shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#394919 - 08/01/02 08:35 AM Calmini Rear Bumper
colorado_buff Offline

Loc: A mile high.....
Is your rear bumper available without the tire carrier? If so, how much is it and can it be attached with the spare tire still under the vehicle? Thanks for any information.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: colorado_buff ]

#394920 - 08/01/02 10:15 AM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper
LAXterra Offline

Loc: West Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by colorado_buff:
Is your rear bumper available without the tire carrier? If so, how much is it and can it be attached with the spare tire still under the vehicle? Thanks for any information.
Until Steve from CALMINI answers here is my 2 cents. If any thing is wrong... please correct me Steve.

NED946 from SCCX has the first production model. On one of our xcursions I asked him the same thing. NO. frown
The bumper mounts in three locations. Two locations are standard for the stock bumper. The third location is the mounting location of the spare tire winch. The spare tire and lowering winch is removed and the CALMINI rear bumper is attached with a support from the middle of the bumper to the former location of the spare tire. IMHO this increases the rear bumper mounting strength by 50%. laugh

I would have liked to keeped by 31" tire under the vehicle for normal day's(easy access to cargo area)....then bolted the tire carrier on and mounted the spare on it for more underbody clearance during off roading xcursions... but this is a stronger set-up for a bumper. Which is probable a better trade off. smile

Please correct me Steve(CALMINI) if any thing is wrong...

Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

#394921 - 10/01/02 08:20 AM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper
calmini Offline

Loc: Bakersfield , CA
LAXterra said it correctly. With the spare tire so close to the stock bumper, there's no way to install a receiver hitch as high as we do with the full swing assembly bumper. We could make a replacement bumper without the swing away, but it would only have external tow hooks and license plate mounting. No receiver hitch. -Steve.

#394922 - 10/01/02 11:06 AM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper
Scott Offline

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado
I suspect there is a market out there for a replacement rear bumper that lets a 31" spare still go underneath, yet adds rear recovery points. The lack of rear recovery points is one of the biggest problems people are trying to solve, and having a more durable bumper at the same time would be nice. I know I would be interested in that setup.

#394923 - 10/01/02 11:14 AM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper
colorado_buff Offline

Loc: A mile high.....
I agree with Scott. I want to leave the spare underneath to allow for better access to the cargo area, but want a rear bumper that gives me recovery and jacking points. Steve, when you say you "could" make a standalone bumper, does that mean it's theoretically possible or that you would be willing to make one? I agree with LAXterra as well, it would be nice to be able to move the tire back and forth. What about the current bumper without the hitch to allow for attaching/detaching the carrier and storing the tire either on the carrier or underneath? Just trying to weigh my options. Thanks for your help.

#394924 - 10/01/02 03:14 PM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Question for Steve or Lax...
I have a Nissan Factory Hitch, and am currently look to replace my rear bumper with an aftermarket steel one possibly with a spare carrier. Would my factory hitch interfere with the Operation of the Tire carrier or the mounting of the bumper?
Extra recovery points are always good as the factory hitch decreases my angle of approach.
And Does Calmin offer a Rear bumper replacement WITHOUT the tire carrier? And how much would it cost have something made for me? I am very interested in doing this soon.
Any info would be much appreciated.
L8r

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#394925 - 11/01/02 07:25 AM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper
calmini Offline

Loc: Bakersfield , CA
Guys, the rear bumper w/o carrier is no problem. However, I doubt a 31" spare is possible with it. The stock bumper has a "crown" to it as it is a stamp formed part and that allows a little extra room for even the stock spare. Ours is perpendicular to the frame rails. I'll mount one up with a 31" and check. The stock receiver subframe is no problem with our bumper, so this would give you a class 3 hitch. As far as something that will allow you to mount a swing arm carrier later, I really don't see a way to do it. The parts are just too big and bulky to make removeable. I'll check back and let you know. -Steve.

#394926 - 11/01/02 08:33 AM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper
ned946 Offline

I hope I don't get thrown out of here cuz I'm not a manufacturer but my suggestion is to get the tire carrier. Later you'll be glad you did. The tire carrier is sooooo easy to manipulate (my 4 year old loves to "help daddy open the door").

Then, later, when you need space for a air tank, you'll have that (or whatever else) and an awesome departure angle to boot. And tow points. And a receiver hitch. And the ultimate protection for a "rear end". Need I go on? laugh

#394927 - 11/01/02 03:19 PM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper
01SalsaXterra Offline

Thanks alot Steve. I appreciated your prompt response. If possible can you privately email me with a price on just the bumper without the tire carrier? I'll just keep my spare on the roof while offroading, and inside for daily driving.

Ned, Thanx for the advice to get the tire carrier But, I havent seen a swing away carrier for the X that the spare Isnt blocking your rear vision. I'd rather deal with the spare inside or on top of my X then have to sacrifice rear visibility. I'll probably weld up my own tire carrier down the road. I'd like the spare located over that bump in the hatch where the first aid kit is. I understand that the 32 or 33" tires will probably still block vision, but I plan on hopefully keeping my 31's for a Long time.
L8r,
Ken

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: 01SalsaXterra ]

I got "IT" from ebay.

#394928 - 11/01/02 06:02 PM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott:
I suspect there is a market out there for a replacement rear bumper that lets a 31" spare still go underneath, yet adds rear recovery points.
Don't forget those of us with 32"s. And yes, I have my 32 underneath with my stock bumper and hitch.

#394929 - 11/01/02 09:43 PM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper
Wreckerboy Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Count me in amongst those who would be interested in the bumber without the swing away spare.

While nice, my concern is that if you get tagged in the rear in a minor parking lot incident (you know, the type the offending person usually just leaves for you to find) the spare gets pushed into the rear deck and does all sorts of expen$ive damage. As I will not be using mine for the sort of four wheeling that many others here are, things like departure angles are not as high a priority item for me as they are for others.

I would appreciate a strong bumper that incorporated a hitch. Plus, the thing liiks cool!

Steve - feel free to email me with pricing, availability, etc.

#394930 - 11/01/02 09:47 PM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
if something is tall enough to hit the tire and do damage, I don't thik your truck could be saved. I think if it's a simple fender bender, it'd be able to stay away from the window. This one is one nobody wants to test.

Matt

#394931 - 11/01/02 09:55 PM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper
LAXterra Offline

Like they say... a picture is worth a thousand words. smile

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: LAXterra ]

#394932 - 12/01/02 10:09 AM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper
01SalsaXterra Offline

What size BFG mud TA is that? looks like a 16" possibly a 265-75R16(32X10.5)?

I got "IT" from ebay.

#394933 - 12/01/02 07:49 PM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper
LAXterra Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 01SalsaXterra:
What size BFG mud TA is that? looks like a 16" possibly a 265-75R16(32X10.5)?

Partialy corect. wink The rim size is a 16". The tire is actually a 285/75R16 (33" X 11") laugh

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: LAXterra ]

#394934 - 16/01/02 06:53 AM Re: Calmini Rear Bumper
5steve5 Offline

Loc: Rockville, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by LAXterra:

Partialy corect. wink The rim size is a 16". The tire is actually a 285/75R16 (33" X 11") laugh

No wonder it looks so fricking huge... :p
I would be interested in one for the '02 with the carrier.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal