2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#396199 - 15/05/04 11:12 AM Shrockworks Sliders Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recently added Shrockworks Sliders and absolutely love them. One thing that made the install much harder than it had to be was that the bolts were about 1/8 inch too short to get a bite on the bolt holes in the frame with the washer and the lockwasher on them. I had to partially flatten the lock washer with a hammer in order to get them to bite at all and even then it was hit or miss. Anyone else have this experience?

#396200 - 15/05/04 02:20 PM Re: Shrockworks Sliders Install
FinallyAnXer Offline

Loc: Bradford, PA
I would look into replacing those bolt with longer ones, before counting on the sliders to support the weight of the vehicle.

Also, flattening a lock washer with a hammer, can defeat the purpose of the washer all together. When you locate longetr bolts, replace the lock washers as well, to ensure they are doing the job so you don't have your bolts rattling loose.

Hope this helps.

-Jeremy

#396201 - 15/05/04 04:05 PM Re: Shrockworks Sliders Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didn't use a lock washer or anything. Just bolted them on with lock tight. They have been holding up pretty good.

#396202 - 15/05/04 05:06 PM Re: Shrockworks Sliders Install
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
I'd recommend NOT using the stock hardware that came with the steprails(factory)! If Shrock isn't supplying them get some 8.8 metric bolts with flatwashers and lock washers. We have had people in the club have bolts come loose using the "factory" bolts.

-Rick

#396203 - 15/05/04 06:33 PM Re: Shrockworks Sliders Install
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
They should have come with all new hardware, especially considering they're held in place by 6 more bolts than the factory ones...

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#396204 - 16/05/04 05:40 AM Re: Shrockworks Sliders Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

They did come with all new hardware. The bolts are pretty beefy, but the same length as the stock bolts. The washers are a little bit thicker, though. Once I got a bite they tightened up fine and I only had to really flatten out one lock washer and then only partially. But, man, it was a bitch...especially near the rear wheel.

#396205 - 17/05/04 08:23 AM Re: Shrockworks Sliders Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Abt:
They did come with all new hardware. The bolts are pretty beefy, but the same length as the stock bolts. The washers are a little bit thicker, though. Once I got a bite they tightened up fine and I only had to really flatten out one lock washer and then only partially. But, man, it was a bitch...especially near the rear wheel.
For my sliders, I bought 10mm/1.25 thread 30mm(full thread)long from Fastenal. It was about 9 bucks for 15.

#396206 - 17/05/04 09:08 AM Re: Shrockworks Sliders Install
OffroadX Offline

That's weird, I don't recall having any such issues installing mine.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#396207 - 17/05/04 09:49 AM Re: Shrockworks Sliders Install
IceChickenX Offline

Loc: Huntsville, AL
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Abt:
I recently added Shrockworks Sliders and absolutely love them. One thing that made the install much harder than it had to be was that the bolts were about 1/8 inch too short to get a bite on the bolt holes in the frame with the washer and the lockwasher on them. I had to partially flatten the lock washer with a hammer in order to get them to bite at all and even then it was hit or miss. Anyone else have this experience?
I had the same exact experience this weekend when installing my Shrockworks sliders.

My solution? I went to the hardware store, purchased longer bolts (obviously with the same thread spec.) and had no problems. I was going to email Jim some pics and suggestions (for at least the '02 models...I don't know what it's like for the others).

IceChickenX

#396208 - 04/06/04 06:52 PM Re: Shrockworks Sliders Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just received my sliders today and the bolts were plenty long enough so Jim must have switched bolts. (although I was two bolts short)

#396209 - 13/06/04 09:22 PM Re: Shrockworks Sliders Install
Shrock Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
This is fixed, thanks to those who called and let me know. We received 25mm instead of 30mm bolts in a shipment from Fastenal AKA FastenNOT and didnt notice it. Fastenal is now fired. The new supplier seems much more reliable.

#396210 - 13/06/04 11:40 PM Re: Shrockworks Sliders Install
IceChickenX Offline

Loc: Huntsville, AL
Quote:
Originally posted by Shrock:
This is fixed, thanks to those who called and let me know. We received 25mm instead of 30mm bolts in a shipment from Fastenal AKA FastenNOT and didnt notice it. Fastenal is now fired. The new supplier seems much more reliable.
Holy, cow....didn't mean to get someone fired eek

IceChickenX

#396211 - 14/06/04 05:57 AM Re: Shrockworks Sliders Install
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by Shrock:
Way to go Shrock! Can't wait to get my sliders this week!

#396212 - 14/06/04 08:53 AM Re: Shrockworks Sliders Install
Anonymous
Unregistered

Going to pickup mine today along with the front bumper...

Thanks Jim!

#396213 - 14/06/04 06:07 PM Re: Shrockworks Sliders Install
OffroadX Offline

"Someone" didn't get fired, he just found a new supplier for the bolts.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal