shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#393295 - 19/01/02 12:32 PM SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Stormy's is rusting like a pisser. We took my handy Pedros Magnetic parts tray and it sticks to the pipes. No big shock.

We could not get the magnet to stick to my new roofrack, which is made of stainless.

So if you are in the market for a full stainless steel exhaust, I would steer clear of this one until further notice.

#393296 - 19/01/02 01:29 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
I'm going to try to contact SLR on monday to resolve this. I paid $369 for a "Stainless Exhaust System". Well, that's what it said on my recept.

#393297 - 19/01/02 01:43 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
Matt Peckham Offline

even if it was just a stainless vs aluminized muffler, and not the rest of the system, there's no way to justify that price difference. Let's hope you resolve it.

Matt

#393298 - 19/01/02 03:26 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
Anonymous
Unregistered

What did this "system" include. The system for my 5.0 was a lot more than 369, but it was the full system, header, x-pipe, mufflers, pipes... was this just from behind the cats to the back?

Did you notice a $369 increase in power?

#393299 - 19/01/02 05:49 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Check with Gibson too, since they don't explain what is aluminized or stainless anywhere on their web site.

They do mention a SS tip though.

#393300 - 20/01/02 06:35 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
stormy Offline

On the recept it says Stainless steel system. That says to me that everything is stainless (this is not the case). When SLR sold me the system, Spencer said it was a complete stainless cat-back exhaust and it's not.

#393301 - 20/01/02 06:41 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
stormy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Goliath The X:

Did you notice a $369 increase in power?

I got the system because they said it was a power increase and it was ss and ss will last a whole lot longer... If it was ss then it would be worth $369 but it's not.

Here's a shot of a magnet tray stuck to the exhaust proving that it's not ss.

[ 01-20-2002: Message edited by: stormy ]

#393302 - 21/01/02 09:23 AM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
CheetaraX Offline

Loc: Ft. Collins
The rusting proves it is not stainless steel not a magnet sticking to it. 300 series stainless is non magnetic and is what is commonly used (alloy for Matt's rack was most likely 304 or 316). 400 series though is magnetic. The magnet trick does not prove anything really in this case. The rusting is your best argument.

#393303 - 21/01/02 09:43 AM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
I just went out and did the "magnet test" on my Gibson stainless steel exhaust system I installed 11/01/01. The muffler itself passed, but the headpipe (#482-700367S) and the tailpipe (#483-700368S) failed! It even states on the list of parts that BOTH the pipes are stainless steel (S/S), I feel had! On Tuesday, I'm going to call the customer service number 1-800-528-3044 and see what's going on here. The only thing I can think of is that the pipes might be made of a different grade of stainless steel than the muffler.

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#393304 - 21/01/02 09:59 AM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
I feel had!

Relax. Being stainless does not mean non-magnetic. Any ferrous metal will stick to a magnet. Some stainless steels contain ferrite and some doesn't. And while corrosion resistance is a better indicator of stainless steel, even that isn't a foolproof way to tell. Stainless steel can corrode under extreme conditions. There are different qualities of stainless steel and the better quality ones are more resistant to corrosion. You may have a crappy stainless exhaust system, but by definition is probably is stainless.

#393305 - 21/01/02 10:03 AM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
ILUVMYX Offline

#393306 - 21/01/02 05:52 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
stormy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by CheetaraX:
The rusting proves it is not stainless steel not a magnet sticking to it

Rust caught my attention, The magnet is to show that it's not stanless... Do you know what metals the gibson is made of?

#393307 - 21/01/02 06:04 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by stormy:
The magnet is to show that it's not stanless...

OK, I'll try this again. Read THIS . Here's a small piece of what you'll find...

SECOND BRANCH:

CHROMIUM CONTAINING
The second branch also contain 12 to 18% chromium BUT has a LOWER carbon level (less than 0.2%). Since the carbon is low, these grades have a different metallurgical structure and are called "Ferritic" stainless steels. They have the following characteristics:

Are magnetic
CANNOT be hardened by "heat treatment" (always used in the annealed or softened condition)
Weldability is still poor

Common Uses:

Automotive exhaust and fuel lines
Architectural trim
Cooking utensils
Bank vaults

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: ILUVMYX ]

#393308 - 21/01/02 07:50 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
Matt Peckham Offline

it won't stain but it will rust....

How about selling a rustless exhaust system. Not that the original has had any problems...

#393309 - 22/01/02 08:23 AM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
I just got off the phone with a tech at Gibson, and I told him about the rusting problems some people are having with their stainless steel exhaust systems. He told me that the pipes are made of "409" stainless which has metal flake in it so when they bend the pipe it will not crack. The muffler itself is made of "304" stainless. As for the rust, what you see is the metal flake itself oxidizing, and it is only surface rust (he recommended using an SOS pad to remove the rust if I wanted to). He also reasured me that ALL the parts have a lifetime rust-through warranty, and would be replaced no questions asked. I feel better now. smile

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#393310 - 22/01/02 09:05 AM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
stormy Offline

I just talked to SLR. They seem very willing to fix my rusting issue. I just need to email some photo's to them.

#393311 - 29/01/02 06:21 AM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
stormy Offline

The latest mail from SLR... Looking good so far.
Quote:
Norman,
I'm waiting to hear back from my Gibson Rep.
I will have this problem resolved 1-29\31-01
Please be patient.
SLR will resolve this problem.
Thanks>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SLR

#393312 - 29/01/02 03:09 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Before I spend money on an exhaust system, I want one that's completely stainless and does NOT rust. That's half the point of an aftermarket/performance exhaust!

The other options include aluminizing or ceramic coating... The former works well, and the latter is supposedly better... However, I'd had two exhaust systems ceramic coated and either the shop sucks (most likely) or the process is bullshit... Both rusted in spots where the coating was too thin or didn't adhere properly.

#393313 - 30/01/02 12:33 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
dez Offline

Teri is in charge of warranty issues at Gibson. Her email is teri@gibsonperformance.com.

For those of you who have questions about rusting/material issues, SLR recommends contacting Gibson at 1-800-528-3044.

[ 01-30-2002: Message edited by: dez ]

#393314 - 31/01/02 04:21 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
stormy Offline

I got a call from Spenser. It looks like Gibson will be replacing my system. So far I couldn't be happier with the level of customer service and professionalism. I'll be even happier when I get the new system from Gibson.
Thanks SLR for making this process painless.

#393315 - 31/01/02 08:10 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Very cool, let us know what Gibson finds out about why it rusted...my aluminized Gibson is holding up great.
EOE...Opening Soon!

#393316 - 01/02/02 12:22 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
MsMcq Offline

Loc: Corona, CA
Hi everyone...This is Teri from Gibson Performance (customer service). I have read all the posts concerning our stainless steel exhaust systems and would like to answer some of the questions that have been raised in this forum.(and some great answer's I might add!!)

The most prominent questions have been about the different grades of stainless we use in our manufacturing process. Unlike the S/S tips and the muffler, which are made from 304 polished stainless; the tubes are made of 16 GA./409 stainless (which is the same grade of stainless used in your Nissan Xterra factory exhaust system). If you are unfamiliar with grades of stainless, please understand that 409 stainless contains small metal fragments, which allows the steel to be easily manipulated for the precision of mandrel bending, and not become "brittle". These metal fragments will discolor and attract surface rust when exposed to inclement weather but please be assured that the integrity of the stainless steel is not compromised by this reaction to the elements. We are so confident, in the quality of our stainless steel products, that we warranty our stainless exhaust systems against rust-through for as long as the original purchaser owns that vehicle.

I apologize for being so long winded, and would welcome a telephone call,(800)528-3044, from any of you concerning our products.
Looking forward to hearing from you!

Teri

#393317 - 01/02/02 05:18 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Wow, thanks for the explanation - and don't worry about being "long winded." That clears it up, and if it's warrantied like you say then there's no worries. smile

#393318 - 02/02/02 05:54 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
frontier man Offline

Loc: somewhere
Is the gibson almost as queit as stock?

#393319 - 02/02/02 06:11 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by frontier man:
Is the gibson almost as queit as stock?

Nope, not even close.

#393320 - 03/02/02 01:05 AM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I don't know, mine is pretty quiet.

#393321 - 03/02/02 11:27 AM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
So is mine, it adds a bit more of a throatier sound but not so much as you need to crank your stereo or give you the ricey sound without the balls to back it up. Sounds just right I think.
EOE...Opening Soon!

#393322 - 03/02/02 12:51 PM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
Strom Offline

I think that the EARLY Gibson exhaust may have come from the Frontier version, and it was louder. Can anyone confirm this? When did Jackel get his exhaust, and how loud is it?

#393323 - 12/02/02 09:19 AM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
Jackel Offline

Loc: Glendale, AZ, USA
I had the 2nd or third one and That was one of my complaints was that it was too loud(not my complaints just feeback I love the loud sound).

#393324 - 12/02/02 11:19 AM Re: SLR Gibson Stainless Steel Exhaust system.
Strom Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackel:
I had the 2nd or third one and That was one of my complaints was that it was too loud(not my complaints just feeback I love the loud sound).

Interesting. Have you tried putting on one of the new (quieter) exhausts and seeing what the performance difference there is?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal