2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#391591 - 26/09/01 05:25 PM Calmini Sliders
Sc00ter Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas(But retired Cali...
Is there any plans to make the Calmini slider protrude any more? 1.5-2" would be perfect for added body protection. I could see the need to pivot about a point and would hate to take a rock in the door.

scoot

-- A typical morning at Candlewood suites.

#391592 - 27/09/01 08:44 AM Re: Calmini Sliders
calmini Offline

Loc: Bakersfield , CA
Scoot, I understand your question completely. The reason we don't extend our skids even with the "crown" of the body is we're mainly trying to protect the rocker panel and pinch weld seam below the doors. This idea has been lost though many discussions on this and other boards. You can't put it out far enough to protect in all situations. Our skids are designed to accept the entire weight of the vehicle when sitting on a rock or log. To extend away from the frame more would put added leverage on a frame rail that has already been proven marginal for this kind of mod. It would also expose the pinch weld seam to rock damage. I don't mean to be critical, but the X shown in the photo is not on the correct line. It should be going over the top of the rock, which is where it would contact the slider until it hit the rear tire, then go up on the rock or slide off and around. If you'd like to call, I can explain more. Sorry for being long winded. -Steve.

#391593 - 27/09/01 12:58 PM Re: Calmini Sliders
Philosopher Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by calmini:
I don't mean to be critical, but the X shown in the photo is not on the correct line. It should be going over the top of the rock, which is where it would contact the slider until it hit the rear tire, then go up on the rock or slide off and around.

SWEET! Now we get to have "tele-spotting" advice from someone who wasn't even on the trail that day.

And some people get accused of panning a product from a little photograph posted on the web.

:rolleyes:

#391594 - 27/09/01 02:14 PM Re: Calmini Sliders
Richard Krenn Offline

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA, USA
That was me driving, with Kirk spotting and Carlton filming.
The line we took was the only line possible. It was almost 20" to the top of the rock, it was really slippery and if we could have made it up there, we would have been high centered and going nowhere.

But I must say that Tellico was the hardest trail I have done and the most fun.

Richard Krenn.

#391595 - 27/09/01 03:38 PM Re: Calmini Sliders
imacsae Offline

Loc: El Paso Tx.
Don't think it is impossible to do a pivot such as that one on the calmini sliders. They are not flush against the body they do stick out some just not as much as the eoe sliders. While you may not be able to pivot off a pole that is as high as the widest point of your door, you can pivot off smaller rocks. It is hard to tell on that angle but it is possible the calmini sliders would have allowed you to do the same move. Although since they essentially give you a bit more maneuvering room down at that level you might have been able to squeeze by with less pivoting.

#391596 - 27/09/01 04:07 PM Re: Calmini Sliders
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Philosopher:
SWEET! Now we get to have "tele-spotting" advice from someone who wasn't even on the trail that day.

Well, I figured this would happen frown

There could be a dozen lines around or over that rock chosen by a dozen different drivers.

Exactly how far out should a rock slider stick ? In theory, a foot and half would keep just about anything away from the side of the body.

It would be fair to say that all rock sliders in production, from every manufacturer don't stick out far enough.

Look at that picture again. What if there was a rock under the driver side front tire tilting the X a bit ? The body of the Xterra would be right into that rock, regardless of who's rock slider was installed.

#391597 - 28/09/01 09:33 AM Re: Calmini Sliders
Philosopher Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:

There could be a dozen lines around or over that rock chosen by a dozen different drivers.

Exactly how far out should a rock slider stick ? In theory, a foot and half would keep just about anything away from the side of the body.

It would be fair to say that all rock sliders in production, from every manufacturer don't stick out far enough.

Look at that picture again. What if there was a rock under the driver side front tire tilting the X a bit ? The body of the Xterra would be right into that rock, regardless of who's rock slider was installed.

I agree with everything you've said here ... but what does it have to do with what I said that you quoted?

[ 09-28-2001: Message edited by: Philosopher ]

#391598 - 28/09/01 09:54 AM Re: Calmini Sliders
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Philosopher:
I agree with everything you've said here ... but what does it have to do with what I said that you quoted?

My first line was in response to what I quoted.

I rarely quote an entire message, it makes for bad form (Usenet habit).

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal