2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#392359 - 28/09/05 07:21 PM Re: Someone make us some LCA's
Anonymous
Unregistered

Something OE length, a contoured (rounded) front (not square) so it will glide over stuff instead of biting into it, fully boxed bottom so it doesn't create a hang up point, Thru-bolted shock mount (I am thinking 1/4" plates) place to mount a progressive bump stop perhaps a pad for an air bump (if that's your taste)

same ball joint as the top, or a uniball....

Better steering stop stops, Teflon lined?

NO STAMPED METAL!

Oh yea, greasable bushings are a MUST!

I don't even care if it's painted pink smile

#392360 - 03/10/05 11:05 AM Re: Someone make us some LCA's
dano Offline

Loc: Ridgefield Park, NJ
Like said, replaceable lower ball joints are key as well as more strength to resist what we can put our rigs through.
But the man worthwhile
is the man who can smile
when his shorts are too tight in the seat.

#392361 - 03/10/05 11:29 AM Re: Someone make us some LCA's
Anonymous
Unregistered

While easily replacement lower ball joints would be awfully nice, it's most definately not cost effective, if the arm would cost +/- $500 or so. Y'all aren't thinking overall cost, you're thinking maintenence cost.

I won't debate the estimate of how much LCA's would cost; SoCal covered it pretty well already, and his numbers seem really reasonable.

So if you're thinking a $500 set of LCA's would be cost effective, just to get a replacement lower ball joint, you're nuts! If you replace LCA's every 50,000 miles or so (which is reasonable if you beat on your LCA's severely; if not, then it'll take a good bit longer before replacing), you'd have to go over 150,000 miles before recouping that initial $500 cost.

And sure, an easily replaceable lower ball joint sure would be nice, the lower ball joints are ALREADY replaceable. You just can't buy them new. You have to buy used ones, then replace 'em. Which is annoying, 'cause you're getting somebody else's garbage.

What we really need, is an aftermarket ball joint. It's a weird design, but somebody's making the things. Either that, or we need a retrofit kit, to retrofit a D21 chasis lower ball joint into the D22 lower control arm. Something like that at around $100 or so a pop would be well worth it.

The strength issues on the LCA are few and far between. So the shock mount tears out... Re-weld it, and be on your way. That's not worth $500! About the only damage I've seen to a LCA, that really is a problem, is the pic I've seen w/ the LCA torn/ripped at the ball joint. So whatever caused that damage, yeah, a strong LCA would be helpful.

But I've only seen 1 LCA do that. Anybody else? 1 in hundreds of thousands X's and Frontiers on the road doesn't sound like that big/widespread of a problem to me.

Y'all aren't thinking about the big picture. It's not cost effective to spend a fortune on a bullet proof LCA, just to get an easily replaceable ball joint. It's just not worth it.

#392362 - 03/10/05 11:35 AM Re: Someone make us some LCA's
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
yeah - I'd agree that the ball joints are the REAL issue.

#392363 - 03/10/05 11:51 AM Re: Someone make us some LCA's
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by porsche996:

About the only damage I've seen to a LCA, that really is a problem, is the pic I've seen w/ the LCA torn/ripped at the ball joint. So whatever caused that damage, yeah, a strong LCA would be helpful.

That would have been mine.

There's no telling what caused the damage but I'm pretty sure bouncing it off of all the rocks in the Mojave Desert had something to do with it.

Axle

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal