shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#388382 - 04/12/07 05:36 PM PML
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am not the most mechanically inclined but i really want to install my PML tommorow. I installed my ARB bumper(with 2 friends holding it for me), intake, throttle body spacer. I know this is different but i read alot on it and it doesnt seem that bad. Any suggestions? [Freak]

#388383 - 05/12/07 02:16 PM Re: PML
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Doing a PML is not bad. Just read the write-ups for it and follow the instructions. The best advice for doing a PML is to spray the nuts with PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or some other penetrant. Spray it heavily, and well in advance (several days is preferable) to doing the work.

Be sure to take the weight off of the front wheels when you do the torsion bars. With respect to the torsion bar adjuster, remember that the top nut is one you need to loosen, the lower one should be welded to the frame. Just loosen the top nut so that the bolt is not locked by the two nuts, and turn the bold in. BTW, the nut should be 19mm so if you don't have a wrench that size you will need to get one.

When I did the shackles, the spring pack would not drop down enough to line up with shackle. To move it down (I was doing the job solo), I placed the factory scissor jack between the spring pack and the frame and opened the jack to drop the spring pack down.

k_enn

#388384 - 05/12/07 02:26 PM Re: PML
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by k_enn:
Doing a PML is not bad. Just read the write-ups for it and follow the instructions. The best advice for doing a PML is to spray the nuts with PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or some other penetrant. Spray it heavily, and well in advance (several days is preferable) to doing the work.

Be sure to take the weight off of the front wheels when you do the torsion bars. With respect to the torsion bar adjuster, remember that the top nut is one you need to loosen, the lower one should be welded to the frame. Just loosen the top nut so that the bolt is not locked by the two nuts, and turn the bold in. BTW, the nut should be 19mm so if you don't have a wrench that size you will need to get one.

When I did the shackles, the spring pack would not drop down enough to line up with shackle. To move it down (I was doing the job solo), I placed the factory scissor jack between the spring pack and the frame and opened the jack to drop the spring pack down.

k_enn
Both nuts are loose...none were welded that I've seen.

laugh

The top most nut IS just a lock nut, to keep the REAL adjuster nut from spinning after you're done with the adjustment, etc.

The adjuster nut itself sits in a bowl shaped washer, sitting in bowl in the a dome shaped mount on top of the cross member. (The DOME is welded to the top of the cross member, everything else is loose...)

The adjuster bolt goes up, threads first, through the adjuster finger, that bowl shaped washer, and threads into the adjuster nut...

As the adjuster bolt is threaded into the adjuster nut, the bolt head draws the adjuster finger up with it, twisting the T-Bar, which in turn twists the LCA down, lifting the truck on that corner, etc.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#388385 - 05/12/07 06:04 PM Re: PML
Anonymous
Unregistered

Take your time. Two jack and a pair of stands make the job easier and safer.

Make sure you give yourself enough time. For the rear shackles. Drop the spare and unbolt the exhaist hanger doing this gave me enough play to get the driver side shackle out.
Jay

#388386 - 05/12/07 06:21 PM Re: PML
Anonymous
Unregistered

maybe I should do the PML and my exhaust in the same day..

#388387 - 05/12/07 08:35 PM Re: PML
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do not tow anything. should i also remove the sway bar?

#388388 - 06/12/07 07:08 AM Re: PML
TJ Offline

Yes.

Take off the rear sway bar.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#388389 - 06/12/07 12:40 PM Re: PML
k_enn Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
Both nuts are loose...none were welded that I've seen.

laugh
Maybe it was not officially welded, but it was at least rusted on there beyond where the PB Blaster loosened it. I just loosened the top nut, turned the bolt in, and tightened down the top nut when I was done. I did not need a wrench on the lower nut when turning the bolt in, and the lower nut did not / would not draw down when I went to make sure it hadn't created any slack in the fastening.

YMMV

k_enn

#388390 - 06/12/07 03:27 PM Re: PML
TJ Offline

A victim of the infamous RUST WELDING under the X.

You must be using WD-40 instead of Nut Blaster.

laugh

So, Kenn, stopping by anytime soon?

#388391 - 07/12/07 09:04 AM Re: PML
k_enn Offline

Actually, I used PB Blaster for that job, usually I use Liquid Wrench. Definitely not WD 40. Nut Buster? Hmm, haven't busted a nut a little while. frown

As for getting down by you, I don't have a schedule of when I will have to be in Trenton, I figure it will probably be one between now and the holidays, and again sometime in January and/or February. We will try to do lunch when I am down, of if it is late in the day then grab a beer after work. [drink]

k_enn

#388392 - 10/12/07 08:33 AM Re: PML
TJ Offline

Sounds plan-like.

laugh

#388393 - 09/01/08 12:49 PM Re: PML
Anonymous
Unregistered

AC's shackles lifted the truck nicely.

Next is the $65 BL and 33's!!

#388394 - 09/01/08 01:52 PM Re: PML
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you take the mud flaps off you'll like how it looks..I know I did. I like your bumper..I'm jealous as my MOD money has been put on hold until I move into my new house. Truck looks good w/ the PML..don't be surprised if the front end settles a little and drops back down a tad as mine did.

#388395 - 09/01/08 06:36 PM Re: PML
Anonymous
Unregistered

Speaking of the bumper. When i decide to put the 2" BL on there is going to be an ugly gap. Does anyone know of relocation brackets made for the ARB bumper? Drill new holes? I've been thinking alot about this lately. I wish i did the BL first.

#388396 - 10/01/08 03:53 PM Re: PML
TJ Offline

Eric's right - take off the mud flaps before you break them off off road.

laugh

The ARB is really a PITA to raise for the BL, as it has wings that come back to the frame horns to brace it...which have tobe cut off, etc.

Essentially - you have to have a completely new bumper mount fabricated to raise it...I think most welding shops charge like $300 or so to do it.

That's why I like the shrocks...even mine, which was made before the BL option was available...was super easy to raise, like a 1/2 hr driveway job.

laugh

Yeah - A BL should be everyone's first mod if they think they'll EVER run larger than 32's...it makes all the subsequent mods easier...and, it allows the newbie to mount larger tires w/o a more expensive lift, etc.

Most of the people with ARB's don't bother to lift it (Some do of course), some just leave the gap, paint the window wash bottle and other stuff that shows through flat black, and cal it a day.

The others sell it on EBAY for $350 or so, and then buy a BL Shrock and a BL.

Then there's the one's with the fab equipment/skill who actually DO fab up a new bracket for it...or pay someone else to do it.

laugh

#388397 - 10/01/08 06:45 PM Re: PML
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I decide against the BL is there another way to fit 33" tires? Maybe a SL? I do not want to "trim" any parts of my truck. If that is the case I think I am going to start piecing together a SL. Any suggestions on what to use for my SL? I have the AC shackles. I want 33's by spring!

#388398 - 10/01/08 06:52 PM Re: PML
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your going to need a BL if you want to fit 33"s. The SL won't give you the clearance you need. The plastic trimming really isn't a big deal and you can always replace it if you decide you want to trade it in, sell it, etc. If you still don't want to do it just go w/ 32"s..

#388399 - 12/01/08 06:13 PM Re: PML
Anonymous
Unregistered

Trailrider: Truck looks tough. How high is the fender trim from the ground through the center of the wheel. I have a PML and yours looks way higher then where i am, maybe its just the pic.

#388400 - 12/01/08 07:36 PM Re: PML
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will measure tommorow and let you know. Thanks, it does look great though. I figured that since I just purchased the ARB and it was almost $900 to my house I will just go with 32's. I also Need more ARMOR! Any RC trips planed anytime soon? I never been there before but traveled some awsome trails up my way in NEPA.

#388401 - 15/01/08 10:05 AM Re: PML
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where about in NE philly are you. I have inlaws in North Wales area. We are down that way all the time. And a few ocasions we are near the Society Hill Towers in Philly.
Jay

#388402 - 15/01/08 01:16 PM Re: PML
Anonymous
Unregistered

im 10 minutes from the Franklin Mills Mall. In June we are going to move to the other side of the city around Villanova. I am not a fan of the city.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal