shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#374461 - 12/03/03 11:35 AM coming to Hawaii!!
Gabby&Nate Offline

Loc: oceanside
Hey there happy Xterra Owners!!
We are part of SCCX (southern california club xterra) and we are going to be heading to Hawaii the 1st week in May, we were wondering if anyone knew a place that rents Xterra's on the big island? Also if anyone could let us know of some good off roading spots since we aren't from the area wink Feel free to send me an email directly if anyone can help!! Thank you!!
a420luvbug@yahoo.com

#374462 - 14/03/03 08:45 PM Re: coming to Hawaii!!
Lopaka Offline

Loc: Chinatown, Honolulu, Hawaii, ...
Budget rents Xterras in Hawaii, but it's my understanding they don't have any 4x4s. Some rental companies disable the 4x4 feature of their Jeeps to prevent tourists from wrecking the vehicles. My advise is to check with a good travel agent to find something with four wheel drive.

If you succeed in finding one, drive up to the 13,796' summit of Mauna Kea (4x4 necessary). There are some places to pull off the main road if you need even more excitement, but this is officially discouraged.

Stay off virgin lava, especially the type known in the Hawaiian language as "Aa". This lava is razor sharp and will shred your tires within just a matter of several yards. Bring a cell phone.

#374463 - 25/03/03 12:54 PM Re: coming to Hawaii!!
Gabby&Nate Offline

Loc: oceanside
Hey Thank you very much for the tips smile We will have to get a "tourist" book and find some trails. Thanks for the info about Budget, and I will definetly make sure we can get a 4x4 so we can check out some of the more difficult areas to get to :)Thank you again!!

#374464 - 03/04/03 03:40 PM Re: coming to Hawaii!!
Lopaka Offline

Loc: Chinatown, Honolulu, Hawaii, ...
When you get to Hawaii, stop at a drug store or large supermarket and pick up a road map book called, "Bryan's Sectional Maps". It is very detailed and indicates most unimproved roads on the island of Hawaii. Some of my favorites used to be around the area of "South Point" including some realy cool roads going down to the ocean. However, if you see "no tresspassing" signs, it's best to take heed as there are a few Pakalolo farmers around who are extreamly protective of their territory.

Moderator:  Xterrian 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal