shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#377771 - 08/08/04 10:17 PM Another accident in Ouray
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Still no final word but it sounds like 2 dead and 2 injured when a Cherokee went off the upper shelf section of Imogene Pass on the Ouray side.

Those who attended the last day at GOX can attest to how crowded it was up there on that section.

#377772 - 09/08/04 12:19 AM Re: Another accident in Ouray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Holy Crapinski. Colorado is going to either get a bad name from the last 4 deaths, or we'll get every redneck from the west wanting to come tame the 'deadly trails'.

Sorry for the families. My sympathies are with them.

#377773 - 09/08/04 05:54 AM Re: Another accident in Ouray
chupasierras Offline

Loc: Monterrey, M�xico
... and GOX format changed because people complained about Ouray trails were easy. May be are easy, but danger it´s always watching.

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#377774 - 09/08/04 07:17 AM Re: Another accident in Ouray
chupasierras Offline

Just found the news about this: READ HERE

Quote:
Couple Dies After Jeep Rolls Off Mountain Pass Road
2 Boys Injured In Accident Near Telluride

POSTED: 6:39 am MDT August 9, 2004

DENVER -- A Colorado Springs couple was killed and two young boys were seriously injured in a weekend accident on a narrow mountain road.

Daniel Gluklick, 50, and his wife Jeanine, 47, died after their Jeep Grand Cherokee rolled at least 800 feet down a mountain at Imogene Pass on Saturday, said Sgt. Lawrence Oletski said. The pass near Telluride is at 12,000 feet.

Their son Cole Gluklick, 11, and friend Ian Nordstrom, 7, were injured. No one was wearing a seat belt and all four were thrown from the vehicle.

The Jeep had pulled over to let another car pass. When it attempted to get back on the road, the Jeep drove on some rocks which lifted one side of the vehicle. The Jeep then rolled off the embankment.

"There was just too much of a shift to one side," Oletski said.

The couple is survived by two teenage daughters.

Daniel Gluklick, who did classified work for the military, was an experienced trail rider, according to his father, Edward Gluklick.

Jeanine Gluklick ran a day-care center at their home and she had taken care of Nordstrom since he was a baby, neighbor Cindy Sabol said.

Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#377775 - 09/08/04 08:50 AM Re: Another accident in Ouray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hope this doesn't signal trail closures, or almost as bad, trail "improvements".

#377776 - 09/08/04 08:57 AM Re: Another accident in Ouray
eoddvr Offline

Loc: Millersville MD
I wonder if not being buckled in was a factor?

#377777 - 09/08/04 09:15 AM Re: Another accident in Ouray
Steel_City_X Offline

Loc: Pueblo, CO
I too saw this article and realized that it is too easy for people to take their SUV out into the backcountry.

Based on the driving that we saw on Taylor Pass, both the idiots on the Cherokee and the Toyota and the Exploder that should not have been on the road, I feel that there will be more.

Either a BIG public education is neded, or some trails could be restricted.

Todd
First Xterra IFS or SAS up Moab Rim...#2 up Mt. Blanca.
African Adventure pictures....
http://homepage.mac.com/ahlenius/

#377778 - 09/08/04 10:46 AM Re: Another accident in Ouray
lemsip Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
On one of the trails round here, they put a rock obstacle right at the beginning of the trail, so that only those capable of navigating the trail could even begin it. Plenty of people complain about it though.

#377779 - 09/08/04 11:12 AM Re: Another accident in Ouray
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by lemsip:
On one of the trails round here, they put a rock obstacle right at the beginning of the trail, so that only those capable of navigating the trail could even begin it. Plenty of people complain about it though.
Lemsip,

Altering trails to make them more difficult has created more issues than it solves. This type of thing has been done on the Rubicon and local mountain trails in So Cal. What ends up happening is public opinion swings further against the responsible 4WD community. Many times altering trails leads to greater erosion and other problems. Public lands should not be altered for a select few. If the trail is difficult (such as the Hammers in So Cal) then it should be posted as such and folks should proceed at their own peril.
The auto manufactures need to do a better job at educating customers how to use their vehicles. Jeep and Land Rover are about the only companies that do anything even resembling off road education. More often than not, the sales rep that hands the keys to the new owner doesn’t even know how to use 4WD.

-Doug

#377780 - 09/08/04 11:27 AM Re: Another accident in Ouray
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Quote:
Originally posted by eoddvr:
I wonder if not being buckled in was a factor?
Opinions differ, but several guys I know prefer being unbuckled in mountains so they have a better chance bailing out if it appears they might fall off a cliff. I'm not about to haul my fat ass out the window fast enough for it to matter, so I buckle in.

#377781 - 09/08/04 01:20 PM Re: Another accident in Ouray
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
"Experienced trail leader" my ass, not buckling up negates that...

Unless you're in something without doors, you're not going to be able to "bail out" even with your seatbelt off. There either won't be time to do so, you'll be on the downhill side where it's gonna fall on you, or on the uphill side where you can't even get the door open to get out without a tremendous effort.

Wear your goddamn seatbelts!

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#377782 - 09/08/04 01:39 PM Re: Another accident in Ouray
XOC Offline
Admin

Go fuck yourself Brent, you don't know him.

Just an FYI, I rarely wear my seatbelt off-road. It limits my movement and visibility.
I put it on if there is a chance of a roll and it could be survivable. Driving off a 1000 foot shelf road is not survivable.

#377783 - 09/08/04 02:19 PM Re: Another accident in Ouray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Off road, I typically only wear mine in extreme off camber situations or on gnarly hill climbs where a roll over is possible. Otherwise I'm with Ian...I'm normally wheeling at under 5mph in the rocks and prefer the mobility...at least until I could get some proper adjustable 5 pt harnesses - the Nissan belt just gets tighter and tigher until you find you can't breathe anymore.

As for these people not wearing belts....after an 800 ft roll I doubt there was anything left of the vehicle...think of it as being strapped into a beer can...if someone stomps the can flat, whether you're belted in or not, you're still gonna get crushed.

#377784 - 09/08/04 02:56 PM Re: Another accident in Ouray
chupasierras Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
"Experienced trail leader"
"Experienced trail rider"

Another note in rockymountainnews.com

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#377785 - 09/08/04 03:06 PM Re: Another accident in Ouray
XOC Offline
Admin

I'm still curious about the location. The report said he let a Subaru pass by, and a Subaru is incapable of driving Imogene Pass on the Ouray side.

I'm thinking they went off on Camp Bird Road prior to Imogene.

#377786 - 09/08/04 03:34 PM Re: Another accident in Ouray
BradLee Offline

Loc: Black Hills
Now I respect everyones opinion, but to me if I am going to roll 1000ft, I will take the chance of getting ejected and MAYBE living through it.

#377787 - 09/08/04 03:58 PM Re: Another accident in Ouray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
I'm still curious about the location. The report said he let a Subaru pass by, and a Subaru is incapable of driving Imogene Pass on the Ouray side.

I'm thinking they went off on Camp Bird Road prior to Imogene.
The only place I can thick of where a 1000 ft drop and a subura could go is near were we passed the VW Tourag(spelling)

#377788 - 09/08/04 04:43 PM Re: Another accident in Ouray
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric P.:
The only place I can thick of where a 1000 ft drop and a subura could go is near were we passed the VW Tourag(spelling)
Wrong side of Imogene though...

#377789 - 10/08/04 01:29 PM Re: Another accident in Ouray
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I don't wear my belt during most 'wheeling either, but I definitely put it on when there's more than a random risk of going over.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#377790 - 10/08/04 02:35 PM Re: Another accident in Ouray
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
I don't wear my belt during most 'wheeling either, but I definitely put it on when there's more than a random risk of going over.
They were on a flat road that cars drive on.

I don't buy the "drove on some rocks and tipped over" thing one bit.

#377791 - 12/08/04 09:06 AM Re: Another accident in Ouray
Uzbad Offline

Loc: Durango, CO
Well its been nutty around there lately. And Silverton area isnt any better - last week we seen dude on ATV falling off(!) the trail about 100 ft away from place where Cinnamon Pass Trail and North Fork Cutoff (lead to Engineer Pass Trail) joining and descending to Animas Forks. Ambulance, rescuers and sheriff were on their way..

Go figure..

#377792 - 12/08/04 06:18 PM Re: Another accident in Ouray
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Go fuck yourself Brent, you don't know him.

Just an FYI, I rarely wear my seatbelt off-road. It limits my movement and visibility.
I put it on if there is a chance of a roll and it could be survivable. Driving off a 1000 foot shelf road is not survivable.
Same for me!

-Rick

#377793 - 14/08/04 10:06 PM Re: Another accident in Ouray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Link to picture showing crash site

Remains of Jeep

No seat belt would have helped.

#377794 - 14/08/04 10:22 PM Re: Another accident in Ouray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric P.:
Link to picture showing crash site

Remains of Jeep

No seat belt would have helped.
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /forum/attachment.php on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.27 Server at www.pirate4x4.com Port 80

#377795 - 15/08/04 06:59 AM Re: Another accident in Ouray
Anonymous
Unregistered

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal