shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#373993 - 03/02/04 12:39 PM going to hawaii in late april/early may
buffalo Offline

Loc: los angeles, california
I've read the previous posts on vacation advice and gotten some good info.
The wife and I are planning on using our timeshare that we invested in a little over a year ago. we will be there for 8days/7nights. question #1 we have a resort on the big island, 2 in maui and one in kauai, which island would you reccomend visiting? I have been to oahu twice abouy 20 years ago, she has never been outside of California. She will more than likely be happy with seeing touristy things, I prefer to hike, snorkel, and see the true natural beauty of Hawaii, I am physically active, she on the other hand is not. The one thing that I would definitely like to do is take her snorkeling, but she is afraid of drowning,waves,etc. Q#2 Any recommendations on where I can take her for snorkeling with little to no tide. Q#3 the one tourist attraction I would like to visit again is Pearl Harbor (yes I know its On Oahu) is it possible to travel to Oahu from the other islands and return the same day. This will be the first of many posts as new questions come up and as my vacation dates come closer. Thanks in advance for any advice.

#373994 - 03/02/04 01:58 PM Re: going to hawaii in late april/early may
Lopaka Offline

Loc: Chinatown, Honolulu, Hawaii, ...
Hi Buffalo,

My favorite island is the "Big Island" or the island of Hawaii. You can drive from beautiful, tropical beaches at sea level to a snow covered volcano in a couple of hours, this time of year. In my opinion, the big island has it all. Beautiful beaches, rain forests, deserts, rolling grass covered hills, the worlds longest flowing active volcano.

If your wife isn't active, there are still plenty of things to do in the way of sightseeing. Drive around the island, explore Volcanoes National Park, visit the many black sand beaches, drive to the top of a 14,000 foot volcano (rental of 4x4 required).

Snorkeling at Honaunau Marine Life Preserve, adjacent to the City of Refuge, is almost always very safe and offers some astonishing underwater vistas (bring one of those cheap disposable underwater cameras). Walk out on the flat lava rocks and jump in. Go early for the clearest water.

Yes, you can travel between islands in the same day. The number of flights on Aloha and Hawaiian airlines has been reduced so reserve well in advance and expect to pay a little over $200.00 round trip, each. If you have frequent flyer miles, 10,000 miles equals one round trip.

Just around the back of the Kona Airport is a commercial marine agricultural facility. I don't remember the name, but ask around when you get in the area. They raise Maine claw lobster and Dungeness (sp?) crab there to sell to hotels and restaurants, but will sell to the public. As I remember, it's about $7.00 for a two pound live lobster. I'm assuming you will have a kitchen.

#373995 - 05/02/04 04:33 PM Re: going to hawaii in late april/early may
freek Offline

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
I'm leaving tomorrow for the islands! [Wave]

Going to Oahu and the Big Island. I've been to the Big Island once, back in November. I'm really looking forward to going back. It's an incredible island! Looked like the surface of mars in some places! Didn't have much time there in Nov, though. I'm going to actually get to see the Volcano this time. Thinking of taking a helicopter ride over it as well. Seeing any of the whales out there now?

I would do the Big Island or Maui. Kauai is great, but if it's your first time in awhile, and the Mrs. doesn't like the outdoorsy stuff, it might be a little too slow. I would recommend the Big Island over Maui though. Enough variety of stuff to do for both of you but not as touristy as Maui.

#373996 - 29/02/04 11:20 AM Re: going to hawaii in late april/early may
miket Offline

Loc: big island, hi
For Aloha Airlines interisland flights, the best deal you can find right now is by purchasing tickets online under the frequent flyer section (not under general booking). I just got one for Hilo - Honolulu for $121.

Enjoy,
-mikeT

#373997 - 07/03/04 06:05 PM Re: going to hawaii in late april/early may
Anonymous
Unregistered

big island is the best, no question but unless your comming to hear my band play or hit one of the few bars in kona, expect the streets to roll up at around 9. especially in the resort areas, if you make it to the big island, the bands name is the blind venetians, we play in waikoloa primarily, usually twice a week. have fun. wave when you see a yellow x.lol

Moderator:  Xterrian 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal