2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#392186 - 24/10/05 11:34 AM Lifting an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

What would be a good lift for an Xterra. I really only want about a 4" lift just for now, considering it is my daily driver!

#392187 - 24/10/05 11:52 AM Re: Lifting an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Calmini 3inch SL:
Clicky

SLR 3inch SL:
Clicky

AC 3inch BL:
Clicky

AC 2inch BL:
C licky

#392188 - 24/10/05 12:02 PM Re: Lifting an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Damn it Ponyboy beat me to it.

The max suspension lift you can get with the IFS is 3" you can combine it with body lifts and such to obtain more.

http://alpinetribe.com/products.htm

Also keep in mind you WILL need to upgrade your steering sooner than later.

#392189 - 24/10/05 01:14 PM Re: Lifting an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info!

Why will I need to upgrade my steering?

#392190 - 24/10/05 01:38 PM Re: Lifting an Xterra
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Lifting the IFS rig puts more acute angles and associated forces on the attached components, including the steering...

Augmenting or replacing stock components to restore the geomentry you had at stock height, and or going with a stronger system, helps to avoid steering failure over time.

People have wheeled for years on a stock steering system and a lift....or a matter of months....before having a problem. (YMMV)

So - Its something to plan on, albeit you don't necessarily need to get them at the same time...but have the budget for it clear in case you need it sooner rather than later.

laugh

The BL doesn't affect the steering, just the SL....and larger tires.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#392191 - 24/10/05 05:36 PM Re: Lifting an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

(I'm still saving & researching for my 06)

So does the Daystar Lift kit and/or All Lift kits require upgrades to Steering?

Shouldn't it be in the kit?

Thanks

#392192 - 24/10/05 05:44 PM Re: Lifting an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

don't know of a suspension lift that includes a steering upgrade...if they included a steering upgrade with the lift, then it'd cost that much more...a ton to shell out all at once...

#392193 - 24/10/05 06:01 PM Re: Lifting an Xterra
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Longer shocks are nice too.

laugh

Lift kits can be very complete, or just provide the lift, without locking you into a set of pre-picked shocks or springs, etc...it just depends on their guess as to what might make you buy.

So - pretty much NONE of the kits include steering upgrades....but, the lift makers do sell them separately.

This keeps the initial costs down.

The best buy in lift kits for the X might be the AC Articulator package...but it uses AAL's out back rather than a new flexy set of leaves...but, the money saved on leaves is used to provide revolver shackles, so the over all wheel travel is about the same...etc...shocks are an option, or part of a more complete package, etc.

SLR has a ala carte set up, mix and match arms and springs, shocks, or AAL/shackles, etc....

Calmini has shocks and an AAL/Shackle set up in their std kit as well.

Rancho sells a 2.5" SL, but no one likes it...the other three are all popular.

Spacer lifts, where you put a coil spacer over the coil to pick the truck up, and or the type where you use a longer shackle, are a good way to inexpensively get some height. If the spacer picks an IFS up far enough to strain the limits of wheel alignment adjustment, new UCA's might be needed, etc....but, that's all that's in the box.

In other words, you need to know WHY you want a lift to know WHAT type of lift is best for you.

I have a combination of lift components right now, from all above sources (except Rancho).

Too add to the mix, some people really like Rancho's shocks, so they might get one of the other lifts, but get Rancho shocks for it, etc.

Most people here prefer Bilstien shocks, but I'd say Rancho's are a distant second, with no third showing up often.

Calmini includes Calmini shocks with their lift, but most guys I know have replaced them, or wanted to replace them, with better ones after driving the Calmini ones for a year or less.

That's why I mix and match...I try for the best of each...or at least the best of what is affordable/available at the time.

laugh

L&P makes a good kit, but add a idler arm brace to it. This might be the least expensive, and yet really strong, option.

Calmini makes a reportedly well engineered NEW version of their steering kit (I have the OLD version...but it has never been problem for me....it just works, others, not so lucky...)

SLR makes a (Ala Carte...) kit that is also well engineered, and works flawlessly from what I hear....but you have to do the math to figure out the credit you get for sending them your OEM parts after you install the SLR parts, otherwise, the SLR system looks a lot more expensive than it really is....it can also replace/introduce, a lot of reinforced parts.

So - Any one lifting should think about what they want the lift to do other than make the truck higher, and go for the features that work for them.

This can mean a bit of research, going to the web sites, checking the claims against bs, etc.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#392194 - 25/10/05 07:44 AM Re: Lifting an Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

[ThumbsUp] Thanks for the info.

I'm not going to be doing much wheelin, just once in a while I'm off the beaten path - for fun or on my way to an outdoor event. So I'm thinking about 2-3 inch's max. I'm also trying to improve the X (Next Gen) Rear suspension travel because I hear it's like 2 inches to the bump stops.

Thanks again for all the info and insight on this topic.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal