shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#374131 - 02/01/06 04:18 AM trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

any good trails on oahu???

#374132 - 02/01/06 06:34 PM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I lived over on Oahu, I used to go into Kahana Valley and a trail back behind Laie... But that was 15 years ago... If it's gone the way it is over here, the trails are probably gated and locked... frown

Check if there is a local four wheeler club or ask the guys at the offroad shops...

Bill from Maui

#374133 - 05/01/06 04:21 PM Re: trails
Lopaka Offline

Loc: Chinatown, Honolulu, Hawaii, ...
Yes, the good old days are gone. Most everything is locked and gated. You can still get into State land with a permit. Go down to the Dept. of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR, downtown State office buldings) and ask for a permit to go to Peacock Flats. Miles and miles of not bad four-wheeling (check out the side roads). Don't go without at least one other vehicle. Tell the folks at DLNR you are into bird watching, hiking or some such thing. Don't mention you're looking for off-road fun, even though they require you to have 4x4 to go back there.

#374134 - 07/01/06 12:02 AM Re: trails
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
Quote:
Originally posted by xterra in HI:
any good trails on oahu???
There's also few places to play around in Kaena Point on the North Shore. Drop me a note and maybe we can get together and wheel a bit. I'd also like to resurrect this club, so let me know if you're interested.

Hey Lopaka - hanging in there, brah? It's really good to see you on here.

#374135 - 07/01/06 01:45 PM Re: trails
Lopaka Offline

Loc: Chinatown, Honolulu, Hawaii, ...
I'm still hanging in there. Doctors at Kaiser are plainly puzzled. I'm full of cancer but still going, still working. My Oncologist predicted I'd be dead by now. He still sticks to his deadly prognosis. Hopefully I can continue to prove them all wrong.

#374136 - 14/01/06 09:57 AM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Guys, any good wheelin' in Maui? Just curious, as we saw a lot of big trucks out there (some without a front drive shaft!) and we were wondering what we'd do if we were to...um.....well........move there?!

Need the rocks, you know?

#374137 - 14/01/06 12:30 PM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
Hey Guys, any good wheelin' in Maui? Just curious, as we saw a lot of big trucks out there (some without a front drive shaft!) and we were wondering what we'd do if we were to...um.....well........move there?!

Need the rocks, you know?
There's still a few places, but a lot of the places have been gated, blocked, or subdivided and developed... Most of the big trucks are just for show (driveshaft angle too much, just pull the driveshaft)... There are still some trails down to the fishing spots (definitely 4WD only) and I had a pretty good time up in the forest reserve... I posted a few pics in the picture forum... But you ain't gonna find anything like you have on the mainland (hell, the whole island is just 720 sq. mi.)...

Bill from Maui (where gas is over $3.00 a gallon and milk retails for $7.00 a gallon - I'm really glad the X doesn't run on milk) laugh

#374138 - 14/01/06 05:57 PM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks guys for the info. got to go out to Kaena Point today and had a blast.. if anyone has any time and would like to get together to go for a ride give message me and I will see if i can go.

#374139 - 15/01/06 11:33 PM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice pic, xiH (kinda big, but nice)... Is this on the Mokuleia side or the Waianae side?

#374140 - 16/01/06 12:02 AM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

yea sorry about that was able to figure out how to resize the pics in Photoshop so I fixed it. That was out on Mokuleia side. Are there any trails on the Makaha side?

#374141 - 16/01/06 01:39 AM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
yea sorry about that was able to figure out how to resize the pics in Photoshop so I fixed it. That was out on Mokuleia side. Are there any trails on the Makaha side?
As I recall, there were some dirt roads makai of the main road just before you got to Yokohama Bay... I remember my old Scout II throwing up some serious rooster tails in a mud hole coming back from fishing one weekend (we had a friggin' monsoon during the night)... But that was a long time ago, so I'll defer to the Oahu guys...

The Mokuleia side is probably better... And all the restaurants in Haleiwa are just a few miles away... [drink]

#374142 - 16/01/06 10:12 PM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
As I recall, there were some dirt roads makai of the main road just before you got to Yokohama Bay... I remember my old Scout II throwing up some serious rooster tails in a mud hole coming back from fishing one weekend (we had a friggin' monsoon during the night)... But that was a long time ago, so I'll defer to the Oahu guys...

The Mokuleia side is probably better... And all the restaurants in Haleiwa are just a few miles away...
how are the spots on Maui?? I was thinking of shipping my X to either Maui or the big island to wheel around. I might get lucky and be able to do it this summer. but was trying to figure out which island has the better trails. Maybe a few other people in XOCHI could get involved and we could make an event out of it... just wanted to throw out the idea.. let me know what u think..

#374143 - 17/01/06 12:04 AM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, considering the interisland shipping costs (plus plane tickets and hotel), that might get expensive... Might be cheaper to rent a four wheeler (I remember a friend of mine rented a Land Rover on Lanai and we took the trail through Lanaihale - very muddy and that old Buick/British Leyland V-8 had trouble hauling us big guys around)...

There are a few places to go off-roading over here (I just posted a few more pics from today's run)... The Big Island should have more places - if just due to the sheer size of the island... But if you decide to come to Maui, let me know... Hey, maybe we can schedule something when Cyclemut is out here...

By the way, KrisJon mentioned having XCH get more active... How's that going?

Bill

#374144 - 17/01/06 12:39 AM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea I've be planning it for a while and have started a penny jar for the cost. I would much rather pay $150ish it would cost to ship my car and have a car that I know what it can do then rent something that could break down or not handle me... who knows maybe the ferry will be up and running soon and I could use that.. I got in contact with KrisJon and hopefully i will be able to meet him soon. I do hope we will be able to get XCH active.

#374145 - 17/01/06 10:38 PM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, I can't wait for the super ferry to start running... Once they're sailing, I'll definitely be making an "X-cursion" (or two) over to Oahu... Be sure to e-mail me if you decide to do the Maui trip...

#374146 - 17/01/06 10:40 PM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

do u know when they are supposed to start running?? or for that manner does anyone know??

#374147 - 17/01/06 11:06 PM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know the guys at Maui County DOT... I'll check and see if they have an expected starting date...

#374148 - 17/01/06 11:36 PM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Article

this is what i found with the handy dandy google search.. says some time in 2006 so hopefully I will make it to Maui or the Big Island soon.. woohoooo

#374149 - 18/01/06 10:18 PM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

My friend at MDOT thinks that the superferry is still at least a year away from going into regular service... mad But hey, you never know...

#374150 - 20/01/06 12:36 PM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, if you guys are planning anything for the week of Halloween, we'll be there!

We'd both love to see any trails on any of the islands. We've already starting looking at homes and such out there. It'll be at least 2-3 years probably before we move there, but keeping the eye candy rolling keeps the dream alive.

Do they have smaller ferries that run island to island to get the vehicles over?

When we finally move, the PhoeniX and her X will be coming over. Not sure if the islands are ready for the ugliness or not.

#374151 - 21/01/06 01:32 AM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:
Do they have smaller ferries that run island to island to get the vehicles over?
They have passenger ferries that run between here and Lanai, but they're like riding the PT 73 - definitely not big enough to carry autos. Cars have to be shipped by barge between the islands.

My old Scout is running around here somewhere... That little cutie cornered the market on uuuuggggllllyyyy... [Laughing]

#374152 - 22/01/06 12:45 PM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

yea nothing really to transport cars across the pond but you can have young brothers ship a truck over for about 150 big ones.. not too bad almost cheaper then a rental car if u are staying long enough..

#374153 - 22/01/06 09:28 PM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey dude... Sorry to hear about the accident... I feel your pain... A few weeks before I bought the X, I had a wahine do a full-on, locked-up, smokin' tire, four-wheel slide into my 4x4... She nose dived under the bumper... So aside from a scuff on the spare tire and a bunch her paint under the back bumper (from me driving off her hood), the truck was unscathed... Now when I stop at a red light with the new X, I am totally friggin' paranoid...

Hope you get a nice aftermarket bumper out of the settlement...

And speaking of the super ferry, some local groups are suing to prevent the ferry from docking at Kahului Harbor... So, it looks like my friend could be right - 2007, at the earliest (at least for service to Maui)...

#374154 - 22/01/06 10:59 PM Re: trails
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
Quote:
thanks guys for the info. got to go out to Kaena Point today and had a blast.. if anyone has any time and would like to get together to go for a ride give message me and I will see if i can go.
Made it out there myself today. I would have called you, but I had my girlfriend (and her mom who's visiting from Prague, Czech Repubilc) with me, so it wasn't really a wheelin' day - more sightseeing around the North Shore than anything. We had fun though and went all the way to the gate. I scared the shit out Mom a few times, but she was a trooper..had a smile on her face most of the time.

#374155 - 22/01/06 11:27 PM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

yea i had a great time out there would really like to get a group together and go... but it looks like im going to be slammed with work for the next few weeks. at least until the mid of feb. plus im a little worried about taking my x out until i get everything fixed from my accident. but give me a call next time u go and ill c if i can go and if anyone else wants to be on the phone list contact me.. laugh

#374156 - 21/02/06 11:33 PM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

Speaking of trails... I was surfing the net and ran into the Na Ala Hele website ... Not sure how accurate it is for the other islands and it is mostly foot trails, but it does show the Polipoli/Skyline FWD trail on Maui (which, AFAIK, is the only public one on Maui)...

#374157 - 22/02/06 11:35 AM Re: trails
Anonymous
Unregistered

sweet great post it doesn't show Kaena point but I found a few I didn't know about..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Xterrian 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal