front of me and a rock it my windshield. So now I have a lovely crack making a journey across the glass.

I guess the tires will explode next!
[ThumbsUp]

#366600 - 16/09/07 08:12 AM Re: 05 engine whine???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm getting my X checked out again on Monday. They initially thought it was the tensioner belt too, but after reading this I gave them a call. Hopefully I get positive results because my X sounds like my friend's GTI right now and that's just not right.

#366601 - 19/09/07 01:24 PM Re: 05 engine whine???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Turns out it IS the timing chain components. My X has been there since Monday... It's Wednesday and they're just barely starting the work today because a part was backordered. Hopefully I get it back working like new.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal