shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#374160 - 17/03/03 04:54 PM Aloha, just visiting
4wheelin_again Offline

Loc: Fall River, MA, USA
[Wave] Myself, my wife, and another haole couple are coming over from the mainland, no "X" tho, to invade the islands for a couple of weeks in May.
Any suggestions for good eats, good music, good brews, and anything not "touristy" while we are there. We are going to be visiting Oahu, Hawaii, and Maui.
Oh yes, rental Jeep on Hawaii! laugh

#374161 - 18/03/03 11:17 AM Re: Aloha, just visiting
Lopaka Offline

Loc: Chinatown, Honolulu, Hawaii, ...
That's a tall order, 4wheelin_again (To avoid tourist areas in Hawaii).

On Oahu:

Rent a B&B in the town of Kailua and hang out at Kailua Beach Park when you are not touring the island. For fun, rent a kayak or wind surfing equipment at this beach. Cisco's in Kailua town is a great place to eat.

On Maui:

Drive around the northwest end of the island for a good thrill and great vistas. Make sure you have a full tank of gas and a cell phone. Drive to the top of Haleakala to see the sun rise. Snorkeling at Molakini, off the island of Maui is a tourist destination, but still a great experience in my opinion. Places to eat are Jaques, in the wind surfing town of Paia, and Penne Pasta in Lahina..

On the Big Island (Hawaii):

There is so much to see and do on this island that you would need more time to do it justice. My advice would be to rent a B&B in the village of Volcano. After exploring Volcanoes National Park, hike the Kilauea Iki crater trail and later, drive down the "Chain of Craters Road" to see the lava flowing at night. Take in the great buffet meals at Volcano House in the park.

There are lots of beautiful hikes on all the islands. If you're into this, buy a hiking book, locally.

#374162 - 21/03/03 07:53 AM Re: Aloha, just visiting
4wheelin_again Offline

Hey Lopaka, thanks for the reply,sorry for my slow one. It's nice to get some ideas not out of a travel book. Since we are going to have a jeep. I was thinking of crossing Saddle Road on Hawaii, and looking for some other places to explore.

#374163 - 21/03/03 08:19 AM Re: Aloha, just visiting
Lopaka Offline

Loc: Chinatown, Honolulu, Hawaii, ...
The senic "Saddel Road" has the reputation of being pretty rough, but I think that is an exaggeration. If the weather is clear, you will get a spectacular view of two of the worlds largest volcanos as you drive between them.

#374164 - 21/05/03 06:45 PM Re: Aloha, just visiting
4wheelin_again Offline

[Wave] Lopaka, Mahalo a nui for all the great advice.
Oahu wasn't too bad once you got past H1, that was just like driving thru Boston. After going to Pearl, spent most of the time on the North Shore. We found a little shrimp shack at a shrimp farm I think around Kahuku?, awesome food, little bucks. The drive back around the east :rolleyes: side was beautiful.
We drove up to Volcanoes National Park, did the Crater drive drove down to "see the red", then stopped at the Volanoes house to try the buffet,great food. Saddle Road was mostly paved but you were right, the sights are incredible.
We did the tourist sunrise thing at Haleakala, after the sunrise we did the Couchpotato Bicycle Downhill, 32 miles no pedaling to a Beach in Hookpa Beach Park?????.
You guys really get screwed on gas! Maui, I think I saw 2.42 for premium, damn.
Didn't see many X's, but lots of lifted full size trucks, and old VW's.
Again, Mahalo

#374165 - 03/06/03 08:35 PM Re: Aloha, just visiting
Sharkhead Offline

All I have to say is Kona rules. Best damn place I have ever been. We want to move there so bad.

I know you are back already, but if you ever go again.....

We stayed at the Onion House. Secluded....very cool, kinda pricey...but it was worth it. 3 bedrooms, kitchen, 70 foot long pool (which we used twice), 2 bathrooms, washer and dryer. Plus they have snorkel gear, boogey boards...all kinds of crap you would normally rent or buy.

Best place we ate at was the Aloha Angel Cafe. Quiet, laid back, seemed pretty local, and is a little south of Kona. Food was amazing. The owners and cooks all ragged on me for going over the falls on a 10-12ft+ wave at white sands. I got knocked out, had a black eye the whole trip...haha.

We took our Jeep in search for the Green Sand beach...I ended up on some trails somewhere...not quite sure. But it was rugged and lots of fun. About a mile east (i think) of Southpointe.

I can't say enough about Kona. We are going back this August for as long as possible.

Here are some pics of the house and misc. I shot when we were there. Want to go back now.!!!!

Onion House

Onion House, master bedroom

Gecko buddy at the house, they like cheerios..

Self portrait after getting knocked the f*** out...haha. I had wiped the blood away. You can see where my face met the ocean floor. Some shades of purple under my eye...which is swollen pretty bad. fun fun fun went back out later that afternoon....

Moderator:  Xterrian 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal