shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#394346 - 12/01/08 03:21 PM Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am looking for a spare tire carrier for the back of my X but I do not want the kind that replaces the entire back bumper, I want one that simply attaches to the back of the truck, like on a Jeep. Has anyone come across a tire carrier like this? Thanks

#394347 - 12/01/08 05:00 PM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Post up a pic of what your talkin about. If a vehicle does not come with a rear tire carrier it typically needs the bumper replaced to give the carrier stability and strength.

#394348 - 12/01/08 05:22 PM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool There hasn't been a side mount tire carrier made for the X, because there isn't enough vertical mounting area and LATCH points, because of the size and physical attributes of the HATCH--

--What little side areas,(fender), there are, would not be structurally strong enough for a swinging tire carrier--

-So your stuck, either put it on the bumper like this--

--Put it on top (good luck) or leave it underneath !!

--Good luck--JIMBO

--

#394349 - 12/01/08 10:09 PM Re: Spare tire carrier?
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by akaMud:
I went to Camping World and got a bolt on folding tire carrier built for RV's ($30). I spent another $30 or so at Lowe's on angle iron, mending straps and bolts and voila', Xterra tire carrier.

The mending straps are bolted through and through the solid part of the bumper and to the tire carrier which is also bolted to the trailer hitch step plate. (I don't know how you'd do it without the towing package). The tire carrier folds down so I can open the hatch. I've backed it into gully walls and bounced the heck out of it and so far so good.
Sounds interesting....But do you think you could maybe shoot an even less descriptive photo of the setup.....maybe climb to the top of that hill in the background in your pic and shoot down? That should go a long ways towards showing even less how you set this up.

laugh

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#394350 - 13/01/08 05:02 AM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Now that was funny.

#394351 - 13/01/08 07:44 AM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Powerguy38 Offline

Loc: Greensburg, PA
Quote:
Originally posted by RedX:
Quote:
Originally posted by akaMud:
[b]I went to Camping World and got a bolt on folding tire carrier built for RV's ($30). I spent another $30 or so at Lowe's on angle iron, mending straps and bolts and voila', Xterra tire carrier.

The mending straps are bolted through and through the solid part of the bumper and to the tire carrier which is also bolted to the trailer hitch step plate. (I don't know how you'd do it without the towing package). The tire carrier folds down so I can open the hatch. I've backed it into gully walls and bounced the heck out of it and so far so good.
Sounds interesting....But do you think you could maybe shoot an even less descriptive photo of the setup.....maybe climb to the top of that hill in the background in your pic and shoot down? That should go a long ways towards showing even less how you set this up.

laugh [/b]
[Spit] [LOL]

#394352 - 13/01/08 10:18 AM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sure thing.

If you'd like I could post some close ups too.

#394353 - 22/01/08 12:23 PM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice setup!

Does it impede the use of your hitch at all? Looks like it would clear, but can't tell for sure or not.

#394354 - 22/01/08 12:34 PM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

How many times has it fallen off when wheelin? [Freak] Looks like pretty thin material for holding a 40lb+, rim/tire mang.

#394355 - 29/01/08 04:33 PM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't tow much so I haven't tried a trailer yet. I can still use the tow hitch recovery shackle. If the tire gets in the way of a trailer, I can put the tire in the trailer.

The fold down carrier is a little thin and it wags from side to side like a tail off road but it hasn't fallen off or bent yet. I gave it a workout Saturday near Willow Springs
http://nissan4wheelers.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/119603133/m/65410497341
It didn't fall off on that rocky slam fest so I'm pretty happy with version 1.now.

#394356 - 30/01/08 05:04 PM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
Just spend a tad more $$ on a Shrockworks, I don't like my Calmini tire carrier. It rattles like a beeotch and the latch mechanism is a crappy design.

#394357 - 30/01/08 05:33 PM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool Yea Saline, look at my post up above, thats my POS calmini--

Quote:
Originally posted by Saline:
Just spend a tad more $$ on a Shrockworks, I don't like my Calmini tire carrier. It rattles like a beeotch and the latch mechanism is a crappy design.
--I modified the latch assembly (thru it away) and made my own, works fine and it's quiet-

-- [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] --JIMBO

#394358 - 30/01/08 07:08 PM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

One day the pot metal angle brackets you have mounted the tire and carrier with will finally stress fracture and your spare will fall off and bounce once, then into the windshield of a young mother's Geo, killing her and maiming her newborn.

That garbage is dangerous. I hope you take it off before you kill someone.

#394359 - 30/01/08 07:23 PM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool Very interesting, please show me data, justifying your doomsday prediction and your assumtion, of the Calmini brackets being "potmetal"-I'll wait with baited breath-

Quote:
Originally posted by XterraAdam:
One day the pot metal angle brackets you have mounted the tire and carrier with will finally stress fracture and your spare will fall off and bounce once, then into the windshield of a young mother's Geo, killing her and maiming her newborn.

That garbage is dangerous. I hope you take it off before you kill someone.
cool

-- [Wave] [Wave] JIMBO

#394360 - 30/01/08 09:44 PM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

And then that maimed newborn will grow older, becoming a maimed infant, then a maimed toddler, a maimed preschooler, a maimed adolencent and so on until he is a fully grown maimed person. And he will resent you and your "spare-tire carrier."

How does that make you feel?

#394361 - 31/01/08 07:34 AM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by gymbo:
cool Very interesting, please show me data, justifying your doomsday prediction and your assumtion, of the Calmini brackets being "potmetal"-I'll wait with baited breath-

cool

-- [Wave] [Wave] JIMBO
Did you not read this thread? Or did you automatically think I was referring to the Calmini bumper pictured? Look closer. This guy used shelf brackets to mount a tire/rim to a bracket designed for a 14" tire for a camper... I don't even feel comfortable with my bracket like that on my camper that came from the factory. I safety cabled it, just in case.

I have broken shelf brackets holding up much less weight, and in a stationary position with much less weight trying to use them for "other purposes" They are a very poor quality of alloy and do not hold up to any flexing or weather.

edit: And your carrier looks fine.. The only thing I dislike about the Calmini stuff is the finish, if they could get the powdercoat right, it would be flawless. I think their problem lies in the prep work for some reason. Most of the chips I've had in my Calmini stuff seem to be from air pockets behind the coating which sometimes comes from oil contamination (think fingerprints).

#394362 - 31/01/08 07:35 AM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mitch1351:

And then that maimed newborn will grow older, becoming a maimed infant, then a maimed toddler, a maimed preschooler, a maimed adolencent and so on until he is a fully grown maimed person. And he will resent you and your "spare-tire carrier."

Quote:
FTFY.

#394363 - 31/01/08 07:48 AM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool I'm sorry XterraAdam, since you didn't "point the finger" and your post was right after mine, I thought you were referring to my Calmini carrier--

--I've capped on Calmini enought, about their bumper and the quality control, it LACKS, but the stupid thing is made of good solid steel and the welds are "welding manual perfect"--AND

--akamuds carrier setup, does look RUBE GOLDBERG !!!!

-- [Wave] [Wave] --JIMBO

#394364 - 31/01/08 08:30 PM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by mitch1351:
[b]

Quote:
FTFY.[/b]
Next time try offering some advice or at least some constructive criticism rather than some hypothetic story of doom.

#394365 - 01/02/08 06:19 AM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm pretty sure he did offer criticism...the weak materials used in the construction aren't up to the job :rollseyes:

#394366 - 01/02/08 06:29 AM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Back on F*&%$ topping.... who is the Canadian that built the tire carrier / ladder on his hatch? I camped right next to him at ECXC but can't remember his screen name. I know he was still working out the piston angle as of July.

#394367 - 01/02/08 07:33 AM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

#394368 - 01/02/08 09:54 AM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Don't know, the link won't let me access the site...

#394369 - 01/02/08 10:44 AM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

MY bad...

#394370 - 01/02/08 11:13 AM Re: Spare tire carrier?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yessir... that'd be the one!!! [Wave]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal