shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 8 of 16 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#379935 - 17/10/07 02:09 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Coop Offline

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
I think Frank's bad wrap came from not being able to do it with his players. He inherited a top 10 program and after those players left, well, you know the rest of the story. Talent's never been an issue at Nebraska. They actually have a lot of talent this year... just look at the top recruiting classes from 2004 on. It's all about the X's and O's and Calahan is the one that's not getting it done (yet, they gave him an extension at the beginning of the year for being average [Freak] ). Just look at Boise State, South Florida, BC, etc... you can win without talent. If you have talent, there's really no excuse. Maybe that's on the AD for highering him, keeping him, giving him an extension, etc... but I say it's more on the coach than the AD. Just my 2 cents.
That is where frank gets his bad rap, no doubt. But looking at it logically it was his 5th year, and initially you have to expect some sort of letdown in recruiting when a coach like Osborne leaves. I think we were seeing that lull at that point, and things had picked back up. You look at the guys playing in the NFL now, with a competent coaching staff, you have to wonder what might have been. There were also other internal issues with some long time assistants which were corrected in Solich's final year there...

The only point I'm making is saying that Solich's hire was a mistake isn't something I totally buy. Teams can go down the tube a lot quicker than they did with him if you truly have a guy who can't coach well. We had a rough year in 2002, (but not nearly as bad as we've seen since) and it seems rough years go around like the flu in college football.

We were spoiled, hired an over-zealous AD who had the intention to make his mark on the program, and mistakes were made. Now Osborne is going to attempt to start to fix them... I'd take him over just about anyone else to handle this problem.

#379936 - 17/10/07 02:25 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
I play in a fantasy football league with all Huskers and here's a response to the TO hiring that you might find interesting:
Quote:
That don't mean shit (Re: TO hiring). It's what he does that matters. Frank Solich, Dave Gillespe, Steve Pedersen, Nelson Barnes... These are all fine examples of some of TO's "great" hirings in the past. Not to mention that exactly zero of his coaching proteges have went on to become overly successful Head Coaches at any D1 school.

All the talk about the past, and the "healing" for the fans... I fear TO will try and take NU back to the future by trying to incorporate Nebraska ties to every coaching position. That will be a colossal failure, and will set NU back even farther than it is now. If you think Frank Solich was bad, just wait.

#379937 - 18/10/07 08:50 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Well, so much for South Florida. Is BC the next Top 5 to go down when they play Virginia Tech next week? Will #1 and #2 lose in the same weekend again as Ohio State will be playing at Penn State (assuming they beat Mich. State)? Wouldn't surprise me the way this football season has gone.

#379938 - 18/10/07 08:50 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

South Florida goes down to Rutgers!

At least now I can stop hearing about their Cinderella season!

Go Bucks!

#379939 - 18/10/07 08:54 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

We don't give a damn for the whole state of michigan, the whole state of michigan, the whole state of michigan.

We don't give a damn for the whole state of michigan 'cause we're from Ohio, OH
We're from Ohio, IO
We don't give a damn for the whole state of michigan 'cause we're from Ohio!

laugh

Go Bucks!

#379940 - 20/10/07 09:59 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
Well, I'm not going to argue because I hate defending Aggy the way it is, but numbers talk. Fran is making much more than all those coaches you just named. That's right, Fran is being paid $2mil to suck ass. Not only that, but they're talking about paying the next coach $3 mil (i.e. Spurrier). eek The facilities trump them as well. It's definitely a better "job" than those 4 schools, but definitely not a better "program" than those 4 though.
It's not a better job or program than any of those 4 imo, and I don't think it's all that close, but whatever.

Ducks have a trap game tonight in Seattle. Even when that team is down that's a tough place to play. Injuries are becoming huge, especially at WR. Hope they can get through this and aren't looking ahead to USC next week.

Wonder if the domers actually cut the grass this year for the USC game? :rolleyes:

#379941 - 20/10/07 04:45 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
MidnightX Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Just chiming in to say.....

GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#379942 - 20/10/07 05:55 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Damn, we got owned again by Mizzou. I guess they're our daddy and I'm glad we don't play them next year. As for the south, nothing's really changed as we still have to beat UT and OU just like before. frown

#379943 - 20/10/07 08:13 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Close for awhile, but Oregon won 55-34. Shitload of yards, 39 first downs, and Stewart ran for 251 yards.

Get this - Oregon had 3 guys with 100 + yards rushing, and in total they rushed for 467 yards. [Huh?]

Oregon now controls their own destiny. Win out and they'll win the Pac 10 title, and be in the Rose Bowl or National Championship game. Sadly I think they'll drop at least 1 before bowl season, but I could be wrong.

Great year to be a Duck. laugh

#379944 - 21/10/07 10:01 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oregon's at 5 in the Coaches this week. Number 8 USC coming to Autzen this Saturday.

Gameday back in Eugene??? cool

#379945 - 21/10/07 02:18 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Sure, they've been to Norman so they might as well head up there to Oregon. laugh

#379946 - 21/10/07 02:35 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky:
Sure, they've been to Norman so they might as well head up there to Oregon. laugh
They were in Eugene for the Oregon-Cal game. My guess is that they won't come back for Oregon-USC, but if Oregon and Arizona State both win (currently 5 and 4 in the BCS, respectively) I'm sure they'd make a second trip for that matchup.

Oregon jumped the Sooners in the BCS standings, by the way. laugh

#379947 - 21/10/07 06:26 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
BlueSky Offline

Go ahead and get cocky and see how that works out for you. laugh

#379948 - 21/10/07 06:28 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky:
Go ahead and get cocky and see how that works out for you. laugh
Being cocky doesn't fit well with being an Oregon fan. Our opponents have a name for what more often than not happens to us...

...The Big Fade...

mad

#379949 - 21/10/07 07:21 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

KU...

7-0...

WTF?

#379950 - 21/10/07 10:07 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightX:
Just chiming in to say.....

GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was a great game... too bad the Wildcats lost. Tim Tebow is a badass... as a fan of college football, it was a lot of fun watching him play, even though it was at UK's expense.
frown

#379951 - 22/10/07 02:44 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
MidnightX Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Presenting....

...the first item of clothing I've ever made!

Just in time for Florida/Georgia weekend!

#379952 - 22/10/07 05:04 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
BlueSky Offline

Is that for Tim Tebow to wear to the pre-game festivities? laugh

Seriously, it's cute. Knowing this board, I'm sure a shot of you modeling it would be a hit.

ETA: PNWBeers, looking at Oregon's upcoming schedule, we'll see what they're made of soon enough. Since UCLA & Oregon St. beat Cal, who beat Oregon, hope the Ducks don't get caught looking ahead to the Bruins and Beavers with USC and Arizona State next on their dance card. laugh

#379953 - 25/10/07 07:19 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

3Q now...

...So, BC is the second best team in the country? :rolleyes:

#379954 - 25/10/07 07:59 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
3Q now...

...So, BC is the second best team in the country? :rolleyes:

#379955 - 25/10/07 08:56 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Ugh. They fucking escaped. What an ugly game.

Here's to JoePa and co. upsetting OSU this weekend! [ThumbsUp] :FUCK"THE"OHIOSTATEUNIVERSITY!:

#379956 - 27/10/07 10:57 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Big one coming up soon - USC at Oregon. That defense scares the crap out of me, but what the hell. If Oregon limits turnovers and gets the early lead they've got a good shot in this one. If not, well, it's been a hell of a ride so far.

[drink]

#379957 - 02/11/07 07:30 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
Big one coming up soon - USC at Oregon. That defense scares the crap out of me, but what the hell. If Oregon limits turnovers and gets the early lead they've got a good shot in this one. If not, well, it's been a hell of a ride so far.

[drink]
USC - CHECK! We got a little too conservative there at at the end of that one, but still took care of business. eek [drink]

ASU: Gonna be tough, but the Ducks should take 'em down if they play smart. [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

I'm moving my entire work schedule to Sunday so I can focus on the game. laugh

#379958 - 02/11/07 06:58 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

GO BUCKS!

#379959 - 03/11/07 06:12 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

4 v. 5 today in Autzen, Gameday back for the second time, Oregon favored...

...hope we don't fuck it up. [Uh Oh !]

ASU's defense matches up against us fairly well, actually. Both DE's have good speed and that could hurt the option, and they have a very talented and fast LB that's leading the team in tackles. Unlike USC, the entire front 7 isn't NFL caliber (no, I'm not exaggerating at all - those fuckers are incredible), so if we don't turn the ball over I like our chances in this one.

Best sign from last week: "No Trojan can hold our Dixon." laugh

Page 8 of 16 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal