shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 14 of 16 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#380085 - 30/11/07 11:52 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky:
Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by JMo:
[b]Funny, that's how OU got most of its fans, the bandwagon.
[LOL]

Damn - I'm actually kinda sorta pulling for OU this weekend either (I need a shower). Don't get me wrong - the Sooners represent all that has ever been wrong with college football. I just don't want a Big 12 team in the national championship game.[/b]
And your teams represent all that's pure and holy about college football, right? :rolleyes:

Don't blame OU for your teams' failure to establish a winning tradition.[/b]
Oregon absolutely sucked at football until the early '90s. Since then they've been ranked in the top 5 several times, have beaten numerous "traditional" national power teams on the field, were wrongfully snubbed from a national title game appearance, and have developed some of the finest football facilties in the country. Right now Oregon's football program can legitimately be considered one of the top 15 or 20 overall programs in the nation. That's a hell of a lot to accomplish in a very short period of time, and Oregon's done it while running a pretty damn clean program.

OU's progam, both in the distant past and more recently, is among the dirtiest in college football. The Sooners have done a ton on the field and I'm not going to diminish that, but the way they've gotten there has left a lot to be desired.

Fuck it.

Go Tigers. [ThumbsUp]

#380086 - 30/11/07 12:00 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
[Sleep]

PNWBeers, you know, part of my disappointment at the Sooners blowing their title hopes this year is that had they won it, I would have gotten to see you tied up in a nice big knot. laugh

#380087 - 30/11/07 01:41 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
Quote:
Since then they've ... developed some of the finest football facilties in the country. Right now Oregon's football program can legitimately be considered one of the top 15 or 20 overall programs in the nation. That's a hell of a lot to accomplish in a very short period of time, and Oregon's done it while running a pretty damn clean program.

Helps to have Uncle Phil Knight underwriting your program and your funky uniforms... laugh

#380088 - 30/11/07 04:56 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
Quote:
[b]I just don't want a Big 12 team in the national championship game.
Are you serious with this? The Big 12 was one of the best conferences this year and at least Mizzou would "earn" a shot at the mNC as oppose to that Big 10 school backing their way into it.[/b]
The only reason Mizz or WVU even has a shot is because somebody else lost so you can take your back in comment and shove it up your ass. The only reason the big 12 is even considered is because everyone else lost. That is how high the big 12 north is regarded. Ohio State still won their conference.

#380089 - 30/11/07 05:59 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Timmah:
The only reason Mizz or WVU even has a shot is because somebody else lost so you can take your back in comment and shove it up your ass. The only reason the big 12 is even considered is because everyone else lost. That is how high the big 12 north is regarded. Ohio State still won their conference.
Ohio State is #3 because everyone else lost. And what's your point about the Big XII North? They regard it very high because out of all the 1-loss teams, they chose the Big XII north winner to be ranked #1? [Freak]

#380090 - 30/11/07 06:21 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mizz lost earlier than WVU. That's it. It's no love-fest for the Big 12 North. In fact Oklahoma is favored. Hopefully things correct like they did with Kansas losing.

There are no undefeated teams in contention. Hawaii is undefeated but don't belong to a BCS conference so that is their story. Everyone in the picture has lost. "Backing in" at this point is obvious but it doesn't mean they don't deserve to be there.

#380091 - 01/12/07 06:37 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Mizz lost earlier than WVU. That's it. It's no love-fest for the Big 12 North. In fact Oklahoma is favored. Hopefully things correct like they did with Kansas losing.

There are no undefeated teams in contention. Hawaii is undefeated but don't belong to a BCS conference so that is their story. Everyone in the picture has lost. "Backing in" at this point is obvious but it doesn't mean they don't deserve to be there.
Agree that there's no love-fest with the Big 12 north (or south for that matter - not a good conference this year.) The big factor in play is the timing of the loss, though I think the Big 12 is generally still regarded as somewhat better than the Big East (maybe not a valid assumption this year.)

On a side note, the reason we're looking at a Big 12 team versus a Big East team (or perhaps a Big 10 team) for the big game is that these teams had very manageable conferences to deal with this year. There's no way in hell WVU, Mizzou, or tOSU would have run through the Pac 10 (where you play everybody) or SEC with one loss. Not fair, but since when has college football been fair.

I love bowl games, but at times like these I really do think a playoff would be best. Frankly if we ignore resumes and just look at who the two best teams are at this point in the year, I think we'd have a USC-Georgia/LSU national title game.

#380092 - 01/12/07 07:24 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://rgweb-c.registerguard.com/blogs/index.php/duckfb/comments/remembering_a_special_kid/

On a more somber note, the above link is regarding an Oregon commit who was murdered 4 years ago just before he left for Eugene. It would have been senior day for him today, and he going to be honored with the rest of the seniors at Autzen. Puts all this debate in perspective, I guess.

RIP Terrance.

#380093 - 01/12/07 08:57 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Bye-bye, West Virginia. Adios, Missouri. [Wave]

LSU and Ohio State? Fuck. [ThumbsDown]

#380094 - 01/12/07 09:27 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
Originally posted by Origami Gangsta:
Bye-bye, West Virginia. Adios, Missouri. [Wave]

I seriously doubt it will be OSU and LSU. OSU is in, pretty much guaranteed.

Virginia Tech is ranked higher than LSU in the BCS - and had a more convincing win over a higher ranked opponent. Virginia Tech should get it before LSU does.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#380095 - 01/12/07 09:27 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Yup, college football is now moving down on my favorite sports list. This BCS system is a joke to all fans. How can they logically pick the best 2 teams out of this mess? tOSU played noboby and has no Conference Championship Game. LSU, Virginia Tech, OU and USC all legitimately have won their conference, but have 2 losses. KU and Georgia are high on the list, but didn't play in their CCG (and KU still hasn't played anybody except their only loss).

We as fans need to not watch any of the bowl games except for the one that has your team in it. We need to make a statement in the ratings. (pipe dream)

#380096 - 01/12/07 10:02 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

YES!!

BOOHOOMER SOONER!!!

Yeah, CFB this year is truly fucked up.

#380097 - 01/12/07 10:05 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
has no Conference Championship Game.
PS - conference championship game = WAY easier than a round robin schedule. FYI... wink

#380098 - 01/12/07 10:27 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Conferences with a Championship Game chose to chase the all mighty dollar. I know for the SEC championship school not even in the game get a million dollars. You can cry me a river if your team loses it's CCG.

You need 12 teams to have a CCG. Obviously not all conferences have that the required number of teams.

Personally, I'd rather teams go to 10 team conferences and see a round robin with 2-3 OOC games against rival conferences. CCG games just allows weak teams (Kansas and Mizz for example) to be in the National picture due to extremely weak SOS.

#380099 - 02/12/07 12:47 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
I just scared the crap out of my co-workers as I ran down the corridor yelling "Hawaii won! Hawaii won!" Not something they'd expect at 12:30am. Lol.

After UH fell behind 21-0, my stomach started aching. Ok, so they aren't a national powerhouse and Colt Brennan probably won't even be invited to New York for the Heisman presentation, but it's sure been fun watching them.

#380100 - 02/12/07 03:25 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
BlueSky Offline

Quote:
http://rgweb-c.registerguard.com/blogs/index.php/duckfb/comments/remembering_a_ special_kid/

On a more somber note, the above link is regarding an Oregon commit who was murdered 4 years ago just before he left for Eugene. It would have been senior day for him today, and he going to be honored with the rest of the seniors at Autzen. Puts all this debate in perspective, I guess.

RIP Terrance.
Good story, thanks for sharing. I chose to quote this post rather than your asinine pic above since I hope it better reflects your true character. I hope. :rolleyes:

Anyway, tough loss for Oregon (that somehow escaped your mention)...one thing I can't understand (aside from silver ghost flames on a yellow helmet) is why they didn't just spike the ball on 2nd down to stop the clock just before the missed FG. The kicking team could have set up at their leisure. By the time OT started I was flipping back and forth to the OU telecast but caught a clip of the Oregon coach appearing to tell the QB to spike the ball just before the missed FG. Any insight on what happened?

BTW, I'd love nothing more than to give you some heavy s**t about the end of Oregon's season but it wouldn't be fair. Had Dixon not been injured it would have clearly been a different story. Still, your turn to pOUt. You deserved that one at least. laugh

Glad you seem to have Hillaried back over to Sooner Nation for the Big 12 championship...and that OU came through for you by dominating the "#1 team" from opening whistle to final gun. [Smoking]

In the end, though, you won't hear me saying the Sooners deserve to go to the championship game. My wife and I both agree with (and respect) the point of view given by OU LB Curtis Lofton. From ESPN :

==
Lofton is one of the few Sooners who eyed his team's situation coldly. Asked to explain why Oklahoma should reach the Allstate BCS Championship Game, Lofton said, "I can't really make the case. We controlled our destiny a couple of weeks ago, and we didn't seal the deal. I'll be happy wherever they put us. If they put us there, great. If not, we'll be happy where we go."
==

Well said. [ThumbsUp]

#380101 - 02/12/07 07:53 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky:
one thing I can't understand (aside from silver ghost flames on a yellow helmet) is why they didn't just spike the ball on 2nd down to stop the clock just before the missed FG.
The kicker didn't understand that the ball was going to be spiked. Bellotti told them to spike it and that's what they started to do when the kicker panicked and got them to try for the kick. Tough loss, but they made a better showing than I expected. The 5th string fosh QB had two TDs and a true frosh safety that only started playing two weeks ago (when he was moved from defense to offense for the first time) was the leading receiver. Can't really complain about the loss when the cupboard is that bare.

Nice game by the sooners last night, and ... Pitt?

Is "clusterfuck" the correct spelling?

#380102 - 02/12/07 08:07 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
Quote:
Originally posted by Origami Gangsta:
[b]Bye-bye, West Virginia. Adios, Missouri. [Wave]

I seriously doubt it will be OSU and LSU. OSU is in, pretty much guaranteed.

Virginia Tech is ranked higher than LSU in the BCS - and had a more convincing win over a higher ranked opponent. Virginia Tech should get it before LSU does.[/b]
Regardless, it's Ohio St. that I don't want to see. They haven't played a game the last couple of weeks, and that's chickenshit to me. I just don't want to see them there only to get blown out by 30, again.

Forgot to mention: How can we honestly put VT ahead of LSU? Didn't LSU beat them by 40?

I say Hawaii and Kansas. Offensive showdown of the decade!
laugh

#380103 - 02/12/07 08:57 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Personally, I'd like to see LSU get the bid. The SEC hasn't had a stellar OOC schedule this year and frankly I think they are overrated this year.

BCS I think VT gets the nod due to being higher in the BCS the week prior and beating a higher ranked opponent.

#380104 - 02/12/07 09:07 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
Conferences with a Championship Game chose to chase the all mighty dollar. I know for the SEC championship school not even in the game get a million dollars. You can cry me a river if your team loses it's CCG.

You need 12 teams to have a CCG. Obviously not all conferences have that the required number of teams.

Personally, I'd rather teams go to 10 team conferences and see a round robin with 2-3 OOC games against rival conferences. CCG games just allows weak teams (Kansas and Mizz for example) to be in the National picture due to extremely weak SOS.
Obviously money's involved, but when you don't play all the teams in your conference, it's the only fair way to determine who the conference champion is. Either all the conferences need to have one or they all don't. Since the majority of them do, it'll be easier for those that don't to adapt them. The Big 10+1 needs to add Notre Dame, btw.

College football is just so screwed up right now, the BCS and NCAA are really screwing their fans every year and nobody will do anything about it. [ThumbsDown]

#380105 - 02/12/07 09:40 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Since the majority of them do, it'll be easier for those that don't to adapt them.
That's not going to happen. Not only is the Pac 10 commissioner and all the universty presidents against expansion, there simply aren't two viable candidates on the west coast to include.

I'd also echo the sentiment above that a 10 team conference is a superior configuration. Everybody plays everybody - it makes for a brutal schedule, but it eliminates the paper lions like Kansas. Besides, I don't want to give up any games against the other 9 Pac 10 teams - getting to play everybody is a big reason I love the conference so much.

Same deal in basketball - there's no other conference with as good a schedule. Games are on Thursday and Saturday (occasionally Sunday), and the travel pairs are sweet. For those that don't know, the natrual pairs in essence travel "together" for games. Ie, UO plays UW and OSU plays WSU on Thurs, and they swap on Saturday. Same deal in the bay area, LA, and Arizona. One home game and one road game against every team in the conference.

Bit of a tangent, but oh well. In any event, the Pac 10 hasn't changed since 1978 when it added the Arizona schools, and I don't think any changes are on the horizon anytime soon.

Back to football - have you watched any Hawaii games this year, Nismo? They're sort of up your alley in terms of the offense they run. Though Crabtree is the standout receiver on either team, I think overall Hawaii has the superior receiving corps. Their top 4 receivers are freaking incredible. I don't think Brennan is quite the QB that Harrell has been this year, though he has been battling some injuries. I'll be very interesting in seeing how Hawaii performs in the Sugar Bowl.

#380106 - 02/12/07 10:22 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Mobycat Offline

Loc: the hue of dungeons and the sc...
Quote:
The Big 10+1 needs to add Notre Dame, btw.
Notre Dame will never join a conference. Especially if they can negotiate their own TV deal over and over.

(IF they did, I'm guessing they'd go Big East with the basketball team.)
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist

#380107 - 02/12/07 11:11 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
NismoXse02 Offline

Quote:
CCG games just allows weak teams (Kansas and Mizz for example) to be in the National picture due to extremely weak SOS.
Actually, it's worst for those teams because they'll actually most likely play a tough team. Not have a CCG allows teams like OSU to be in the National picture even with their extremely weak SOS.
Quote:
Besides, I don't want to give up any games against the other 9 Pac 10 teams - getting to play everybody is a big reason I love the conference so much.
Yeah, it's great until Oregon, UCLA and USC all finish with 1 lost where Oregon lost to UCLA who lost to USC who lost to Oregon. [Freak] And, of course, USC will get the nod and Oregon and UCLA fans will be pissed.
Quote:
Back to football - have you watched any Hawaii games this year, Nismo? They're sort of up your alley in terms of the offense they run. Though Crabtree is the standout receiver on either team, I think overall Hawaii has the superior receiving corps. Their top 4 receivers are freaking incredible. I don't think Brennan is quite the QB that Harrell has been this year, though he has been battling some injuries. I'll be very interesting in seeing how Hawaii performs in the Sugar Bowl.
Hawaii is fun to watch. You are never out it of it with our systems and I knew they could come back last night. However, they are no where even close to the same talent level at receiver or anywhere on both sides of the ball. Crabtree gets the most national attention (and rightfully so), but Amendola is also a stud... pretty close to a Wes Welker. We also have some additional young talent as well, just not quite the speciman that Crabtree is. They light up the stats when they play crappy teams as well. The closest position would be quarterback, but Harrell will show Brennan how you're supposed to play like a senior next year. [Smoking]

#380108 - 02/12/07 11:55 AM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
BlueSky Offline

No BCS yet, but the AP and USA TODAY polls are out and share the same top 5:

1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Oklahoma
4. Georgia
5. Virginia Tech

Missouri fell to #7 in one and #8 in the other.

#380109 - 02/12/07 12:05 PM Re: Official 2007 College Football Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]CCG games just allows weak teams (Kansas and Mizz for example) to be in the National picture due to extremely weak SOS.
Actually, it's worst for those teams because they'll actually most likely play a tough team. Not have a CCG allows teams like OSU to be in the National picture even with their extremely weak SOS.
[/b]

That makes no sense at all. In the Pac 10 you play every single team, meaning you'll play all of the best teams in the conference. While a Big 12 team is guaranteed a decent opponent in the championship game, that team could miss the tough teams in conference during the regular season. Like Kansas this year - no Texas and no OU. Having to play both of those teams in the regular season is tougher than just having to play one of them in the championship game.

Quote:
Hawaii is fun to watch. You are never out it of it with our systems and I knew they could come back last night. However, they are no where even close to the same talent level at receiver or anywhere on both sides of the ball. Crabtree gets the most national attention (and rightfully so), but Amendola is also a stud... pretty close to a Wes Welker. We also have some additional young talent as well, just not quite the speciman that Crabtree is. They light up the stats when they play crappy teams as well. The closest position would be quarterback, but Harrell will show Brennan how you're supposed to play like a senior next year. [Smoking]
Like I said Crabtree is a standout, but beyond him I'd give Hawaii's receivers the edge over Tech's. Just my opinion.

It's true that Hawaii didn't play a good schedule, but at 74th out of 117, Tech didn't exactly light it up either (I'll save you the trouble of looking it up - tOSU's schedule was 60th, and Oregon's schedule was 7th.)

Page 14 of 16 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal