shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#377611 - 30/07/04 10:18 AM Thanks from Spooky !!!!
spooky1 Offline

Loc: Maricopa, AZ
Well I had a near catastrophic if not potentially fatal situation happen to me on Wednesday that totally changed me. We were doing a trail called Italian/Cement Creek, just enjoying ourselves at 11,000 feet. Somehow, I ended up with my right side tires hitting a little grass on the downhill side of our off- camber section and it got ugly real fast. Luckily, I was able to get the truck to come to a stop, but it was still rocking to the downhill side with the left front tire coming off the ground. It was all I could do to keep my foot on the brakes. I was on the radio as soon as I could be. The crew that was there got a few straps on the truck to settle it, but it was still probably 30-45 minutes before I was able to exit the truck. Everyone was trying to figure out how to get the truck back on the trail, well, not everyone, some had given up on it and went back to their truck further up the trail (they did come back to help again later). A few people, Nate, Pikachu, Kevin, Chris and the guys from AZXC (Dan, Danimal and Travis) really stepped up to the plate to save my truck. I was pretty much worthless at this point, I was crouched down up the trail ready to throw up at the thought of almost dying, and still possibly losing my truck to gravity. The rest of the gang, Vince, Jason, Peter, Todd, Roger, Stewart, Dave, Steve, Eric, Ivan and Ian (sorry if I'm forgetting anybody) did what ever they could to help, be it holding straps, digging trenches for the recovery gear (awesome idea Nate!), hammering high-lift handles into the ground, trying to comfort me, trying to humor me, whatever it took. I feel that I OWE MY LIFE to the people that were on the trail that day! It has been a very emotional past few days for me. I made the decision to leave GOX early and travel home to my 6 months pregnant wife. Some things are just more important. I am not done wheeling forever, just for a while. THANK YOU EVERYONE. YOU ARE THE BEST. [ThumbsUp]

I'm sure pictures and video will show up when the rest of the group finishes the trip.

"Duct tape is like the Force: It has a dark side and a light side - and it holds the universe together."

#377612 - 30/07/04 10:31 AM Re: Thanks from Spooky !!!!
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Wow, sounds like a hell of a scare. That's one thing about 'wheeling with a group, there are always people that will help, most will do so in a most impressive way when called upon. Glad you were with people that could keep a cool head and know what to do.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#377613 - 30/07/04 10:53 AM Re: Thanks from Spooky !!!!
oleblue Offline

Loc: Winter Park, CO
Sorry you had that scare. It was slick up there Sunday and Monday, my tires kept slipping off my line. Good choice on your part. Don't ever continue or push it when your not sure about it. Glade you are okay and take care of your wife and baby, which sounds like what you are doing, way to go!

#377614 - 30/07/04 12:45 PM Re: Thanks from Spooky !!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good to have ya home safe Spook

#377615 - 30/07/04 01:07 PM Re: Thanks from Spooky !!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am just glad we had a winch near you since it was so tight. That would have sucked.

#377616 - 30/07/04 01:33 PM Re: Thanks from Spooky !!!!
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Wow....sounds like quite a situation. Glad it turned out OK.

I don't know many in that group, but I do know that you had one terrific person wheeling with you in Pikachu. Phenomenal person to wheel with, and it appears, as I figured, a phenomenal person to have in an emergency situation. And the rest of the group is so well versed in wheeling and recovery, you probably couldn't have asked for a better group of people to help you out.

Again....glad it all turned out OK.....but probably not as glad as your wife and soon-to-be child.

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#377617 - 30/07/04 05:03 PM Re: Thanks from Spooky !!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

The method we used is on this page . Since it was just dirt, no rocks or trees.

I recommend everyone look through it, we used the log method near the bottom. We tried the stake method with no luck in this situation also.

#377618 - 30/07/04 05:58 PM Re: Thanks from Spooky !!!!
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Dang. Sounds like a hell of a situation - glad everything turned out okay.

After all the offroading deaths ( frown ) this past week in Colorado and AZ, glad you made it out okay.

Home sweet home, eh? smile

#377619 - 30/07/04 06:52 PM Re: Thanks from Spooky !!!!
Accasbel Offline

Loc: Chanhassen, MN USA
in a week he will have slid 50 ft, in a month, 75, and in a year, 200. there'll be fierce creatures gnawing at his tires, and dan standing on the hood...

glad you survived to tell the story. i too recently had a brush with tippiness and had visions on losing a truck and/or good health, i understand your feelings.

i look forward to sharing a brew and hearing the heartstopping details...

#377620 - 30/07/04 09:01 PM Re: Thanks from Spooky !!!!
spooky1 Offline

Thanks for the positive responses guys. I know there were pictures and video taken. I only have a few pics taken after the initial winching effort when I knew I was safe, but the truck was still in jeopardy. I will try and post them later. smile

"Duct tape is like the Force: It has a dark side and a light side - and it holds the universe together."

#377621 - 30/07/04 10:03 PM Re: Thanks from Spooky !!!!
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
So you're saying that situation was a little "spooky?" [Laughing]

Thanks folks! I'll be here all week! [Wave]

#377622 - 30/07/04 10:44 PM Re: Thanks from Spooky !!!!
Biohazard Offline

Loc: Rogers AR
I'm glad everything worked out for you and your truck.

#377623 - 31/07/04 11:47 AM Re: Thanks from Spooky !!!!
Yzerman Offline

Loc: Cave Creek, AZ
Sorry to hear about the trouble you had, but I'm glad everything turned out the way it did. wink

#377624 - 31/07/04 04:40 PM Re: Thanks from Spooky !!!!
MaloCS Offline

Spooky,

I'm glad you made it home safe and sound. [ThumbsUp] Hopefully we can hook up and wheel some more in the future.

I would love to attend one of your Arizona events in the near future. Maybe in the winter since I don't think I could handle your summer heat. smile

PS - Keep an eye out for the two Dan's and Travis. They left Ouray this morning (Saturday) and should be back in town late this evening.

#377625 - 31/07/04 09:02 PM Re: Thanks from Spooky !!!!
spooky1 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MaloCS:
Spooky,

I'm glad you made it home safe and sound. [ThumbsUp] Hopefully we can hook up and wheel some more in the future.

I would love to attend one of your Arizona events in the near future. Maybe in the winter since I don't think I could handle your summer heat. smile

PS - Keep an eye out for the two Dan's and Travis. They left Ouray this morning (Saturday) and should be back in town late this evening.
Danimal just called me. Everyone is back home safe.

#377626 - 02/08/04 09:38 PM Re: Thanks from Spooky !!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ryan,

Happy to hear you got home safe! Although I was sorry to see you go, I can understand your reasons. I'm just happy we were able to save you and your truck. I certainly didn't want to have to use any of my work skills on the trip! I hope you can come back out and run some of the great trails you missed at the end of the week! Take care of yourself and your family in the mean time!

Nate.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal