So here is my Saga...
I purchased the Calmini Steering System and new Tie Rod assemblies from Courtesy Nissan in May of this year, and installed them in June.

I went to get my State inspection sticker on Septemeber 27th of this year, and failed due to what I was told was worn tie rod ends. I was given a rejection sticker which expires on the 27th of Nov, and thanks to a mis-diagnosis of the original problem compounded by the need for new rubber to pass the inspection, I was not aware of the real problem with my X until October 27th (one month after the fail date) - my worn Calmini idler arm bushing.

So that day (10/27/05) I called Courtesy Nissan and told them I needed a replacement set of bushings and a sleeve - they said it was being covered by Calmini's warrenty and was going to be sent out by them. A week later, nothing had arrived, so I call back(11/3/05) and they inform me that Calmini is backordered and will be sending out new idler arms in about two weeks, and that I've been added to the waiting list. The rep at Courtesy said that he asked how firm the "Two weeks" was, and was told that was an estimate and may or may not be accurate confused . In other words, they don't know.

Now my rejection sticker would expire by the end of the two weeks, and because of my job (State contractor for Fish And Wildlife divisions doing fgield research) that would be a huge problem, so I rotated my bushings on the 7th of November (because I was sick that weekend I didn't do it sooner) in the hope it would solve my problem long enough to get my inspection sticker - but it didn't work. So I decided to do the Calmini Idler Arm fix (I've already ordered the bearings), but without a new sleeve I'm not sure that the fix will be 100%, since I could see the sleeve is worn.

So I called Calmini on Nov. 8th, and talked to the Supervisor Dave. I said that, "I'd like to order the the Idler Arm Bushing and sleeve repair kit for the Nissan Steering System," so that I can get the sleeve with which to make the fix(or at least to temporarily fix the problem). I'm told they no longer ship out the bushings and sleeves, because "putting new bushings in a worn out hole isn't going to fix anything," so they were only sending out new, rebuilt Idler Arms. Supposedly these Arms are the fix to this problem (we've heard that before) So I ask to confirm that I can not get new bushings or a sleeve, and I'm told, "That's correct."

After hanging up and thinking of the possible solutions and questions I wanted to ask next, I call Calmini back, explain my situtaion with the registraion and insurance, and ask if there is a possiblitly they could bump me up the list so that I could remedy this situation(expecting a "No" but hoping for the best ), and am told how it wouldn't be fair to the others who have been waiting since the beginning of Septemeber for this fixed item and how it wouldn't be fair to any of them, who may or may not be in the same situation I am currently in. Ok, no problem, I understood - but i didn't appreciate the tone in which I was told this...a "Sorry, we can't do that" would have sufficed.
So I ask if there is anything I can do for a short term fix until the rebuilt Idler arms are ready, so that my registration isn't cancelled, or at the least so my X isn't towed while I'm on a boat out at sea.

At this point I'm informed that I can purchase the Bushing and Sleeve repair kit for 39.95 :rolleyes: (which is what I had called asking to order in the first place), but since I had bought the Steering System through Courtesy Nissan I had to purchase the repair kit through them as well. "Because of the nature of the steering system, we can not sell the repair kits if we haven't sold you the system directly) confused . Seeing as the bushings and sleeves won't work with anything but the Calmini steering system, and since the Calmini steering system should be the same no matter if I bought it from them Directly, Courtesy Nissan, or a group of Underpants Gnomes (since one would assume that only Calmini makes the Calmini Steering system and not another company) this doesn't make sense to me, so I say, "You're telling me that I have to buy your repair kit from the same aftermarket retailer of your steering system product because that's the nature of the steering system?" The answer I get is , "Correct."
No wonder some people have the bushing wear and other's don't. It's not how you maintain your Calmini system, it's where you purchased it from :rolleyes:

I call Courtesy Nissan, and they don't have a listing for the said Bushing and Sleeve repair kit. They ask If I have the part number, which I don't. I should have had Courtesy call, but I decided to call Calmini back, and ask for the part number, which Dave had waiting for me. He assures me they have the part in stock.

I call Courtesy back, give them the part number, and they put me on hold while they call Calmini with the part number to order the repair kit from them to be dropped shipped from Calmini directly to me. The Courtesy sales rep tells me that they'd called Calmini to have the item dropped shipped to me, and that Calmini said I will have the item in 4 to 5 business days. (that would be Nov 15th).

I was still confused at that point why I couldn't just buy the repair kit from Calmini directly??? confused

Ok, So Buisiness day #7 since ordering the Bushing and sleeve replacement kit (day #8 if you count the 12th, since it was the day after Veterans day) was today, Nov 18th, and the kit which I was told would arrive in 4-5 business days has not yet arrived.
I call Calmini at 3pm EST to find out what is happening with my Bushing and sleeve repair kit. I'm told that Calmini is not sending out the bushing and sleeve repair kit which I was charged for when I ordered it. I'm informed that I'll be getting an entirely new idler arm with bushing and sleeve in "two weeks" when they are "ready" to be shipped (Sound familiar? I heard that two weeks before today
Quote:
A week later, nothing had arrived, so I call back(11/3/05) and they inform me that Calmini is backordered and will be sending out new idler arms in about two weeks
- This is apparently a definition of two weeks with which I was not aware.)
I ask to speak to a supervisor, whom I'm informed is Dave and who happens to be out at lunch. I leave a number and ask for him to call me back.

At 3:48 PM EST, I call Courtesy Nissan to cancel my purchase of the Bushing and Sleeve repair kit, and explain to them the details of my phone call with Calmini. They contact Calmini, and I'm informed by Courtsey that Calmini was confused on their end of what I was asking and my parts would be 3 day Airmailed to me, and that I'd have it by Wednesday. I say thanks, and hangup and call Calmini back at 3:59 pm.

Wednesday, Nov 23rd, leaving me Thursday, Friday and Saturday to install the part and get my sticker so my insurance and registration are not cancelled. That is because Inspection Stations in Mass are not open on Sundays.

I'm transferred straight to Dave. Dave now tells me when I tell him of my conversation with Courtesy that I would get the part on Tuesday, not Wednesday. Yet that still means I'm in a pinch and would/may have to take a day off from work. I tell Dave this and ask what Calmini can do for me since they put me in this situation by not getting the part I ordered and paid for in the time they had promised. Dave asked, what do you want, I ask what can you offer. He says that I obviously want something so I should get to the point. I asked about getting a half rebate on the bushing/sleeve kit for my troubles (costing Calmini $25) - Dave said no, they can't do that, then states that he was already doing me a favor by sending me the bushing and sleeve repair kit, because they aren't doing that anymore. That's not what Dave told me on the 8th when he said that I
Quote:
...can purchase the Bushing and Sleeve repair kit for 39.95, but since I had bought the Steering System through Courtesy Nissan I had to purchase the repair kit through them as well.
I remind him I paid for the kit, which I did not get in the promised time. Then Dave said they are paying the $55 for the airfreight, not me or Courtesy dave then claims that that Courtesy doesn't call in orders but faxes, but I distinctly remember being put on hold by Courtsey while they called Calmini to place their order. The salesperson even told me when I placed my order that the People at Calmini told them 4-5 busniness days for shipping.

Fed up as I am, I inform Dave it wa nice doing business with Calmini and I will not be recomending them to anyone in NEXTerra or any other Xterra owners. I finish the call by saying it was "nice" doing businiess with them.

So for all my frustration and problems, Calmini doesn't want to do anything decent and make an unhappy customer happy. Oh, they paid $55 for Airfreight, but I'd expect them to do that and refund my shipping costs since they didn't meet the deadline they had told Courtesy, who told me.

Afterall, it's Calmini's fuckup, or at least Dave's fuckup, since he himself misrepresented the status of the part when Dave himself assured me that Calmini had the part in stock.

The Calmini sitckers on my X have come off. I won't be purchasing anything from them ever again, not with the way I've been fucking placed under the gun like this.

Anyone else remember when SLR had really bad Customer Service? Calmini just became worse.
Dave and Calmini apparently not only don't give a shit about how they treat their customers, they don't give a shit about getting things purchased by their customers to them when they say they'll arrive.

I don't know which is worse, the customer service or the Steering System which wears out within 6K miles or 3 months and 15 days...