shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#377839 - 11/06/04 10:14 AM GOX Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doesn’t seem to be anything new in this thread for quite a while. It seems like I saw another one somewhere where there was quite a bit of discussion on the different trails, which ones you should avoid if you didn’t want to “break things”, camping areas, places you could hook up if you could not make the entire trek, etc… I did several searches, but could not find it again, so if anyone could redirect me – please do. In the mean time I’ve got a couple of questions.

1. Just bought an ’04 4X4 SE, while I don’t mind getting it dirty or maybe a scratch here and there, I really don’t want to break anything – is GOX not for me? I’ve read where a lot of stock X’s have made the journey…

2. What are the costs associated with this trip outside of gas, beer, food, etc… in other words are the trail runs free, or do they cost? Camp sites? Is there a cost associated with attending GOX, if so what is it. I know that I would need to install sliders before I would go, but just trying to get an estimate of what the trip would cost (new Xterra’s come with new truck payments…)

BTW - I’ve done a couple of forest access roads in Colorado, and some primitive roads in Big Bend NP with my old Xterra, other than that I’m pretty much a newbie, so sorry if these seem to be dumb questions.

#377840 - 11/06/04 10:30 AM Re: GOX Questions
Paul H Offline

Loc: Mt. Zion, IL
Here is the basic requirements site...

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/gox/event.php#req

Trails are free to run but you need some mods to go...

#377841 - 11/06/04 10:37 AM Re: GOX Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

This GOX is a totally different path from past GOXs. From Denver to Ouray on the divide.

Basic Requirements: If you do not have these you will not be allowed.

31" or larger AT or MT tires (factory BFG Rugged Trails are acceptable, Long Trails are not)
Front tow point
Rock Sliders

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:

Suspension lift
Armor - Skid plates
Locker(s)
Low range gears (for 5 -speeds)
Rear tow point
Aftermarket steering (if lifted)

ITEMS NOT ALLOWED: Repeat NOT allowed

Cosmetic grill guards (Waag, GoRhino, Westin, Manik, etc.)
Factory step rails
Street tires

Most/maybe all of the campsites will be in the National Forest.

Check here for complete details. Click here

#377842 - 11/06/04 11:18 AM Re: GOX Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I certainly would meet the minimum requirements - all I would need to do is remove the factory step rails (and mud flaps) and install the rock sliders, which I might be able to swing before the end of July. However I probably would not be able to do any of the highly recommended mods (except maybe a rear tow point). Are the highly recommended mods a way of saying - you really shouldn't go if you don't have them?

Any $$ for camping in a National Forest?

#377843 - 11/06/04 12:13 PM Re: GOX Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

FREE

#377844 - 11/06/04 01:26 PM Re: GOX Questions
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Read the entire site, it explains fully if this is a trip for you.

Those wishing to attend GOX - Colorado Crossing must have a 4WD Xterra and driving skills capable of handling trails rated up to 8 out of a 10 scale. If you've never driven over rocks like the ones on the left, or along narrow shelf roads with 1000 foot drops (above), this trip is not for you.

If you have only driven access roads then GOX is most likely not where you would want to learn 4 wheeling techniques.

We are on a very tight schedule for 7 days and I don't want any delays helping people over obstacles.

#377845 - 11/06/04 07:59 PM Re: GOX Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I’ve read the entire site several times – which is why I was interested, and actually the forest access roads I was on were very similar to the pictures you are referring to – which is the only reason I would even consider it. However… I was only on them for a few hours, not 7 days, which is a very good point. I would not want to hold anybody up. Besides, it would probably be best to wait until I was at the point that I didn’t mind denting my truck up a bit anyway, it’s to new for now. Anyway, thanks for everyone’s input – Have Fun! Maybe I’ll make it next year.

#377846 - 12/06/04 03:56 AM Re: GOX Questions
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by emarak:
I’ve read the entire site several times – which is why I was interested, and actually the forest access roads I was on were very similar to the pictures you are referring to – which is the only reason I would even consider it.
Then sign up.

You said "forest access" and "newbie", and I don't know of any newbies who would be driving trails like this, or any forest access trails of this difficulty.

I've driven them in an Xterra with the minimum requirements, but I've been 4 wheeling for a long time.

#377847 - 12/06/04 06:24 AM Re: GOX Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Emarak, you need to just sign up and go. My trip to goneMoab was the first of its kind for me and it was a great time. Sure I had some questions if I could handle the trails, but the groups of people were very helpful it was a great time. My only regret is that I was not able to stay for the whole thing, you know marriage=compromise. This time I would love to stay for the trip although it looks like once again I will have to "compromise" and only do part of it.

There is a warning, you won’t be able to stop once you start. You will pine away for the next "adventure".

#377848 - 12/06/04 06:35 AM Re: GOX Questions
XOC Offline
Admin

One note though is that the group will not be stopping to help spot people, or near stock Xterras, over obstacles that an experienced driver can handle. Big obstacles yes, but not the majority. We will be on a very tight timeline and I can't allow anyone to slow down the group.

#377849 - 12/06/04 07:04 AM Re: GOX Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
One note though is that the group will not be stopping to help spot people, or near stock Xterras, over obstacles that an experienced driver can handle. Big obstacles yes, but not the majority. We will be on a very tight timeline and I can't allow anyone to slow down the group.
Well taken, and this is one way a person gains experience, working through a problem or obstacle.

#377850 - 12/06/04 08:09 AM Re: GOX Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ian, I do consider myself a newbie when it comes to this, and while I have driven over “some” obstacles as pictured… not very many, and they have been for very short parts of the trail, say 10-15 yards of the obstacle – not 7 days worth. I probably was not very smart about it either, I bought my first Xterra in May of ’99 and within two weeks had it dented, scratched up and cover in mud. I would like to wait a little while longer before doing that to this one, so I am taking your advice to heart (along with the fact that I have not been wheeling in about 3 years). I love that you guys do this type of thing and glad that there is an organized group that does it - which I can hopefully be a part of. Please keep that in mind when people like me have questions. I’m sure there are others out there that do not have super modified Xterras that have interest in this sort of thing (that’s why we bought 4X4 Xterras in the first place). We are looking to you guys for advice and experience. I fully understand about this years GOX and the fact that it was made more challenging than in the past, that is your call – you set the whole thing up. I guess I just wish there would have been an easier way of giving me advice than to say “One note though is that the group will not be stopping to help spot people, or near stock Xterras, over obstacles that an experienced driver can handle.” Kind of sounds a little elitist… I guess it should not bother me though, I’ve read a lot of the forums on the site, and sometimes things can get pretty “interesting”. Seriously though, I do thank you for the input, you’ve answered every question I had and helped me with my decision. I fully support what you guys are doing on this site and hope everyone going to GOX this year has a great time.

#377851 - 13/06/04 03:12 AM Re: GOX Questions
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Kind of sounds a little elitist…
How exactly should I phrase it then ?

GOX is different this year, it's for experienced drivers only with well built Xterras.

Every year at every event I host I meet people who claim to have off-road driving experience, and they don't. I'm then stuck with people interfering with my events, and delaying my events and other drivers because they lied about their abilities.

It's not elitist, I'm just looking for people who are honest about their driving skills, and if they cause problems, they will be asked to leave.

#377852 - 13/06/04 08:08 AM Re: GOX Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Understood [ThumbsUp]

#377853 - 09/07/04 06:22 AM Re: GOX Questions
mikeh Offline

Loc: Austin
Quote:
Ian, I do consider myself a newbie when it comes to this, and while I have driven over “some” obstacles as pictured… not very many, and they have been for very short parts of the trail, say 10-15 yards of the obstacle – not 7 days worth. I probably was not very smart about it either, I bought my first Xterra in May of ’99 and within two weeks had it dented, scratched up and cover in mud. I would like to wait a little while longer before doing that to this one, so I am taking your advice to heart (along with the fact that I have not been wheeling in about 3 years). I love that you guys do this type of thing and glad that there is an organized group that does it - which I can hopefully be a part of. Please keep that in mind when people like me have questions. I’m sure there are others out there that do not have super modified Xterras that have interest in this sort of thing (that’s why we bought 4X4 Xterras in the first place). We are looking to you guys for advice and experience. I fully understand about this years GOX and the fact that it was made more challenging than in the past, that is your call – you set the whole thing up. I guess I just wish there would have been an easier way of giving me advice than to say “One note though is that the group will not be stopping to help spot people, or near stock Xterras, over obstacles that an experienced driver can handle.” Kind of sounds a little elitist… I guess it should not bother me though, I’ve read a lot of the forums on the site, and sometimes things can get pretty “interesting”. Seriously though, I do thank you for the input, you’ve answered every question I had and helped me with my decision. I fully support what you guys are doing on this site and hope everyone going to GOX this year has a great time.
Emark,

I notice your in Texas. have you driven any of the trails out here?
Like The Den in San Antonio? If you never off road w/a group this challenge in Colorado will be a little more then you are expecting. I do know if you go you will not just get scratches, but more like dings. Colorado is very rewarding if you go, but I think these GOX boys are a little more then your expecting to hang with. If I was you, I say practice and take some trails out there in TX and also travel w/ a cool group of other off roaders so they can SPOT you. Since Ian states that there going to be on a schedule to meet he is basically saying that their may not be a Spotter.

Even myself I always feel for a need here and there for a spotter.

but either way its your SUV. smile

#377854 - 09/07/04 10:23 AM Re: GOX Questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the advice. After reading several more posts here on the forum, I agree that I am not ready for GOX. Another thing I read was that the obsticals always seem more difficult in real life than the do in pictures. After reading that post, I realize that the obsticals I've driven over may have seemed a lot more difficult than they actually were. As far as wheeling in TX goes, no I have not been to any serious 4WD areas, mostly just stuff I have found on my own and a couple of back roads in Colorado. I am about 40 miles north of Dallas, so SA would be about a 5 or 6 hour drive for me, know of any trails in the North Texas area I could try?

#377855 - 09/07/04 01:24 PM Re: GOX Questions
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
Emarac, check out SWXC.org forum and website. We ride all over Texas. Our favorite is Barnwell mountain in Gilmer. That is about 2 1/2 hours from you and there is usually a caravan from Dallas area.

Contact me direct if you wish... and yes I am going to GOX again smile

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal