shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#376504 - 15/03/04 09:11 PM Re: GOX 2004
dhsundance Offline

Loc: San Diego
I usually have tons of vacation time during the year but it usually is the week before or after GOX or GONE. In fact last year I was up in Ouray the week before GOX. It's great to see these dates. Thanks Ian for the change. Hopefully some other SCCX members can make it too.

#376505 - 16/03/04 07:22 AM Re: GOX 2004
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dang, im in heaven! I never knew such a thing as this existed. Damn this ft collins haze of edumacation. But I will definatly be in on this too. Man, bout time I do some sort of trip like this with other people, so lonley frown brings a tear to me eye. Beautiful.

#376506 - 18/03/04 05:49 PM Re: GOX 2004
Fletch Offline

Loc: Kearney, MO
Wasn't the same thing planned for the second year with only BN300 and myself having interest after many said yes? Oh well we had fun in Moab before GOX anyway.

#376507 - 18/03/04 07:36 PM Re: GOX 2004
Anonymous
Unregistered

I Might come this year I'll be on vacation anyway, and it's the closest ill ever be towards that area. My question is I'm pretty new to this whole scene, and I only have a 4x2, is a bad idea to come up there, will my truck be able to handle it? Will someone pull me out if I get stuck? eek

#376508 - 18/03/04 07:41 PM Re: GOX 2004
MaloCS Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Nissmo:
I Might come this year I'll be on vacation anyway, and it's the closest ill ever be towards that area. My question is I'm pretty new to this whole scene, and I only have a 4x2, is a bad idea to come up there, will my truck be able to handle it? Will someone pull me out if I get stuck? eek
I don't think a 4X2 can handle the trails we will be running. Lots of rocky, steep, loose trails combined with Colorado's high altitude means a 4X4 is a BIG advantage.

Maybe you could tag along with another XOCer.

#376509 - 18/03/04 09:31 PM Re: GOX 2004
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Sorry nissmo, only 4WD Xterras are allowed this year (as in past years), and there will be minimum requirements as well (ie. no stock Xterras on several trails).

2WD's don't do much good on stuff like this.

#376510 - 18/03/04 09:34 PM Re: GOX 2004
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletch:
Wasn't the same thing planned for the second year with only BN300 and myself having interest after many said yes? Oh well we had fun in Moab before GOX anyway.
Fletch, it's very similar, but the entire week will be devoted to it. If all gets planned out correctly, we should be ending the week with 2 days at Avalanche Ranch . The trails in the San Juans will only be a small portion of the trip.

#376511 - 19/03/04 05:33 AM Re: GOX 2004
Anonymous
Unregistered

A list of necessary mods to partake on this trip would be what?

Let me know ASAP Ian so I can start selling this to the wife.

#376512 - 19/03/04 07:57 AM Re: GOX 2004
surfingteacher Offline

Loc: Richardson
What he said, what are you thinking would be needed for this trip? I will have a 3" sl, Calmini steering and ARB by then.(Possibly a 2"Bl and 33's) What else do you recommend so I can save for those things.

Glad you are thinking about July, that will work perfect for me.
TNT #14
SWXC #95
I wish I could think of something clever to put here.
Cardomain

#376513 - 19/03/04 12:00 PM Re: GOX 2004
XOC Offline
Admin

Basically most of it will come down to tires, Long Trails or the like will be a problem on many of the dusty loose trails and may suffer sidewall cuts on sharp rocks.

The "requirements" will be more equipment oriented, as in carrying equipment to fix anything you break to keep the group moving.

A lift and big tires will be highly recommended, but not an absolute requirement. Stock height trucks can expect a lot of dragging and damage to all 4 corners of the Xterra.

#376514 - 19/03/04 12:29 PM Re: GOX 2004
Anonymous
Unregistered

Shit-

Will there be ways for the stock X's to bypass the more damaging sections or trails? I would love to go, but probably won't have my long trails switched out by then. Also, not quite ready to dent all 4 corners......

I guess I'm banned from Tennessee now.... [Rainbow]

#376515 - 19/03/04 12:52 PM Re: GOX 2004
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
Will there be ways for the stock X's to bypass the more damaging sections or trails? I would love to go, but probably won't have my long trails switched out by then. Also, not quite ready to dent all 4 corners......
You can drive all the way to Ouray on pavement if you like, but it won't be as much fun. laugh

Take that picture up there if you will, that's Old Chinaman's Gulch. Without rock sliders most of that trail will damage your body and doors. Stock step rails will be gone within a quarter mile of the parking lot.

I've had too many complaints that GOX is easy (even though people break shit every year), so this year it's going to be a bit more challenging. It's not going to be a hardcore rock-crawling event because I don't want to spend a week fixing trucks, and the Xterra simply isn't capable of the tough trails Colorado has.

Old Chinaman will be optional though as we will be camping near by. Some may skip it and set up camp and explore the St. Elmo area, and others may try Iron Chest if it has been reopened.

It will be a very enjoyable week of trails that make you think, trails that use your skills and trails that make you pucker, and the best scenery Colorado has to offer.

#376516 - 19/03/04 12:57 PM Re: GOX 2004
Pikachu Offline

Loc: Gettysburg, PA
This is sounding better and better all the time, except for the fact that any needed travel time to/from the east conflicts with ECXC (7/23-7/25) and My Tellico Trip (8/1-8/8)...

But if the plans get finalized, vehicle min-abilities & equipment requirements are adhered to and the numbers are limited or everything is grouped/divided up in some manageable fashion, and things really do end up working out the way you want (and I know you have been wanting and trying to do this sort of "Start in Denver and wind your way (off-road) to Ouray trip" for over 4 years now) ...

I just might be persuaded to, and would even enjoy, taking a trip back out there again.

#376517 - 19/03/04 01:05 PM Re: GOX 2004
surfingteacher Offline

Loc: Richardson
That sounds great.

I was putting off the rock sliders until after my bl and 33's, but I might have to get 2001Frontier to go ahead and fab some up for me before then. Starting to get excited about this trip.
TNT #14
SWXC #95
I wish I could think of something clever to put here.
Cardomain

#376518 - 19/03/04 01:15 PM Re: GOX 2004
XOC Offline
Admin

Here's an early look at the trails I have planned out.

Sunday
--------------

Red Cone
Radical Hill
North Fork of the Swan River
Wheeler Lake

- Set up Camp -

Monday
--------------

Wheeler Lake (back down)
Mosquito Pass
(Travel, Asphalt)
Old Chinaman's Gulch

- Set up Camp -

Optional Trails-
Iron Chest
Grizzly Lake
Mt Antero
Pomeroy Lakes

Tuesday
--------------

Tin Cup Pass - Old Tin Cup
(Travel, Dirt)

- Set up Camp -

Taylor Pass
Pearl Pass (return, snow blocked)

Wednesday
--------------

Cement Creek
Italian Creek
American Flag Mountain
Gothic Road

- Set up Camp -

Schofield Pass, Devil's Punchbowl
Lead King Basin
Return over Schofield Pass to camp

Thursday
--------------

(Travel, Asphalt to Lake City)

Engineer Pass

- Set up Camp -

Optional Trails-
Poughkeepsie Gulch

Friday
--------------

Engineer Pass
Poughkeepsie Gulch
Black Bear
Imogene

#376519 - 19/03/04 01:24 PM Re: GOX 2004
MaloCS Offline

Quote:
Shit-

Jeff,

Would you be interested in my 31" BFG Mud Terrains?

Now that I have a lift I wouldn't mind getting a bigger tire. They are in great shape and only have 7-10k miles on em. Let me know and we can talk price.

#376520 - 19/03/04 01:26 PM Re: GOX 2004
Steel_City_X Offline

Loc: Pueblo, CO
Oh boy, oh boy

Sounds like a great itinerary.

I better get my vacation request in soon to at least block out this time.

Are there any conflicts with mtn bike races or similar events? I would hate to deal with a couple hundred bikes on a couple passes.

This would be a worthy documentary.

I like it!!!!

Todd
First Xterra IFS or SAS up Moab Rim...#2 up Mt. Blanca.
African Adventure pictures....
http://homepage.mac.com/ahlenius/

#376521 - 21/03/04 11:38 AM Re: GOX 2004
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by MaloCS:
Quote:
[b]Shit-

Jeff,

Would you be interested in my 31" BFG Mud Terrains?

Now that I have a lift I wouldn't mind getting a bigger tire. They are in great shape and only have 7-10k miles on em. Let me know and we can talk price.[/b]
Actually, I'm working on getting some 15's now. I'll let you know....

Thanks,
Jeff

#376522 - 21/03/04 01:50 PM Re: GOX 2004
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
I just returned from the AZ run which had a format similar to this plan. Let me say it is a lot of fun but definitely tougher on you and the truck. 5 days of primitive camping can start to wear on you. Trail breakage will be a reality on this type of run so start collecting parts right now. I found a junkyard in my town that has quite a few X's and frontiers so I will be carrying some half shafts and such.

#376523 - 21/03/04 02:25 PM Re: GOX 2004
XOC Offline
Admin

While the trails on the GOX run are difficult (rated 7-8 out of 10), they can all be done without breaking anything with proper driving skills. I've done all of the trails at least 5 times, and have never had any problems.

Being stinky for 7 days is one of my concerns, and I hope to get some sponsorship for the trip to enable us to bring a hot water shower since we'll be camping near lakes and rivers each night.

#376524 - 21/03/04 03:09 PM Re: GOX 2004
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
I hope to get some sponsorship for the trip.
Think Nissan would sponsor and bring a few 2005s for us to try out? Footage of the 05 @ GOX could make some good commercials.

#376525 - 21/03/04 09:25 PM Re: GOX 2004
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by MHC:
Think Nissan would sponsor and bring a few 2005s for us to try out? Footage of the 05 @ GOX could make some good commercials.
I'm really not sure. Nissan does very little to help sponsor events, but then usually come through right at the end with something, which is usually too little too late.

#376526 - 22/03/04 07:07 AM Re: GOX 2004
Alpine Hoy Offline

Loc: Steelers Country
I don't want to damage the X though. I was hoping a few trails and camping. I have a stock X, no lift. I was planning on getting BFG M/T in the fall. I want to go offroad, but not where I am gonna get stuck and have to turn around and meet everyone at another point. The year we move close enough (CO) to the event, the event changes where stock 4x4 Xs will have trouble is not fun. We were really looking forward to going. I prefer something like years past. We really want to go and meet people, shoot the breeze, take a few trails, camp, not injure the truck (I can handle a few scratches, but not dents). I know you can't please everyone, but please take everyone into consideration (especially the numerous amount of Xers that don't have mods). I don't want to sound like I am whining, but I feel singled out. We had our hopes up. I have been faithful to this club and have taken great advice from many and used it to my advantage. I have also offered some good advice. Please take this post as good advice, not as a venting session. Thanks. We'll wait for RMXC runs and hook up then. We are looking forward to meeting and running with local Xers there. Thanks anyway.

#376527 - 22/03/04 07:14 AM Re: GOX 2004
Alpine Hoy Offline

Loc: Steelers Country
Quote:
Shit-

I'm with you. I like it better if there are alternate trails that we cannot make because we don't have the mods.

#376528 - 22/03/04 08:03 AM Re: GOX 2004
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Ian, will there be any points to meet up with the group halfway in for those who have probelms getting a whole week of time off?

Maybe at certain highway crossings etc?

Xterra101.com

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal