shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#374007 - 07/06/03 02:06 PM P:ound for Pound
off2cjb Offline

After traveling all over the world and particularlly this great country, I gotta say that Hawaii has the most Xterras and Frontiers per square inch than any other city or state. Geez, they are everywhere, an no XOC stickers. Man, if I move here in a month, what will I do.

#374008 - 07/06/03 02:45 PM Re: P:ound for Pound
DKX01 Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA
There aren't too many of us here, I think I have one of the 3 XOC stickers on Oahu...and the wheelin' is very scarce...I love the beaches and the crystal blue water, (great spearfishing and boogie boarding), but there is absolutly no place to wheel over here :rolleyes: Every little peice of land is private property, the one place on the North Shore that we go to fool around a little (see my homepage) is getting closed off to wheelers and ATV'rs very soon, too many people that don't drive carefully, (trampling the plantlife) ruined that for us...We've been battling for about a year to adopt a trail that we could keep clean in exchange for wheeling rights, but it doesn't seem to be happening.
The one time we really get to put our trucks to good use is once a year at Kualoa Ranch, where Nissan sponsors a littkle 4x2/4x4 day, it's nice, but kind of cheesy. They can't make it too tough, or a lot of new owners wouldn't come out. Other than that, if you plan to put your truck to good use, you're lookin' at getting some extra wide wheels and tires, and planning all your trips around beach runs....and even those are few and far between, because 90% of the beaches don't allow you to drive them (sunbather's and surfers spots).
I'm very disappointed in Hawaii's wheelin'. I was hoping for some jungle-type trails, or somthing to that extent. But every trail is posted and locked up over here on this tiny Island....you may want to look at taking up a new hobby! The Big Island has a little more to offer, but Oahu...nuttin'!
I can't wait to move to Cali :p

DKX01

#374009 - 08/06/03 03:13 AM Re: P:ound for Pound
off2cjb Offline

We spent the day at Kaena Point where the wheeling looks great. I think this is the place you are talking about. It looks difficult in places. The beaches look too easy to wheel but fun none the less. Yes it is a nice place, but the wife and kids want to move here for 2 years at least. I am working up at Camp HM Smith and staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Villiage. Give me a PM if you want to meet for a beer some night. My wife won't be here until late next week.

#374010 - 08/06/03 12:39 PM Re: P:ound for Pound
Xterrian Offline

Loc: Fort Lewis, WA
Go to Poamoho wilderness area. I actually got my truck stuck there after it floated for a split second.

#374011 - 08/06/03 01:45 PM Re: P:ound for Pound
Lopaka Offline

Loc: Chinatown, Honolulu, Hawaii, ...
There are places on Oahu for 4-wheeling. Xterrian mentioned one. "Peacock Flats" is another. Contact Jamie at:

hawaiianhardbody@hawaiianhardbody.com

or introduce yourself to the folks on the Hawaiian Trail Riders Message Board at:

http://www.hawaiianhardbody.com/

You won't be the only Xterra in the group, but be forewarned, these guys hit trails for the hard core 4-wheeler and are not for the faint of heart.

BTW, I have an XOC sticker on the back of my Solar Yellow Xterra, just below my Xterra Club Hawaii sticker..

#374012 - 09/06/03 01:11 AM Re: P:ound for Pound
off2cjb Offline

Kewl, maybe there is a reason to move here afterall. Those places look alright. Now, if I could just find a decent neighborhood to move into within reason.

#374013 - 10/06/03 01:41 PM Re: P:ound for Pound
DKX01 Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Lopaka:

You won't be the only Xterra in the group, but be forewarned, these guys hit trails for the hard core 4-wheeler and are not for the faint of heart.

Yes, I'm one of those X's in HTR, (first one to join laugh ) we hit what we can, but aside from Kualoa and Peacock flats (only available by permit, something like 6-8 trucks at a time confused , seasonally confused ) there aren't any trails you can hit that won't get you crossing the line over into trespassing!

This island would truly be paradise if there was an off road park open to trucks...Kahukus has a 4x4 park, turned out it was for motorcycles/ATVs only, so we got kicked out of there too.

I wish there was more, log on to our HTR website, or get in touch with HawaiianHardbody. This is a constant discussion. We are still trying to find a trail to adopt...

Yes, incase you haven't guessed, I'm sick of having to count "splashing through mud puddles on the way home" or "mistakingly driving over my neighbor's flower garden" as 4-Wheeling :rolleyes:

DKX01

#374014 - 05/07/03 06:42 AM Re: P:ound for Pound
Xterrian Offline

Loc: Fort Lewis, WA
May I once again recomend Poamoho. There are tons of fun to be had back in there.

Moderator:  Xterrian 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal