shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#374489 - 03/02/08 12:50 PM New to Honolulu County
Anonymous
Unregistered

[Wave] Hey all,

I am moving to Hawai'i from Texas and was wondering if there is any good parks in Honolulu county? Will I get a lot of crap from the stte gov't for my mod'd X?

Thanks and looking forward to wheelin with you all.

Rudy

#374490 - 03/02/08 07:06 PM Re: New to Honolulu County
Anonymous
Unregistered

Aloha.

Depends on what you have done. Hawaii or actually the City and County of Honolulu has a reconstruction law. pretty much any mod you do to your car/truck has to be approved by the state. Total BS if you ask me. However if you can just get a regular safety check you should be fine. When you get here let me know and I can point you in the right direction to go to get a safety check. Most of the time you won't get into any trouble as long as your tires don't stick out too far out of your wheel wells.

There aren't that many places to legally wheel around here. When you get out here let me know I tend to go out at lease once a month.

When you planning on getting over here?

#374491 - 03/02/08 07:39 PM Re: New to Honolulu County
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mahalo,

Well I am suppose to report sometime in mid-April so that I can look for a condo or something before classes start at HPU.

Of course I have a 3in suspension, 2in BL, and 33x12.50x15 on the X right now along with some engine and exhaust mods . I pass all the safety inspections here in TX but heard about the more stringent rules in the island.

#374492 - 03/02/08 11:39 PM Re: New to Honolulu County
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just stay out of Waikiki and you will be fine. Where you planing on staying? Let us know if you need help figuring out where to live. Traffic is going to play a huge role because many of the roads on Oahu are being torn apart and that of course is going to cause all kinds of traffic in certain areas. My main advice is stay out of Ewa Beach.

#374493 - 04/02/08 07:39 AM Re: New to Honolulu County
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will probably stay on one of the military bases when I first get there until I find a place (hopefully on the leaward side). I would like to live near HPU without being too far in the city. I would like to be able to ride my mountain bike to school or the beach whenever possible. But that is also asking a lot and I am sure prices are quite steep around there.

#374494 - 04/02/08 12:41 PM Re: New to Honolulu County
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea HPU is a pain to get to because its in the middle of town and parking can be a bit tricky, good idea with the mountain bike. Are you going to be working at Schofield or Fort Shafter. I'm assuming your army.

#374495 - 04/02/08 02:19 PM Re: New to Honolulu County
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah I am in the Army, but my sole job for the next 18 months will be to get my grad degree. This will give plenty of time to do other things. Since I am Army, I can keep my vehicle registered in TX if that helps. I heard I have to get some sticker to drive there. Thanks for all of your help

#374496 - 04/02/08 02:25 PM Re: New to Honolulu County
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok if thats the cause check out the Makiki area. Its fairly close to HPU only a few miles and the area is centrally located with plenty of Condos and what not. It might also be nice that you are getting here in April as UH- Manoa (where I go to school) gets out the third week of May. So many places should be opening up around that time span.

#374497 - 04/02/08 08:19 PM Re: New to Honolulu County
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cool, it will be great to have another club member in the area. I am still relatively new with Xterras even though I have owned one since 2004 (been to Iraq twice since then and had the truck in storage).

Great tip too for condo area that I will have to explore!

#374498 - 13/02/08 09:56 AM Re: New to Honolulu County
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yea I live in Kapolei but commute to UH. Traffic has been getting really bad so hopefully I am nearing the end of my time at UH. Drop us aline when you get here, we are long over due for a camping trip.

Moderator:  Xterrian 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal