2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#393403 - 23/12/01 07:09 PM Calmini bumper
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Would deployment of the airbag be impaired with the installation of the winch bumper? Would the operation of a winch be likely to deploy the airbag? I wouldn't think so, but someone warned me about "those types" of bumpers and used this reasoning. Thanks,

Charlie

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: CharlieH ]

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#393404 - 04/01/02 07:27 AM Re: Calmini bumper
calmini Offline

Loc: Bakersfield , CA
Charlie, we expressly do not guarantee proper air bag operation with any replacement bumper or grille guard add-on that we manufacture for any SUV. The information that we've gathered is that the the actuation of these devices is via inertia (G forces) at impact. This can be altered somewhat by a larger bumper either absorbing or transfering the forces at impact. We've also seen airbags activate on a big off road suspension impact. Either way, this can vary from vehicle to vehicle. -Steve.

#393405 - 04/01/02 08:36 AM Re: Calmini bumper
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by CharlieH:
Would the operation of a winch be likely to deploy the airbag?

How the heck could operating a winch trigger an airbag? Makes zero sense to me.

?????
Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#393406 - 04/01/02 01:10 PM Re: Calmini bumper
NthLJ Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:

?????
Brent

As posted above, inertia, impact, movement...Hell I don't know, but it is a concern. The only people I have seen with a guarantee is TJM. My uncle who owns a shop mentioned this and it got me concerned. I asked, and got a reply. I do appreciate the info gained. If I do get one of these bumpers I will probably disarm/remove the airbags. Having one deploy while half-in, half-out of position...If say winching from the drivers seat you could end up with a broken back. They took the air-bags out of a lot of Police cars here for a similar reason...during a traffic stop the officer would be getting out of his car and the person stopped would throw their car in reverse and hit the cop car. Airbags are a good deal, and they save lives, but they are also potentially dangerous explosives mounted in front of you.

I don't think this is something to be overly concerned with, but I also don't see anything wrong with being prepared and asking questions. I have removed airbags on two vehicles that were used on the track, having them go off during agressive offroading would suck. I go out a lot by myself sometimes more than 100 miles or more from help, and so try to minimize the risk of injury whenever I can.

Anyhoo, thanks for the information Steve.

Cheers.

Charlie

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#393407 - 04/01/02 05:56 PM Re: Calmini bumper
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
?????
Brent
I absolutely agree Brent. The forces are working in reverse. When winching you are pulling the bumper away from the vehicle. The forces necessary to deploy an airbag are impact forces pushing the bumper into the vehicle.

Thats why when you get hit from the rear your airbag doesn't deploy.

Now granted, there could be other concerns, but winching I don't consider one of them.

#393408 - 04/01/02 07:35 PM Re: Calmini bumper
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Actually, the TJM bumpers have a disclaimer that they are NOT to be used on vehicles with airbags. Mine came with this sticker on it:
CAUTION: This bar does not have compliance for air bag compatibility and must not be installed on a vehicle equipped with an (SRS) air bag. Contact TJM Products for information the on availability of air bag bars with compliance for this vehicle.
Another sticker says:
Some vehicles are equipped with progressive crush features and/or air bag actuators designed into the vehicle frame. The installation of this TJM bumper and/or winch could alter the vehicle crush rate and/or change the operational characteristics of the air bag.

Operating he winch cannot trigger the air bag, period. The presence of the winch's mass can further alter the way an impact is transferred to the airbag sensors though.

I would not advise you to disable the airbags! Odds are the bumper will only make them a bit more likely to trigger and/or trigger a tad sooner than they otherwise might, but either way, they will still provide much of the protection they are designed to. Triggering too late is how they cause injury, when you have already been thrown into their path.
If I were a cop I would insist on having an operational airbag in the vehicle. Collisions during high-speed persuits are just the sort of situation where an airbag can make a tremendous difference! Any department that disables them because of the extremely rare case of someone backing into a cruiser just as the officer is getting out is asking for a lawsuit. If the officer is injured by the airbag, it would be the auto maker that he would try to sue, not the department.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#393409 - 04/01/02 09:16 PM Re: Calmini bumper
cracker Offline

Loc: Canada
wrt cop cars and air bags, i believe much of the concern was the cop's lap top or similar computer screen being between the airbag and the officer. i read of a case where an officer was killed when the airbag deployed (his vehicle was stopped) but it was because his lap top screen decapitated him.

#393410 - 05/01/02 09:17 AM Re: Calmini bumper
NthLJ Offline

On the website I was looking at, under the faq section it says that TJM had done extensive testing and that it was guaranteed...heheheh. This is why it is good to share info, no?

The injuries I have heard about have been broken spine, and death from the airbag engaging when they were part way out of the vehicle. I don't think I will disconnect them. The crush rate doesn't concern me as much as the bags going off while winching. Since this is not a likely occurance, I won't sweat it. That little add-on is going to have to wait a bit anyway, other stuff needs to get done first.

Thanks to everyone for responding and adding input of use, instead of just giving me a swift electronic kick to the balls. I will need those from time to time, as I do come up with some dumbass things to post about. smile

Cheers,

Charlie

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal