shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#377426 - 20/01/05 08:50 AM No more GOX?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlton McMillan:
GOX was an Ian thing and I do not think that I could do as well as what he did. That and I do not have the knowldge of the Colorado trails that Ian had.

goneMOAB is it now.
Some thought's:

So are you saying that anything that can't take place with your exclusive knowledge won't take place at all? I thought there were 10,000 members on this board. Are none of them qualified/willing/able to assist?

I'm sure that gone will be an awesome event, but GOX was the only national Xterra event out there.

You said that nobody else has Ian's knowledge of CO in conjunction with experience planning these things. Probably true. However, I don't see the word "Colorado" anywhere in the GOX acronym. So I guess I don't understand why that would be the issue. There are thousands of miles of 4wd trails in California, Montana, Idaho and other states. Perhaps it's worth taking a look at.

I haven't been able to attend a national Xterra or Nissan event yet, but want to soon.

I don't see why, if there's interest, that an event would not take place. That is the MOST difficult part about getting an event together. If GOX just goes away, Ian's years of work getting people interested GOX just goes to waste.

If resources are a problem, maybe it would be helpful to re-open supporting memberships. There are a lot of people out there who would be willing to pay.

Dunno, I just don't want to see a good thing end.

#377427 - 20/01/05 09:22 AM Re: No more GOX?
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Without Ian, GOX wouldn't be GOX. It was his event.

Having another event like GOX isn't a bad idea, but it wouldn't have anything to do with the original.

Using the same name would be pretty dumb too since it has nothing to do with Ian.

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#377428 - 20/01/05 09:26 AM Re: No more GOX?
Scott Offline

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado
The toughest part about putting on an event like GOX (traditional or Colorado crossing version) is the unbelievable amount of time spent planning, organizing, and executing it. Frankly I think Ian was nuts for doing all of the work he did, but I sure appreciated it. I doubt anyone else is willing to put that much time or effort into something like that. That doesn't mean there can't be larger national events, but they aren't likely to meet the standard Ian set. I also believe GOX is a trademark of Ian's so some other event name would be required.

#377429 - 20/01/05 09:54 AM Re: No more GOX?
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
It is an enormous pain in the ass to do a large event... WestX died because I simply could not devote the time to it and the peopel that could devote the time did not have the same vision with regards to how the event should be handled. Big events only work with one "captain" and that person needs to have an amazing amount of time and patience

I hope someone picks up the reigns of a national event, but to be honest CO and/or moab are the only logical choices and moab already has gone, so CO is left as the only real choice.

#377430 - 20/01/05 10:51 AM Re: No more GOX?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott:
I also believe GOX is a trademark of Ian's so some other event name would be required.
It very will could be.

However, he may be willing to let the "Xterra Owner's Club" use it. Who else would have use for it?

Ian built this club. If you all are so concerned about honoring him, then don't let his ideas die, right?

No club keep the same leadership and members forever. It doesn't mean they can't continue to have events.

#377431 - 20/01/05 10:59 AM Re: No more GOX?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Without Ian, GOX wouldn't be GOX. It was his event.

Having another event like GOX isn't a bad idea, but it wouldn't have anything to do with the original.

Using the same name would be pretty dumb too since it has nothing to do with Ian.
'

It was his event?

No event is anything without participants.

Ian put a great deal of work and planning into club events. Everybody who has attended XOC events should be thankful for this.

"Using the same name would be pretty dumb too since it has nothing to do with Ian."

GOX has EVERYTHING to do with Ian, regardless of who plans it. He started XOC and GOX. Now that he's gone whatever happens is his legacy.

Does nobody else think this is possible?

Because it is possible and realistic, whether or not it's called GOX, and whether or not you choose to believe it!

#377432 - 20/01/05 11:14 AM Re: No more GOX?
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
I agree that there should be another national Xterra event, though I don't think some one should claim "GOX" as their own.

If you're really serious about it, why don't you start planning it yourself?

Ian and Swampy seem to be the only people that can form large events, ask them for advice.

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#377433 - 20/01/05 03:06 PM Re: No more GOX?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
"....I don't think some one should claim "GOX" as their own....."
I agree.

So why are you saying that Ian doesn't want the club he founded to continue the event he founded?

I don't think Ian wants to keep the trademark for himself; it's pretty useless without the club, anyway. We can ask him.

I guess I don't understand why you are trying to "protect" the GOX name. You're not, you're killing it. As far as I'm concerned, Ian invented the event as a long-term club event, not some proprietary trademark he would hold onto long after he left. If that were his intention, why didn't he just delete the GOX forum before he left? While we're on the subject of trademarks, Ian has the trademark for XOC, too. Should we change it's name, too?

Why am I even entertaining this speculation? We can ask him ourselves.....

There is absolutely NO reason to ditch the name "Gathering of Xterras". With Ian's permission, why not keep the name(regardless of whether or not it happens this year).

#377434 - 20/01/05 03:13 PM Re: No more GOX?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think something will rise.

#377435 - 20/01/05 07:02 PM Re: No more GOX?
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
Todrick posted.
Quote:
Big events only work with one "captain" and that person needs to have an amazing amount of time and patience
uh, no. SXFC has 2 huge events a year with the next one Spring Rally coming up in March. We have a Group of Directors that represent the club equalling 7 BOD's. we all make decisions and get input from all of our members which is now 65 active members with dues paid. True it takes a lot of planning and information gathering but, with the amount of members in this club (XOC) should be able to make a national event somewhere. several clubs have yearly events and there is the ECXC, i never did attend GOX as it just never worked out, but i imagine it was fun especially for a flatlander like myself. I do however agree with Jeffw that GOX should continue in some manner, as Camp Jeep, Jeep Jamboree and so on all have founders and continue on. Think about it, how many people have we met due to this vehicle that we never would have met? Does this mean that larger portions of our community should not get a chance to meet because the founder has stepped down? I think Ian would want us all to continue on having fun and being safe while doing so. (why does it seem like he died the way I'm writing this?) Do we need another event? Yes. We are going to be getting a lot more newcomers in the next few months who are going to be reading posts here and asking questions about GOX and Gone Moab. We have a lot of regional clubs in this community that have a lot of knowledge of different areas of the country. Maybe here on XOC we should have a representive from each club that is active and vote on an area to have a national event for the year or multiple events one east of the Mississippi and one west of it. anyways just my .02

#377436 - 20/01/05 07:29 PM Re: No more GOX?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffW:
[QUOTE]I don't think Ian wants to keep the trademark for himself; it's pretty useless without the club, anyway. We can ask him.

I guess I don't understand why you are trying to "protect" the GOX name. You're not, you're killing it. As far as I'm concerned, Ian invented the event as a long-term club event, not some proprietary trademark he would hold onto long after he left. If that were his intention, why didn't he just delete the GOX forum before he left? While we're on the subject of trademarks, Ian has the trademark for XOC, too. Should we change it's name, too?

Ian gave me ownership of all the XOC GOX etc stuff, trademarks artwork bla bla bla.

Since I can not (at this time) set aside the time to try to put on GOX I do not want it to be directly associated with XOC. Thus I do not want the name used. Nissan has direct referances to it on their website and if I can not set the time to do it as Ian and myself would like it, it aint happening.

If the RMXC wants to have some event in Colorado then have at it. Nothing is stopping you from hosting one.

#377437 - 20/01/05 07:44 PM Re: No more GOX?
MaloCS Offline

As of right now, RMXC has no plans of hosting a GOX type event. Even though there has been "campfire" discussions on hosting a GOX type event we have in no way shape or form solidified any ideas or plans. It is premature for anyone in RMXC to distrubute this idea on XOC and I would like for it to cease. If (and this is a BIG if) RMXC decides to host a GOX type event I hope it will be in conjunction with XOC and fellow Xterra clubs.

Thank you.

#377438 - 21/01/05 09:29 AM Re: No more GOX?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Administrator:
[QUOTE]..........Since I can not (at this time) set aside the time to try to put on GOX I do not want it.....
OK, gotcha.

You just clarified my earlier question.

I just want to make sure that I have everything straight.

You don't want to entertain any ideas of events (not even our club's most famous), unless you personally have the time to take on 100% of the workload and responsibility yourself.

Fair enough, you are the boss.....

#377439 - 21/01/05 09:47 AM Re: No more GOX?
CCX Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Quote:
[b][QUOTE]..........Since I can not (at this time) set aside the time to try to put on GOX I do not want it.....
OK, gotcha.

You just clarified my earlier question.

I just want to make sure that I have everything straight.

You don't want to entertain any ideas of events (not even our club's most famous), unless you personally have the time to take on 100% of the workload and responsibility yourself.

Fair enough, you are the boss.....[/b]
Ian to Carlton -

"I have trained you well, Grasshopper." wink

#377440 - 21/01/05 10:25 AM Re: No more GOX?
Todrick Offline

Actually that was not ians idea.

Carlton got that on his own.

Ians idea was to have one big GOX that he ran with sevral smaller regional GOXs ran by others, he even had logos and everything for GOXwest(which became westX) but everyone on here bitched so it was never done.

#377441 - 21/01/05 11:10 AM Re: No more GOX?
buffalo Offline

Loc: los angeles, california
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
It is an enormous pain in the ass to do a large event... WestX died because I simply could not devote the time to it and the peopel that could devote the time did not have the same vision with regards to how the event should be handled. Big events only work with one "captain" and that person needs to have an amazing amount of time and patience
:rolleyes:

#377442 - 21/01/05 11:39 AM Re: No more GOX?
XterrAZ Offline

Loc: Anthem, Arizona
Quote:
... WestX died because I simply could not devote the time to it and the peopel that could devote the time did not have the same vision with regards to how the event should be handled.
That and the fact that it sucked :rolleyes:

Comparing WestX with GOX is like comparing a pop warner football game to the Superbowl. [Save the fine unicorns] about WestX already.

#377443 - 21/01/05 01:05 PM Re: No more GOX?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
[QUOTE]

Not what I said but if that is the way you want to take it fine with me.

Edit to add.

I don't give a rats ass if you want to have some national event. Go ahead do one. Having worked with Nissan for years on GOX I am not willing to stick that name on an event being completely done by someone I do not know.

So quit your bitching.. make up some name.. host an event.

Maybe next year there will be more time for me to collaborate with the legitimate board of RMXC to host a "GOX" event.

#377444 - 21/01/05 01:20 PM Re: No more GOX?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Comparing WestX with GOX is like comparing a pop warner football game to the Superbowl. [Save the fine unicorns] about WestX already.
[Spit] [LOL] [LOL]

#377445 - 21/01/05 07:01 PM Re: No more GOX?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
[QUOTE]..........I don't give a rats ass.....
......So quit your bitching.......
Whoa!

What bitching?

I just wanted to discuss it.

I thought that was the point of a forum.

I don't even care if there is a national event this year. Most of my camping is done alone. However, I was signed up for GOX (it seemed like a great event) last year, but a family vacation (previously booked) interfered with the dates selected. I was dismayed about not being able to attend, but was happy that many others would be able to......

I've only been a member for about a year (and change). I don't know any of the leadership of XOC or Ian as well as you do. I just wanted to express my opinion about how much of an asset a national, high-profile (thanks to the efforts of Ian and whomever may have assisted him) event may be to this club.

I have tried to be positive and constructive in this matter and only have opposed those who said to "kill" GOX.

I can now see that it was foolhardy for me to approach this issue, and some subjects, if not prohibited, are simply bad taste.

That's it, I will say no more........

Carlton, Vince: I apologize if I offended you.

#377446 - 21/01/05 08:17 PM Re: No more GOX?
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
Hey Jeff. You are more than welcome to come to the swamps down here in March for our Spring Rally. For most it will start on Wed. but for some it starts on a Mon. and lasts till Sunday. Good times, good trails and good friends....really that's what it's all about.

You wonder why not many of our club SXFC post here, not that many here care, but it's the attitude of the few that drive away many people here.

Ego's need to be checked at the door or when you turn your computer on. It's a truck...get over it.

#377447 - 21/01/05 08:30 PM Re: No more GOX?
Anonymous
Unregistered

All the "where do we go", "what do we do" talks's [Crybaby] . Anyone interested in putting their trucks abilities, as well as their own behind the wheel, to the test should sign on for AZRUN-V. The threads been in other events for 2 months now and almost no interest has been shown. For you old-timers who enjoyed the original events, you might wanna' come down and see our desert...It's being put on by the fine folks at Nissan 4 Wheelers (or SWANKy as we call 'em down here) It's the fifth year for the event and these guys know what their doin'. This should be a trip to remember [ThumbsUp]
[Smoking]

#377448 - 21/01/05 10:53 PM Re: No more GOX?
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by XterrAZ:
Comparing WestX with GOX is like comparing a pop warner football game to the Superbowl.
gee mike, theres the "no shit" comment of the year...

and we are only in January... you should be proud.

BTW, since you missed the subtlty... that was partly my point... WestX was a bitch. I can not even fathom how much work GOX must have been.

#377449 - 21/01/05 11:56 PM Re: No more GOX?
XterrAZ Offline

Loc: Anthem, Arizona
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by XterrAZ:
[b]Comparing WestX with GOX is like comparing a pop warner football game to the Superbowl.
gee mike, theres the "no shit" comment of the year...

and we are only in January... you should be proud.

BTW, since you missed the subtlty... that was partly my point... WestX was a bitch. I can not even fathom how much work GOX must have been.[/b]
It's been the "no shit" comment for about the last 3 years. Stop whinning about it and it won't be for '06.

#377450 - 23/01/05 05:07 PM Re: No more GOX?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well being relatively new to the boards although I have owned my X for over 4 years, One event that I have always wanted to do was a GOX... But Now I guess I will have to set my sights on the AZ-V runs, and DBAX is right the SWANKY GUYS know their Shit. Its a shame to see that one person can have such a effect on forum/club with as many members on the XOC. Its like the originator sells his truck and the whole event status become non existant. such a shame.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal