2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#393127 - 08/05/06 08:52 PM Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK when is some one gonna make a bad ass functional rack like this????

#393128 - 08/05/06 08:58 PM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do I have any takers??? Mr. Shrock perhaps???

#393129 - 09/05/06 06:39 AM Re: Roof Rack
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
What's wrong with the Calmini rack? I have gas cans, hi-lift, lights, ax, pry bar, etc... mounted on mine.

Doug

#393130 - 09/05/06 07:09 AM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Like this? CLICK

#393131 - 09/05/06 03:43 PM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah, that one looks a lil' more useable.

#393132 - 09/05/06 04:47 PM Re: Roof Rack
Shrock Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
I'm listening. Tell me what you want that is not available elsewhere.

#393133 - 09/05/06 05:00 PM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like the first one better... smile

#393134 - 09/05/06 07:05 PM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

shrock, i want a rack that is like the calmini one in a sense(full replacement) but with more supports built in, with flooring built in too. if possible i would like to see optional jerry can mounts and for sure light tabs in the front. o yeah, and no crappy powdercoat like the calmini one(not that your stuff has that problem anyways).

#393135 - 09/05/06 07:49 PM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would like the flooring as well, but maybe expanded metal instead of sheet metal (maybe a choice between the two) optional fold-over CB antennae mount, light tabs front and rear...I wouldn't necessarily want the holes for wiring pre-drilled as anyone that doesn't mount lights up there would have holes that could lead to a rusting problem...
shovel/axe mount, tie down cleats on the upper bar of the rack...
optional coverage of the flooring at the very front of the rack to give those with sunroofs the ability to open them...
optional canvas hand straps for getting up high on the roof...
sorry it's not better organized, I'm writing these as they come to me smile

#393136 - 09/05/06 08:42 PM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

i agree on the not sheet metal part, if you end up building something like this put me on the list for a buyer

#393137 - 09/05/06 09:08 PM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alright!!!

Ok Shrock:

* completely usable front to rear storage space
* Sharp looking of course
* 4 light tabs in the front, 2 rear
* A hollow path through the tubes to run the wires for the lights
* spot for a CB arial
* Optional Spare holder
* Optional Highlift brackets
* Optional flooring
* how about not putting the dip in the front where the basket was and running the cross bars at the same height
* Safety devices, the landrover rack company has some cool ones, Ideas there perhaps

#393138 - 09/05/06 09:11 PM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh yeah, and dont make it any taller than the already existing one. I nead to get into my garage.

#393139 - 09/05/06 10:34 PM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

if you could build in a bottle opener to that would be great... [drink]

#393140 - 10/05/06 08:06 AM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrock:
I'm listening. Tell me what you want that is not available elsewhere.
First off, one that fits the 05-06 X.

I would want something similar to the Calmini rack w/:

*Removable expanded metal floor.

*The bottom of the rack should follow the roof line, but the top should stay the same height. (so the front is deeper than the back)

*Front and rear light tabs

*Front Air Dam

*Some sort of release system so the rack can be removed without needing to unbolt it from the roof (the mounts can stay).

*Compatible with the Yakima Loadwarrior accessories.

*Front should be formed to fit some sort of aftermarket case (ie. Pelican case) so those of us who the stock front bin and don’t want to lose that functionality.

#393141 - 10/05/06 08:45 AM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

What Muzikman said... but for the 1st generation.

#393142 - 10/05/06 02:12 PM Re: Roof Rack
Guy Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca.
I can't recommend the place I bought this from because it's been a real hassle. It is a sturdy rack though. The place mostly does business with the Rover crowd so their rack is very similar to the one at the start of the thread.

Guy

#393143 - 10/05/06 03:38 PM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im not sure how good an Idea using expanded metal realy is? I think the cross bars are the best option.

Just my .02c

#393144 - 10/05/06 03:49 PM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

it's true that if you put regular bags on expanded metal flooring for any extended period of time that the expanded metal will destroy those bags, but that's why you get the bags designed to go on the roof (made of much more resiliant (sp?) material) or cases (such as pelican or gator, etc...) for the rack you should be good to go. Personally I don't like crossbars because there are certain things that would lend themselves to being placed up there...like shoes laugh

#393145 - 11/05/06 03:59 AM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also like the tubes for the simple fact you can hook straps to them ho hold your stuff in place. And optional floor you could U-bolt down would work well.

#393146 - 11/05/06 04:08 PM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

It hit me today at work that the best option for a floor would be tubular crossbars with a bolt on floor made out of .120" thick black nylon. I mill this material extensively at work. I would suggest it be made in 3 sections with holes milled/drilled in it every so often for hooks and straps to be placed. To attach it I would use U-bolts. Simple, easy, effective.

If you used expanded metal it would be to abrasive. Not to mention the 200 tack welds used to attach it. And to top it all of you couldn't clean the roof, and it would look tacky.

Good Idea but I like mine better.

Just my .02c though smile

#393147 - 11/05/06 04:26 PM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by blue02:
It hit me today at work that the best option for a floor would be tubular crossbars with a bolt on floor made out of .120" thick black nylon. I mill this material extensively at work. I would suggest it be made in 3 sections with holes milled/drilled in it every so often for hooks and straps to be placed. To attach it I would use U-bolts. Simple, easy, effective.

If you used expanded metal it would be to abrasive. Not to mention the 200 tack welds used to attach it. And to top it all of you couldn't clean the roof, and it would look tacky.

Good Idea but I like mine better.

Just my .02c though smile
Your my boy blue, your my boy!

Tell me more about this nylon flooring Idea. I've never liked the idea of putting in expanded metal. It does look tacky. Would it look like this?

#393148 - 11/05/06 05:27 PM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes, but Smooth and non textured, with some times a visable "grain" from rollong it out into flat sheets. We use .390" thick at work non stop.

I see you found a pic of the rover version.

I hope Shrock is listening because we have pretty much got this thing figured out. Now all we have to do is post some blue prints.

I'd make mine, but I dont wanna deal with the conture of the roof. I checked and the factory crossbars are slighly bowed. meaning that all the supports would have to be a special length and angle, and that would kick my OCD into overtime. Id go nuts for days trying to get that thing dead nuts square on top of the truck. If I built it for my truck, it would have to be perfect.

#393149 - 12/05/06 10:12 AM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

You dont build it from the roof up. you build the basket itself, then fit it to the roof. Mine is not perfect but it is pretty square and true.

The key is to not get in a huge hurry and be methodical

BTW, you would want to have the nylon floor have some texture or non-slippage feature.

#393150 - 13/05/06 02:34 PM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jim!!!!!

I already claimed the first rack!

I am ready for it!

Build it and we will buy!

Okay at least me...

and a bunch of my friends!

Sell it for what Calmini does and I am there!

Read the other thread and build in the options and you are right up there with religous figures!

#393151 - 13/05/06 08:33 PM Re: Roof Rack
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok found a good pic of what Im trying to accomplish:

4 big ass lights:

The spare Right behind them, with room for cases if needed:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal