shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#375720 - 14/06/01 04:49 AM GOX location
Ramness Offline

Loc: Snellville, GA (Atlanta)
Did a search on this and found nothing.

Any reason why GOX is being held in the same place as last year? Seems it would make more sense to move it around every year, have it out on the West coast one year then the East coast the next so those of us out this way that could not go last year can go this year? Or somewhere more central like Texas or Oklahoma?

I would love to go but it is way to far to drive and with it being a week long event I just can't afford to take that much time off work to spend days driving there and back plus the week of the event. Just out of curiosity I checked to see how long it would take me to get there. The yahoo trip planner showed over 1700 miles at 30 hours which would be about 2-3 days or driving from Atlanta

------------------
Brian & TabascoX, 2001 Salsa XE 3 pack, 4x4. GPSIII+, Trunk Tracker, CB. AOL Screen name Ramness570

Garfield 2011 Red Brick Pro-4X
Radio Flyer 2005 Code Red Altima SE-R Sold
MagellanX 2003 Molten Lava SE 4x4 Sold
TabascoX 2001 Salsa XE 4x4 Sold

#375721 - 14/06/01 06:21 AM Re: GOX location
rob in Austin Offline

Loc: the womb of an angry jackal
Quote:
Originally posted by Ramness570:

Any reason why GOX is being held in the same place as last year?

My hunch(es)

1) Ouray is supposed to be a "Mecca", if you will, for four-wheeling. What GOX is all about. Oh, and the beer drinking...

2) It's close to Ian's crib. He runs it and obviously devotes much time and $$ to it. It's not a democracy; it's his baby.

It's noble of you to submit alternative venues, but Oklahoma (IMHO) should NOT be one of them. Try again.

I sympathize w/ you folks making a long roadie. I used to drive 30-40K a year for work.

I'm curious though who has considered flying into a nearby airport. Maybe Denver or Abq? Flame me if you will, but would it be utter shame and humiliation to take the trails with a fellow XOC'er in HIS X? Personally I'm looking forward to the four-wheeling AND the comraderie (beer drinking ) but I wouldn't mind taking a turn on the trails w/ someone else's X, nor would I mind someone getting behind the wheel of mine whilst I down a few (Oh the horror!). Not to mention the economics of a $200 plane ticket versus a TON of gas for these "sippers" we all call Xterra, Oh geez, now I've brought the milage thing in... Just a thought...

------------------
"Xterra Pride"
"all your beer are belong to us"

#375722 - 14/06/01 07:10 AM Re: GOX location
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
Well just for the record I am heading down there alone and would not be adverse to having a rider with me and maybe letting him drive(shiver) if they are carefull and agree to pay for damages.

------------------
'01 super black XE 4x4
name: VADER

#375723 - 14/06/01 07:12 AM Re: GOX location
bn300 Offline

Loc: Buffalo, MN
If you visit Ouray, you'll know why it is held there.
As for "downing a few while someone else drives"; you'll find yourself a very lonely person at 13,000 feet. Very frowned upon.

------------------
"I've got a P.B.S. mind in an MTV world."
J. Buffett

#375724 - 14/06/01 08:45 AM Re: GOX location
imacsae Offline

Well that sounds a bit odd to me. While I will certainly respect the feelings of the group and will willingly refrain from drinking on the trails it seems odd that it is frowned upon that the non-drivers have a beer or two. Now I understand getting sloshed would be a big no no in the wilderness but one or two beers out in gods country shouldnt be such a big deal. Of course if it offends the others I agree that we can reserve any libations to campfire time.

------------------
'01 super black XE 4x4

#375725 - 14/06/01 08:59 AM Re: GOX location
rob in Austin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by imacsae:
Well that sounds a bit odd to me.

Me too.

Maybe dude (whose old sig I liked better ) is referring to the elevation?
Seeing as I'll be mountain-biking today from 7500 to 9500 feet today I think i can handle a beer or two at 13,000.

Or is it really poor etiquette? I know I see a LOT of ice chests on the trails at Moab. Unfortunately most people were drinking domestics

Either way I won't be "too lonely".
I've got my own X
I've got my own room
I've got my own woman
I've got my own bike
I've got my own ice chest

See. it's all good.

------------------
"Xterra Pride"

#375726 - 14/06/01 09:03 AM Re: GOX location
rob in Austin Offline

Quote:
Well just for the record I am heading down there alone...

"UP" there, dude. WAAAY Up.
Shoot me an email, El Paso. We might have to hook up, presuming you come through SF. I'm thinking of a possible plan....

------------------
"Xterra Pride"

#375727 - 14/06/01 09:21 AM Re: GOX location
Accasbel Offline

Loc: Chanhassen, MN USA
Quote:
...it seems odd that it is frowned upon that the non-drivers have a beer or two.

In many states it is illegal to have an open container, even for the passenger. I understand that the "official" GOX policy cannot condone illegal acts.

That being said, there is not ANY law that makes it illegal for me to have a beer, get back in the truck, and enjoy the drive. I am an adult and free to make my own decisions, and I have a wonderful wife that makes sure to let me know when I get too stupid to make my own decisions.

Quote:
...Of course if it offends the others I agree that we can reserve any libations to campfire time.

I've met more than one selfrightous Dr. Jeckle of the don't-drink-and-drive mentality that becomes a barroom Mr. Hyde. I no more like drunken idiots in a bar or campsite than on the road.

I do look forward to the campfire and after hours comraderie. I plan on having several toasts, laughs, and look forward to hearing many tall stories.

------------------
it's my wife's xterra; sometimes i get to drive...
accasbel@home.com

[This message has been edited by Accasbel (edited 06-14-2001).]

#375728 - 14/06/01 09:22 AM Re: GOX location
imacsae Offline

He he I guess goin anywhere is referred to as down for me. My route is through albuquerque so I suppose I am going through if not near santa fe. you can email me at wajudoo@hotmail.com

------------------
'01 super black XE 4x4

#375729 - 14/06/01 09:37 AM Re: GOX location
Philosopher Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramness570:

Just out of curiosity I checked to see how long it would take me to get there. The yahoo trip planner showed over 1700 miles at 30 hours which would be about 2-3 days or driving from Atlanta

FSRBIKER, Pikachu, and myself drove out there last year. We met up in Ohio and drove straight through from NJ (FSR), PA (Pika) and DC (me) stopping only for fuel and the restroom (brought food with us). It took us 38 hrs. caravanning with 3 trucks. From my house to Ouray it is exactly 2000 miles.

It's worth the drive, especially if you've never been out West. I've been a few times, and I keep going back ...

------------------

Philosopher's Xterra
Mid-Atlantic Xterra Club

#375730 - 14/06/01 11:14 AM Re: GOX location
Accasbel Offline

Loc: Chanhassen, MN USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Philosopher:
... It took us 38 hrs. caravanning with 3 trucks. ...

It's worth the drive, ...

38 hours is a serious roadtrip. And I thought our 8 hour trip would be too long.

And I agree, it's worth the trip. The San Juan's are beautiful.

------------------
it's my wife's xterra; sometimes i get to drive...
accasbel@home.com

#375731 - 14/06/01 11:32 AM Re: GOX location
CMorHiker Offline

Loc: Lake Zurich, Illinois
Quote:
Originally posted by Accasbel:

And I agree, it's worth the trip. The San Juan's are beautiful.

Ditto! I've backpacked the Weminuche and neighboring Big Blue/Uncompahgre Wilderness areas a number of times, driven the Million Dollar Highway, and taken the Durango/Silverton NGRR several times. Now I'm awaiting my 1st opportunity to drive the 4WD roads in the area. If you have the time, don't miss this opportunity -- it is the "Swiss Alps of America."

------------------
2001 SE 4X4
Alpine Green

Chuck's Backpacking Bonanza

#375732 - 18/06/01 01:42 PM Re: GOX location
XTucker Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO 2000 D...
Quote:
Now I understand getting sloshed would be a big no no in the wilderness but one or two beers out in gods country shouldn't be such a big deal.

First, I don't know about you, but I have found it damn near impossible to drink out of bottle of beer when I'm on a bumpy trail. You risk either chipping a tooth or getting "cold- crotched". This applies to both the driver and the passenger.

Secondly, I would find it a bit rude to be drinking a beer in the passenger seat if the driver couldn't enjoy one two.

Third, I think at that high altitude, even people with high tolerance are going to be preetty F***ed up if they're drinking all day on the trail, so rationing yourself by only drinking at rest stops seems like a good idea. (One of my favorite pasttimes is watching tourists get s***faced thinking that can handle drinking in the high altitude.)

------------------

#375733 - 18/06/01 03:07 PM Re: GOX location
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Drinking by drivers at anytime on trails at GOX will not be tolerated.

Passengers however can hook themselves up to a Jaegermeister I.V. for all I care.

One note however is there are very few places to pee, so practice doing it in the woods or bring a catheter and hang it out the window.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#375734 - 20/06/01 11:15 AM Re: GOX location
Shanna Offline

Loc: Chandler, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
...or bring a catheter and hang it out the window...

A visual I just didn't need...

------------------
"It takes blood and guts to be this cool..."

Yellowjacket
www.azxterraclub.com

Former Member: AZXC

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal