shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#374276 - 18/02/07 01:38 PM Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

My Wife is in the Coast Guard and we just got our first assignment - Honolulu! We are both stoked.

The USCG is transporting my X over to the island for us, so I am looking forward to some (hopefully) kick-ass wheeling with you guys. Also, any tips for moving to Honolulu?

#374277 - 18/02/07 06:22 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, what's going on? I think the other guys are actually still out on the trail for the weekend, I had to come back, had some other things to get done...
The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is try and ship your vehicle a little before you leave. I shipped it the day before I left and had to wait a while for it to show. Being here without your own car sucks.
Where specifically are you being stationed? I'm an AET out at the air station, but live in Kailua, on the other side of the island. I'm loving it here too.
Oh yeah, and welcome!

#374278 - 19/02/07 01:54 AM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey Aloha. My main tip would be get any heavy mods that you want to do, mainly shrock bars and bumpers before you get out here as shipping is killer. But otherwise go into the picture section and you can see some of the wheeling/camping we did this weekend and what you have to look forward to..

#374279 - 20/02/07 09:19 AM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

She will be stationed in Honolulu, can't go into too much detail since nothing is finalized (well, it is and it isn't - you know how it goes). We were looking into base housing on Hickam...but not sure yet. Any tips on housing/where to live?

Ah, good thought on the heavy shipping and such. Not sure if I will have the dough for bigger mods like that before we leave though. What about tires, they more expensive out there? Glad I didn't get some new winter tires now though!

Kinda OT, but how have the locals been? Heard people say that crime is bad and that us mainlanders aren't too well liked...

#374280 - 20/02/07 11:27 AM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

As far as where to live, Hickam housing is pretty nice. Living off base is also an option. As far as cost goes, for a pro Comp M/T I paid about $180 for one. Its going to be a little bit more then you pay on the mainland because of shipping. As far as your question about yellow xterras yes there are a few. There are tons of xterras out here. Just most of them are 4x2s. If you do want to get some tires consider M/Ts for the terrain out here if you plan on wheeling often enough.

#374281 - 20/02/07 12:28 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by far west X:
As far as where to live, Hickam housing is pretty nice. Living off base is also an option.
Cool, we figured we could always look at off-base housing once we were there (Hickam).

Quote:
As far as cost goes, for a pro Comp M/T I paid about $180 for one. Its going to be a little bit more then you pay on the mainland because of shipping. As far as your question about yellow xterras yes there are a few. There are tons of xterras out here. Just most of them are 4x2s. If you do want to get some tires consider M/Ts for the terrain out here if you plan on wheeling often enough.
That doesn't sound outlandish for tires, but yeah - a little bit more expensive. Cool, I figured there would be a metric shitload of Wranglers, but good to hear there are a good deal of Xterras too...

#374282 - 20/02/07 12:44 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea there are the load of wranglers, mostly military guys. What you will find pretty cool is there is a greater amount of lifted Toys out this way. Most of the locals drive them and they are just as equally bad ass. O just to let you know anything you buy from Calmini you can get over here w/o paying shipping.

#374283 - 20/02/07 01:54 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Yea there are the load of wranglers, mostly military guys. What you will find pretty cool is there is a greater amount of lifted Toys out this way. Most of the locals drive them and they are just as equally bad ass. O just to let you know anything you buy from Calmini you can get over here w/o paying shipping.
Older Yotas like FJs and such too?

I guess that helps, given Calmini's prices...I do like their rear bumper...

#374284 - 20/02/07 02:09 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

mostly pick ups I have seen an older FJ.

#374285 - 11/03/07 10:59 AM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, we will be on Oahu on April 20th! However, they say it takes 60 days for my X to get out there. [Crybaby]

The Wife and I are still apt./house hunting, we just found out that we can't get base housing. Anyone have any thoughts on this place ?

#374286 - 11/03/07 06:41 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Aw funny you should mention that place.. I was just at friend's house over there. Good place to live. The only problem is it is in Ewa Beach and that place can take you about 45-60min to get to the H-1 in traffic. Then you will have another 45-60min in regular traffic. If you can find a place in Kailua or Kaneohe you won't have to deal with traffic as much, but you will have more rain. That side, the windward side, is a lot more laid back and pretty chill. I live in Kapolei which is about 2 miles down from Ewa and it take me 1hour-1.5 hours to get to University of Hawaii at Manoa which is about 25 miles away. From Kailua or Kaneohe it would only take me about 30min. But yes if you don't mind traffic or plan on working odd hours Irioquios point is a pretty cool place to live. Its a gated community, with a gym, beach, and a little shopette. Overall not that bad of a place to live.

#374287 - 11/03/07 09:42 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Aw funny you should mention that place.. I was just at friend's house over there. Good place to live. The only problem is it is in Ewa Beach and that place can take you about 45-60min to get to the H-1 in traffic. Then you will have another 45-60min in regular traffic. If you can find a place in Kailua or Kaneohe you won't have to deal with traffic as much, but you will have more rain. That side, the windward side, is a lot more laid back and pretty chill. I live in Kapolei which is about 2 miles down from Ewa and it take me 1hour-1.5 hours to get to University of Hawaii at Manoa which is about 25 miles away. From Kailua or Kaneohe it would only take me about 30min. But yes if you don't mind traffic or plan on working odd hours Irioquios point is a pretty cool place to live. Its a gated community, with a gym, beach, and a little shopette. Overall not that bad of a place to live.
So Kailua and Kaneohe are on the windward side? Gotta remember that. Good to know it is a nice place, Iroquois point, and the price is right too for the size they are. But, I will take a look at Kailua or Kaneohe, I don't mind traffic - but I am used to being able to drive 150+ miles in two hours! laugh

#374288 - 12/03/07 01:49 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
mostly pick ups I have seen an older FJ.
Everytime I go i seem to notice more and more Tacomas and Frontiers..

#374289 - 12/03/07 09:10 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now we have the butt load of Xterras.

#374290 - 13/03/07 04:42 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Now we have the butt load of Xterras.
+1 more.
laugh

#374291 - 15/03/07 08:17 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, the Wife is worried about the drive time to the base on Sand Island - so Iroquois Point might be out for now.

What kind of area is Kamehameha Heights like? Found a place for rent here.

#374292 - 15/03/07 09:37 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its urban. The good: you are right down the street from Fort Shafter. The bad that is the middle of Kalihi. Lots of first generation Filipinos and Micronesian. Not that there is anything wrong with that but those will be your neibhors. So get used to smelling fried fish, and chicken adobo.. If you can find a place in Mililani you will be pretty good off. You will still be in traffic but it's not nearly as bad. If she is in Sand Island try and check out Kaimuki and Makiki. Its in town but you will be pretty darn close to Sand Island.

#374293 - 16/03/07 05:04 AM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

That wouldn't bother me too much. As long as I don't have to worry about my wife and I walking in the area...

Saw lots of nice listings in Mililani, but without my truck it's going to be too far away at first.

I checked out the other two areas you mentioned, and found one here , looks small but is only 5mi to sand island. We're only looking for something temporary until we get our stuff and my truck...

Hey, thanks for all the help, btw. I know this really isn't X related... :p

#374294 - 16/03/07 07:50 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

O ok.. Wasn't sure if it was temp. or perm. that is a good spot. You are right in the heart of Honolulu and you aren't far at all from Sand Island. Can you get temporary housing at the Hale Koa?? I know we did when we first came over here. Todd might have some better info. but I think he just had surgery so he might be [Sleep] or [Too much XOC] ..

#374295 - 16/03/07 09:09 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
O ok.. Wasn't sure if it was temp. or perm. that is a good spot. You are right in the heart of Honolulu and you aren't far at all from Sand Island. Can you get temporary housing at the Hale Koa?? I know we did when we first came over here. Todd might have some better info. but I think he just had surgery so he might be [Sleep] or [Too much XOC] ..
Actually I've just been horribly MIA lately. The tonsils aren't coming out till the 28th, so I've just been busy lately, you know, fixing V-Dubs and all...
I was lucky when I got here in that the airstation had some rooms on base that I could stay in, and didn't have to deal with hotels. I may not be too much help in that regard.
I do live in Kailua though, one of the places you were talking about. It takes me 45 min in the morning to get to work across the island, and I'm usually moving at the speed limit the whole time. That's around 6 am to 6:45 To get to sand island I'd probably take the H3 into Kaneohe, then the Likelike over, that'd keep you heading south and west, which is away from town, where everyone else is headed, unlike the H3 to the H1, which curves back towards town and will join you with all the traffic. This all probably means nothing to you yet since you don't live here and know the island, but who knows. Basically, I live on the windward side of the island and absolutely love it, it's gorgeous and totally worth the drive. If you have any more questions though, don't hesitate to call - 480-678-2457. And you're totally fine to write and ask about whatever you want here. It's Hawaii, and we look after each other here.

#374296 - 20/03/07 06:30 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, we're signing the lease on a small 2bdr. in Kamehameha tomorrow. It's month to month, so if we hate it we don't have to be there for long. I figure that once I get my X we will be looking for a new place (this one has street parking only).

Now, just to find a job... [Freak]

#374297 - 20/03/07 09:33 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kamehameha is a good place. Right in the middle of everything. Im sure you will like it. And best of all it is a quick hop skip and a jump from Sand Island. Well when you get here give us a call maybe we can make a day get together outta of a island tour for you guys. wink

#374298 - 21/03/07 11:46 AM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Kamehameha is a good place. Right in the middle of everything. Im sure you will like it. And best of all it is a quick hop skip and a jump from Sand Island. Well when you get here give us a call maybe we can make a day get together outta of a island tour for you guys. wink
Thanks, I will give you guys a call. We have 10 days leave when we get that, so a tour would be awesome!

#374299 - 24/03/07 08:28 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

hopefully my X will be up and running by then. I just ordered in most of the parts I hope I will need. :rolleyes:

#374300 - 30/03/07 09:23 PM Re: Moving To Oahu...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, lots of X s here, but not as many newer ones. Lots of Wranglers driven by young military guys. Lots of Toyota, Nissan pickups. I don't see much use for a 4x4 here so I bought a 4x2 and save on car insurance. Wish there was an Xterra club here...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Xterrian 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal