2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#395403 - 06/05/06 03:24 PM Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay, now that I am a Shrock fan for life, (front bump, sliders)
I want to replace those weak, ugly, worthless plastic pieces in the rear.

I like my under car spare so no need for a rear tire bump, but I do like the idea of all steel wrapping around the back...

Whos with me? [ThumbsUp]

next gen of course... :rolleyes:

#395404 - 06/05/06 04:03 PM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
Shrock Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
The plastic corner pieces are so gianormous, they dont lend themselves to being replaced with steel. They are flexible though, and pretty cheap if they do need to be replaced....

We'll keep thinking about this, but no satisfactory solution has resulted yet.

Thread w/ pics and info: http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=60;t=000316

#395405 - 06/05/06 08:28 PM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Shrock:
The plastic corner pieces are so gianormous
You're so not kidding here.. I was just under my truck taking a look at those things from the inside and there is a lot of wasted space in there. Thank those fender flares we've got! One thing though, anyone know what that black plastic box is hidden in the drivers side corner piece?

#395406 - 06/05/06 08:52 PM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im a welder and a machinist. And since our company just got a CNC plasma table i thought I'd look and see what was under the bumperettes. And hopefully come up with and Idea for a bumper that wrapped all the way around. Once I pealed the plastic off all I could say is there is no F'ing way. I had Ideas of copying TJM's rear rover design but no, no way. To much weight, to much metal, no way to make it look good. Then I thought of mini slider's to go under the plastic corners, but whats the point. the problem is the vehicles body follows that plastic all the way down. But on the up side I came up with and Idea for either a multi-mount, or a permenant winch cradle for the front. But then you are stuck with a plastic front bumper still, so,... Idunno. I'm building something, what Im not sure, but its coming.

#395407 - 06/05/06 08:54 PM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
I'm sure you could talk to someone like SLR to see if they have/can start working on a fiberglass rear package like they did (and very few used) for the '00-'04.

Enjoy the pictures in this thread. The bumper is on page two.

The way they were made it left quite a bit of frame that a bumper can be mounted to. Where there's a will there's a way.

#395408 - 06/05/06 08:54 PM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hell, I even thought of bending tubing!!

#395409 - 09/05/06 04:55 PM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Calmini's first prototype rear bumper had steel sides on it. It would have been very expensive and if hit hard could have caused body damage since there are few places to attach the side areas to. I don't know about the new gen Xterras, but it's about 35 bucks to replace the side plasic parts on the first gen Xterras.

-Doug

#395410 - 10/05/06 04:46 PM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like the idea about the tubing...
maybe we can do a combo with both steel plates and use tubing for the framework, wrapping around the corners...

will work an a photoshop version.

#395411 - 10/05/06 06:00 PM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Bumper is attached to frame and will move with the frame while the body may have a different amount of flex. The wings will rub on body panels which was a problem with a bumper that one of our club members ran into. Good idea in theory, but to make it happen is way more problem than it's worth

#395412 - 10/05/06 07:47 PM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like the fact that you can pop out the corners if they dent in.. I fell into a muddy rut and luckly all I had to do was pop out that dent and walla all better...

#395413 - 11/05/06 01:45 PM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The corners are cheap and easy to fix...but, I wanted corner protection so in a lay over or slide over (Into a rock or tree for example), the rear fenders and glass have a bit of a bumper to fend things off/buy a little space to avoid getting smashed.

laugh

I'm also thinking thick wall tube...maybe out from under the frame to wrap the corners, or like a wrap around Waag kind of effect?

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#395414 - 16/05/06 07:40 AM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found what is (in my situation) the perfect use for those empty cavities. The one on the passenger side anyway. With a little trimming an Oasis 12v 8cfm air compressor will fit in there. I'll attach a pic. It's held on with cable ties at the moment, but threaded rods with lock nuts will hold it when I'm done. Also, you don't have to remove nearly as much sheet metal as I did, but it made fitting the comp easier. Since the comp needs a close battery source for full pumping capacity I installed a new Optima yellow under the body. And a 2-gallon air tank fits nicely between the muffler and the body. In all, a complete air solution with no lost storage space! Once you have on-board air it becomes indispensable. Eg: refilling my tires in 8 secs, power washing the truck, filling an air mattres, running air tools, cleaning the truck out. Hmm, can't post the pic. Anyone tell me how I can?

#395415 - 16/05/06 07:48 AM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
TJ Offline

An Oasis? Holy shit. That's great!

To post a pic, it has to be posted somewhere on the web...then you right click it, and copy the properties (Something some thing.jpg) etc....and then paste it into your post here.

If its not posted on the web anywhere yet, and you need to post it somewhere...I use xterrafirma.com

Its free, unlimited, and xterra specific...you do need to register (Free), but then you can upload the pics from your camera or computer directly into the gallery (Self explanatory when you get there)...and, once in the gallery, you can link to the pics, and or copy/paste the image address as needed here, etc.

To get it to show in your posts, you have to bracket that paste with img tags...

the one on the left looks like this: Use Square brackets, not rounded like ()

[img]

the right tag looks like this:

[/img]

with a slash before the img part so the 'puter knows its the end.

you don't need spaces between the image address (The copied properties line) and the tags.

hope that helps.

laugh

[img] properties [/img]

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#395416 - 16/05/06 07:58 AM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmm, wish I had that much money. smile

I am going with a Viair and (2) 2.5gal tanks where the spare currently is (once I get my rear bumper). I have not fully decided where to mount the compressor, but maybe if that area doesn't get too muddy/wet I'll go for it.

#395417 - 16/05/06 08:08 AM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
TJ Offline

I HAD the tank where the spare used to be...I moved it, as its not as tucked up as I thought it was going to be...I have a 4 gal tank though...the 2.5's may tuck better.

If the 2.5 gal tanks are less than 6" diam....they MIGHT fit into the hollow part of the rear bumper...which would also protect them.

laugh

#395418 - 16/05/06 08:24 AM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
Anonymous
Unregistered

TJ, that's why I am going with 2 2.5 tanks and not 1 5gal. Also, the depth of where the spare goes in the new X's is deeper than the old, so there should be no problems. I just need to have someone make me a skid for back there.

I wanted a 5gal Pancake tank, but I can't find a 150psi one.

#395419 - 16/05/06 08:30 AM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
TJ Offline

I have sources for 150 psi pancakes...do you want them?

#395420 - 16/05/06 08:35 AM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh, wow...what are the dimensions? I have looked ever where and I could only find 135psi pancake tanks. If it will fit, I want it.

#395421 - 16/05/06 09:22 AM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
Anonymous
Unregistered

those cavities are huge .... i use mine to smuggle illegal immigrants accross the border.... 2 men or 3 women per side.... haa... just kidding ... i don t need the govt knocking on my door

#395422 - 16/05/06 10:26 AM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
TJ Offline

#395423 - 16/05/06 11:25 AM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Those are 150psi? If so, cool and tanks. That complete's my on-board air.

#395424 - 16/05/06 02:45 PM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
TJ Offline

Yeah, 150 psi, and, enough ports to add in/out, pressure switch, drain and pop-offs.

laugh

Most of the 135 psi pancakes I found were for nailer's and so forth, and had at most three ports....these are probably what you need.

#395425 - 13/06/06 09:41 AM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anybody know what the parts dealers call those plastic rear corner bumpers? I need to replace one for 2003 Xterra and can't find it on the internet anywhere!!

#395426 - 13/06/06 09:59 AM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
Anonymous
Unregistered

#395427 - 13/06/06 10:03 AM Re: Shrock: REAR BUMPER & CORNERS! (please make)
TJ Offline

So - Muzik -

Did you complete your OBA with the new 150 psi pancake?

laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal