shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#375471 - 30/07/01 09:23 PM How "bad" is Black Bear?
XROCK Offline

Loc: Prescott, Az
I heard there was damage on that run last year and I've been going through the itinerary picking out what trails I want to run. For people who have done that trail before, please look at the pictures below from an HXOC Xcursion. There are some pretty big steps and a few of them had a pretty good dropoff. Please let me know how the steps on Black Bear compare or if there is a part that's worse. I looked at Ian's personal website of the pix of Black Bear and they didn't look any worse- though pictures never show the real thing.
Thanks for the help!
[IMG] http://www.hxoc.net/images/3.27xrock%20cliffhanger.jpg
[/IMG]

[IMG] http://www.hxoc.net/images/3.36Elroy%20on%20the%20rock%20crawl.jpg
[/IMG]

------------------
Has anyone seen a 30" black tire laying around here?

[This message has been edited by XROCK (edited 07-30-2001).]

#375472 - 30/07/01 09:56 PM Re: How "bad" is Black Bear?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
The damage we got on Black Bear was from an optional waterfall obstacle on the uphill side, not from the steps.

The steps on BB are much different than your examples.

Here are some pics from last year. The first few are the waterfall up, the last few are the steps going down. It's about 300 feet of rock, about 10 feet wide. After that are the switchbacks, 11 of them, 5 of which require 3 point turns with 1000 foot drops.
http://www.xterrain.com/gox/monday.html

I don't want to scare anyone away from Black Bear, but I also don't want people on it who aren't 100% sure of their driving abilities. There is no room for error.

It does get the adrenaline flowing, even after driving it a few times.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#375473 - 30/07/01 10:01 PM Re: How "bad" is Black Bear?
XROCK Offline

Loc: Prescott, Az
Thanks Ian- sounds like it's more of a "make sure you don't slip off into an Xterra death" than rocker damage.

Appreciate the help, I'll see you there. (I will have brand new tires- hopefully that will help traction a little)

------------------
Has anyone seen a 30" black tire laying around here?

#375474 - 31/07/01 12:30 AM Re: How "bad" is Black Bear?
anderair Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
There was a rep from Nissan last year who did run Black Bear in a stock X. Actually I think he had Infinity tires and rims. I think they were comparable to the Long Trails.

------------------
"They called it paradise, I don't know why.
You call some place paradise - kiss it goodbye." Colorado sucks, don't move here.

#375475 - 31/07/01 04:28 PM Re: How "bad" is Black Bear?
AzJeeper Offline

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona - 82 CJ-7; 20...
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Here are some pics from last year. The first few are the waterfall up, the last few are the steps going down. It's about 300 feet of rock, about 10 feet wide. After that are the switchbacks, 11 of them, 5 of which require 3 point turns with 1000 foot drops.

Ya know it seems alot narrower when you're actually driving down it. Nice pics though. One thing to note is that as you come down the rock ledge, sometimes your drivers front tire drops before the passenger side does, it feels like your vehicle is "walking" down the ledge. (i.e. First it leans left, then it leans right, then left again, etc..)

Overall a fun trail, and the scenery is definitely worth it. Obviously if you've never been off-road, or if you've one of those phobias that deal with heights, this one probably isn't for you. Mostly on the downhill side you mostly need 4wd to help keep the vehicle going slow and steady.

------------------
- Mike

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal