2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#392959 - 08/04/07 06:06 PM CALIMINI 5" SAFETY WARNING!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

The supplied front brake lines can get caught inside the rim and rub through. Mine did, on a dangerous downhill section and second day of wheeling with the kit installed. It could have even happened on the highway. I will advise Calimini tomorrow. I wire tied my brake lines( including the one with vice grips) out of harms way....but shorter lines will be needed.

4 Days wheeling with 25% less brakes and no front ELS. Priceless [drink]

#392960 - 08/04/07 09:12 PM Re: CALIMINI 5" SAFETY WARNING!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lloyd, I have not looked close at the Calmini new spindle to see it has the same feature, but a stock spindle has a 6mm tapped hole about half way up the back of the upright. Use a grommeted "IDEAL" clamp around your brake hose. Choose one big enough for your line to slide freely in. Bolt it into that 6mm hole. It brings the line up protected and out of the way. At least it works on the racer.

#392961 - 08/04/07 09:27 PM Re: CALIMINI 5" SAFETY WARNING!!!!!
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Can you show us pix of how you re-installed the lines?

Isn't it the case that when you loose pressure to one tire you loose pressure to the entire system? Did you find a way to seal the hydraulic system to keep it under pressure. When we lost the brakes on the XterraRacer it was due to a similar failure - all the brakes were out at that point.

This is my install on the spindle / brake line and no problems here:

And finally, since I do this so well (being a prick), please tell me that the shop did not botch up the install.

For the rest of us, point taken. Inspect and be safe. Thank you Lloyd - safety is key!

smile

#392962 - 09/04/07 05:40 AM Re: CALIMINI 5" SAFETY WARNING!!!!!
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
Why not go with SS braided lines for extra security??

#392963 - 09/04/07 06:13 AM Re: CALIMINI 5" SAFETY WARNING!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by spalind:
Why not go with SS braided lines for extra security??
SS brake lines are typically weaker than OEM lines. They offer "better" feel and stronger braking power by not flexing, but they're more prone to blowouts because of it.

I'll never put another SS line on any vehicle I own (except a motorcycle) for that very reason. I've blown out too many SS lines already. Stopping w/ the e-brake & an automatic transmission in heavy traffic isn't a whole lot of fun.

#392964 - 09/04/07 07:24 AM Re: CALIMINI 5" SAFETY WARNING!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't actually see the brake line in those pictures. Just the ABS line.

#392965 - 09/04/07 07:31 AM Re: CALIMINI 5" SAFETY WARNING!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

That is the ABS wire, and it is fine. The brake line is the issue, you can see it snaking over the back...

#392966 - 09/04/07 07:35 AM Re: CALIMINI 5" SAFETY WARNING!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by fastdrmr:
Can you show us pix of how you re-installed the lines?

Isn't it the case that when you loose pressure to one tire you loose pressure to the entire system? Did you find a way to seal the hydraulic system to keep it under pressure. When we lost the brakes on the XterraRacer it was due to a similar failure - all the brakes were out at that point.

That's what the vice grips are for, pinches the line to prevent loss of all brake pressure.

#392967 - 09/04/07 08:46 AM Re: CALIMINI 5" SAFETY WARNING!!!!!
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Good points, and yes that is the ABS line... my bad.

Still interested in seeing pix of what went wrong.

Again, safety being #1 - glad nobody was hurt and thanks for posting.

#392968 - 09/04/07 10:38 AM Re: CALIMINI 5" SAFETY WARNING!!!!!
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I am guessing that a bracket was not used to secure the brake line.

Let us know what you discover.

#392969 - 09/04/07 12:50 PM Re: CALIMINI 5" SAFETY WARNING!!!!!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Calimini said to just zip tie it off to the bump stop, and they will include that in future instructions. They are sending me a new line.

#392970 - 09/04/07 03:01 PM Re: CALIMINI 5" SAFETY WARNING!!!!!
JtaoJ Offline

Loc: Layton, Utah
The way Fastdrmr and I (I learned from Fastdrmr) is to find the natural curve to the brake line. If you do that, and then tighten the flare nut at the frame with that natural curve pulling the line away, you won't have that problem...I think anyway. Your shop needed to do a steering turn lock to lock to ensure the lines would not contact anything. The instructions were pretty clear on doing that.

Fastdrmr, if you have pics of the brake lines with the natural curve/twist pulling the line away, that would be helpful. I can get some pics, but not for a day or so.

But...I will be double checking mine smile so Lloyd, thanks for the heads up and reminder.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal